Rollergirls (maybe spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jan 4, 2006 #1 of 39
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

C'mon, admit it. You TiVo'd Rollergirls on A&E. I actually wanted to see the roller derby action but the camera shots were so tight and the editiing was so choppy that it was hard to figure out what was going on. It was kinda funny that Venis Envy's (big) ass was hanging out for half the action. It was weird that they referred to the matches as "games". I don't know how choreographed this version of roller derby is but it seems to be a lot less violent than the "fake" roller derby of my youth. I'll try to watch another episode. I couldn't care less about the up close and personal background info on the skaters, boyfriends and moms.

2. Jan 4, 2006 #2 of 39
    coolpenguin

coolpenguin New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Glen Burnie, MD
    it's tivo'd but i haven't watched it yet. potential guilty pleasure or is it just too bad?

3. Jan 4, 2006 #3 of 39
    Nfuego

Nfuego Finally-My ugly mug

Sep 27, 2004
    Springfield,...
    It was ok. I enjoyed it...I remember watching rollerderby when I was a kid, too.

I wonder why it is never on TV anymore. I did some internet searching and found many cities that have rollerderby teams. It would be fun to watch!

4. Jan 4, 2006 #4 of 39
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Roller Derby tried to make a comeback on one of the cable channels a few years ago (I want to say USA or Spike, but I don't recall). It was called something else...maybe Roller Games. It seemed they were trying to ride the popularity of the Pro Wrestling boom of a few years ago. It just didn't have the same spark that the old rollar derby of my youth had. Actually, I find that Pro Wrestling these days doesn't have the same spark that it did when I was a kid, when it was an underground sport. Anyway, I think the roller games flopped, and was gone pretty quickly. I would bet, if this show is a hit, it will make a comeback attempt.

Now if they could show the Raquel Welch Roller Derby movie (Kansas City Bomber) again, I'll be happy :)

5. Jan 4, 2006 #5 of 39
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004

Advertisements

I too have a SL/SR for it but haven't watched it. I don't know if its an actual Rollerderby like in the olden days or its a sitcom with Roller Derby scenes in it. I guess I will have to watch to find out.

Rich

6. Jan 4, 2006 #6 of 39
    YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I recorded it, but not because I wanted to see the rollerderby scenes. I like the documentaries like this on A&E, and this one seems like it could be cheese-alicious. :)

7. Jan 4, 2006 #7 of 39
    jerobi

jerobi News/Deal Junkie

Sep 28, 2000
    I almost tivo'd it just for the roller derby bits, but I figured it would suck. Sounds like I wasn't wrong.

So, did the losing captain at least have to wrestle an alligator in the middle of the rink?

8. Jan 4, 2006 #8 of 39
    KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    This version of roller derby is 100% real. The outcome nor the game is not scripted in any way.

The sport is growing at a crazy rate. I was told that participation jumped from 10,000 to 30,000 in one year and every bout I have ever been to has been sold out. Capacity at the rink I go to is about 300-400 people. Larger venues around the country are selling out as well.. largest capacity Ive heard of is just over 1,000 but there are probably places that can accomodate more spectators.

I skate with some of the girls who do roller derby here locally and these girls train their butts off. In fact, one of the girls skated 30 miles with me on Saturday on roller skates, not inlines.. THAT is hardcore. They practice 4-5 times a week, including derby scrimages and speed practice. It's quite admirable to see the work ethic most of them have. I've been asked to both coach and referee but the amount of time and dedication you need to invest into this sport is just way too demanding to me.

9. Jan 4, 2006 #9 of 39
    coolpenguin

coolpenguin New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Watched it this afternoon, and I'll keep watching. Fun stuff.

I also remember the "revival" a few years ago. I think it was before the movie that came out...was it along the lines of the basketball played with trampolines?

10. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    I watched this on my Zen Vision on my flight this morning. It was pretty entertaining and definetely not scripted (at least not the matches). I'll be keeping my Season Pass for now. Oh, and here is the website they kept showing during the show:

http://www.txrd.com/

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I watched it...it was OK, but certainly nothing special...may watch it again if I can't find anything better...I was hoping for more cheesiness, instead of plans for TP'ing, and someone referring to "Lux" as an "idol"...
    I used to watch Roller Games back in the day (back in the day meaning around the time of the American Gladiators heyday)...there was also another national roller derby broadcast on TNN (I think) more recently, which was really a pretty awful show, but hey...the name of that "league" isn't coming to mind...

12. sallypnut

sallypnut Older than I look.

Oct 8, 2001
    Mountain...
    I loved it. :eek:

Cheesy and fun, and those girls are TUFF!

13. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I watched it and even despite the potential "eye candy" factor, I thought it was very boring. I don't know why I thought this was going to be a fictional show, but that explains why it seemed like an episode of COPS to me in the way it was filmed. So this is a real league? Hmmmmmm...I only watched the first 15 minutes before deleting it and the SP. Now that I know it's non-fiction, I might watch again as I thought it was very badly scripted...now I know why...

14. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I would posit that has less to do with the declining quality of the sports in question and more to do with you growing up. :D

15. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    I thought it was done pretty bad but I can't help watching short skirts on wheels :)

I used to love RollerDerby from my youth.

16. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    Do you know that for sure? After watching half an episode of Rollergirls, I came to the conclustion that this was a fictional reality show. All of the non-gaming stories seemed like a really bad soap opera. I didn't belive this was "reality" at all.

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Probably both :)

18. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    Gender question here.

From the way this sport has been publicized over the past couple of decades, it really seems to focus a lot on women (though men play it too, as we all know). Why aren't women playing other high-contact sports as much (such as tackle football, lacrosse, hockey, boxing, wrestling (And even pro wrestling if ya wanna consider it a sport...each WWE show has one or MAYBE two women's events per night, which are, in general, more for sex appeal than actual wrestling like the guys do)...they play them, but you rarely get to see them)?

What makes Roller Derby different?

-Mike

19. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Ignoring for the moment as to whether or not RD is real, the major difference with regards to the high-contact nature of the sport is that in RD, when people make contact with each other, they are, for the most part both moving in the same direction, while in all the other sports they are mostly moving towards each other.

Moving towards each other greatly increases the force of the impact compared to moving in the same direction. The difference in relative velocities of the two RD bodies during contact is very low.

Now, I'm not arguing for or against women playing those sports, I'm just pointing out that RD is probably a much lower-impact sport than the others, despite all the contact.

20. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    I finally watched it last night. I am mixed on my feelings for it. I will give it another episode and then see how I feel. The action scenes I enjoyed a lot, its the other stuff that I am unsure about.

Rich