Roku’s New Boxes Highlight Where TiVo is Failing in OTT Content

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sbiller, Jul 26, 2011.

1. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    http://www.gizmolovers.com/2011/07/26/rokus-new-boxes-highlight-where-tivo-is-failing-in-ott-content/

MegaZone analysis on the current handling of OTT on the TiVo platform with some recommendations on how to improve it. I wish TiVo management would read this post and hope they are already addressing some of his concerns.

2. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    While Roku is great for Internet video, it sucks for playing local media so they each have their own strong suits. I dont know if the 2 is any better than the 1 but I havent seen it touted as a feature so I doubt it is.

3. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Yes, TiVo is licensing their interface and OTT features to Best Buy but they're going to turn around and license theirs from Roku. That makes perfect sense.

The problem is that TiVo has failed to sell people on their features for integrated searching and browsing of content. That was supposed to be their "killer app" for the one box strategy. That failure is surprising to me because it seems far superior to disparate apps for my needs.

Of course it doesn't help when they turn around and blow the model up by offering something like Hulu Plus which isn't included in the integration.

4. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Memo: TiVo's Big Brain

RE "Killer Application or Killer App"

In the future when someone suggests that you need a "Killer App", they do not mean, repeat do not mean blow yourself up and literally kill the app !!!

Geezzz :rolleyes:

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It turns out that search is not the killer feature users want as TiVo predicted when they introduced the universal search. Until they have an open platform that content providers can use to provide their content, they will always fall behind Roku, Boxee, etc. And if Apple opens up Apple TV to app developers, I don't see how TiVo can compete. Telling users how great their "search" is doesn't really sell me on TiVo.

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Not just Apple. If any big company opens up their box Tivo will be in a lot of trouble. Google is going to have an app store soon enough. It certainly can't hurt the product (I bought one and returned it the next day due to it's ability to underwhelm me).

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    When you search for programs on the Tivo and what you find is OTT content, you can't put it in your now playing list. If you don't watch OTT content when you find it, you have to repeat the search again. The paradigm for Tivo users is to search for content to watch later.

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    I really don't think there's any likelihood of Tivo improving in the OTT arena significantly at a rate other than glacially slow behind other, nimbler providers.

I hope to goodness that Tivo does NOT buy Roku - they would suck the life out of it and essentially kill it.

9. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Actually I do believe that Roku will need a buyer. Not sure if it would do TiVo or Roku any good if it was TiVo.

Roku like TiVo is a one horse show. Their future depends on the market wanting/needing stand alone streaming devices. Lots of direct players with Boxee, Apple, and Google.

It is the indirect players, Smart DVRs, Smart TVs, Smart blu-ray players, Smart Gaming counsoles, Smart receivers, etc. that may end up taking out stand alone streaming devices. Companies like Apple and Google will just move their software onto these smart devices leaving stand alone device with a very small niche market.

This will likely take years, so lots can happen, but I would expect Roku to either be bought by someone making other smart devices or try to sell their software services to them. Just like Google is doing with Sony, TiVo is doing with Best Buy, and Apple maybe doing if they build an actual Apple TV, TV.

10. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    I really doubt Tivo will buy Roku. Or more accurately I doubt Roku would sell out to Tivo given the history. The founder and CEO of Roku was also the founder and CEO of ReplayTV. I don't know for certain, but I'd imagine their might be some "bad blood" there.

11. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Ironic isn't it? The only competitor who was ever on the same level of TiVo has a superior app system that TiVO could only dream about.

I've been thinking about Roku integrated into TiVo for a few months now and I don't think I could imagine how perfect that box would be: Quad tuners, built in SDV, VoD and Roku? :)

12. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Be sweet wouldn't it? They should just realize they share(d) some common enemies and be willing to let bygones be bygones, if there really is any bad blood. Certainly not TiVo's fault certain entities essentially sued Replay out of existence.....

13. PaJo

PaJo New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    highspire,pa...
    We have 4 Roku devices, including the Roku2 and one HD Tivo. Although we currently use the Roku far more than the HD Tivo, I believe the Tivo still has it's place. Comcast and others are leading the fight to restrict how much video you can stream over the net, and as that number goes down the value of Tivo goes up because the Tivo is connected more to the cable providers and the content they provide. Roku is better over the net, but Tivo is better for cable content. As for local, it's only a matter of time for someone to release a better channel to watch local video on the Roku. Right now you can hook up an external drive to the USB port on the Roku and watch mp4 videos, play music and view photos. The New Roku 2 has a slot for external memory for games and channels ( hey we got Angry Birds ), it is only a matter of time for the developers to add more to that area. Roku is more like the Tivo of yesterday, encourages people to develop for it - years ago Tivo loved the hackers because they brought innovation . At any rate it makes no difference because the cable companies own the lines and they can control what goes over those line and in that sense Tivo is somewhat more connected to them and their content.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    He learned from his mistakes. Tivo has never learned from a mistake. They just keep repeating the same ones over and over.