Rollback Bolt VOX Hydra to Classic

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Tjernagel, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Tjernagel

Tjernagel New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    This may be a repeated thread but I thought it well worth re-posting.

I took advantage of the Summer Breeze sale and purchased two Bolt VOX 3tb to replace my Premier XL's. I was really excited about it and after they were up and running was disappointed with the new Hydra interface.

After contacting TiVo to tell them I was sending the Bolts back they provided a means to return to the classic menu.

Go to Help, Select Repeat Guided Tour. Instead of three Thumbs Down, select two Thumbs Down and two Rewinds. It will then ask you if you want to install the Classic Menu. Follow the onscreen instructions.

TiVo Rollback Hydra.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    CloudAtlas likes this.
  3. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Blow away definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

If you say that you are blown away by something, or if it blows you away, you mean that you are very impressed by it.

4. Tjernagel

Tjernagel New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    rlundstedt and OrangeCrush like this.
  5. Tjernagel

Tjernagel New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Or shot dead... I fixed it just for you! :)

rlundstedt likes this.
  6. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    No, not really. When you are the only person with an interpretation of what a phrase means while everyone else has the exact opposite interpretation then the whole concept of language kind of breaks down.

7. stonewallers

stonewallers Member

Apr 8, 2010
    If only this thread was here two days ago. I finally got a chance to setup the bolt on Saturday only to discover it did in fact update to hydra. I did eventually find the roamio thread but had to read through pages and pages for verification that the same technique worked for the bolt. I'm a bit too conservative when trying posted solutions. (If the first post had been updated to note that the posted method was still current and worked for the Bolt, that would have saved some time). But, at least it took much less time to rollback hydra than to verify the technique worked on the Bolt.

rlundstedt, rdrrepair and leiff like this.
  8. fredi

fredi Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Maryland
    I appreciate the post, because I couldn't get my new "Springtime" Bolt to downgrade and the picture verifies I'm doing it the right way. My first Bolt had no problem downgrading.

9. Jan 8, 2019 #9 of 25
    hankuro

hankuro Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Glen Cove...
    many thanks for this, TJ!

CloudAtlas likes this.
  10. keithind

keithind New Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Tjernagel, thank you. I just got a new TiVo Bolt Vox and for the first time since 1999 I HATED the interface update. I'm currently "Downgrading" to receive my upgrade! Thank you again.

TiVo, please fix you NEW interface. I actually am an interface designer. You broke the simplicity you brought to the market. Your new look is fine, but your menu organization and navigation options are horrible. Thank you TiVo for the updated hardware. Thank you TiVo for the upgraded remote. TiVo, please replace your new interface designers. Thank you TiVo for an awesome product.

11. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    The sooner people migrate to TE4 the better, TE3 is headed the down the same path as Windows 7 End of life is coming. When that happens no more updates. Most people just handed a remote can navigate TE4 quicker because it's set up like a PC. No legacy baggage. TE3 was designed for 4 X 3 aspect ratio TV not 16 X9, TE4 makes better use of screen real estate.

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Sorry to be "one of those," but: what's the rush. And TE3 mostly works--what updates are seen as needed? (Sure, I'd like AutoSkip, but I can live with SkipMode; and then I get a Suggestions that works, and Live Guide besides.)

Yeah, I'll likely be on TE4 or an upcoming TE5, one day. In the meanwhile, I'm content.

(On the real estate front, I'm not quite sure I understand: my TE3 box seems to use the entire 16x9 space, not limiting itself to 4x3. And I can navigate it pretty quickly--some people say that TE4 imposes extra steps to do the same thing.)

MargeD55, shwru980r, humbb and 2 others like this.
  13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There hasn't been a TE3 update in over a year. I don't expect there will ever be another.

14. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    I will give up my Te3 when they pry it from my cold, dead hands. For me, Hydra is pure garbage.

15. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Essex...
    Seconded!

RoamioJeff likes this.
  16. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Uh, what about the variable quick play speeds that TE3 (also) just got a month or two ago???
    EXACTLY...there really isn't anything that needs "fixed" - which hopefully means that someone doesn't come along TO "fix" it...& then BREAK THREE other things that already worked, in the process! :eek:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Mikeguy and wtherrell like this.
  17. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have no idea what you are posting. Please point me to a source of this update. Thanks.

18. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I suspect that feature has been there for a long time, but only recently revealed. The actual software (TE3 20.7.4.RC42) has been out for a long time.

Mikeguy likes this.
  19. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Excuse me, I should have said quick-mode speeds...sorry....
    Adjusting QuickMode speed via SPS codes

But you really don't know for sure, correct? And...if it's been there - in a FINISHED, ready to use state - then why was it only now posted to Ted's Facebook page? Does EVERY feature "enhancement" require Tivo to send out a compete, new software (version) update? (I'm asking, as I don't know 1 way or the other...) Since evidently nobody appears to have known about this until very recently, for all practical purposes, it did NOT exist before then, for subs to use!
    I couldn't care less if it was added via an actual, software update, or was delivered there by a homing pigeon. The point is - it DID get added &/or was discovered, to the TE3's AND TE4's at the same time. So the statement that TE3's are NOT getting any updates, is factually incorrect.
    Maybe Tivo has some other hidden "gems" in the current (TE3) software that have yet to be revealed...who knows? But if they do, then as far as I'm concerned, it's an "update". Maybe that's their game plan - slowly "reveal" features in TE3 (&TE4), that have been sitting there all along, to make it appear like they're still supporting this older operating system & keep their subs from leaving...again, unlikely anybody on this board knows Tivo's motives on this.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  20. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    All I know for sure is that this post shows that 20.7.4.RC42 *software* was released on or near 5/10/2018, which was well over a year ago. If the variable quick-mode speeds work on TE3, then that isn't due to a recent *software* update.

Why was it only recently posted? You'd have to ask Ted, but I'm guessing they wanted to test it, or maybe it was just a good time to release a freebie backdoor goody for the loyal fans on this board.

Some feature enhancements do show up after a software release, because some features require support from TiVo servers, so such enhancements can be given or taken back at the whim of TiVo.