Rocketboom on TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVoPony, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Dec 7, 2005 #1 of 292
    TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...

Advertisements

There have been a few posts recently suggesting that it would be really really cool to have videoblogs available on the TiVo Service.

We're happy to announce a new trial of our video downloading service: Rocketboom is coming to TiVo.

There's a new Showcase, just published tonight, which will allow you to subscribe your DVR to receive a daily dose of Rocketboom goodness. Downloads (to broadband connected Series2 DVRs) should begin on Monday. Videos should be available on your box by dinnertime...that's the goal.

What is Rocketboom? It's one of the leading videoblogs on the net...a daily three minute slice of irreverent news and information. Give it a try. :)

If you don't see the Showcase yet on your DVR, it should appear after the next service connection.

You can also subscribe or get more details at www.tivo.com/rocketboom .

Enjoy! :)

Pony

2. Dec 7, 2005 #2 of 292
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Cool! Its a good start I say.

3. Dec 7, 2005 #3 of 292
    ChileHead

ChileHead TiVo Addict

Feb 10, 2002
    cool ... how about allowing cut & paste of our service number from another screen with dashes, so we don't have to edit those out when subscribing?

4. Dec 7, 2005 #4 of 292
    peteypete

peteypete New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Pony!!

Excellent!! I asked about rocketboom here and didn't get many responses. I also emailed rocketboom several times about providing a .mpg file, but never got a response. I thought it was becasue they were "mac centric", but I guess you guys got something done with them!!

P

5. Dec 7, 2005 #5 of 292
    smoknyreyz

smoknyreyz Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

awesome!
    signed up
    i hope to see diggnation added to the list!

6. Dec 7, 2005 #6 of 292
    peteypete

peteypete New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Will tivo get a plug on rocketboom?
    I think tivo should run one ad on their show. They are always funny and it's never clear what's an ad and what's the show.

7. Dec 7, 2005 #7 of 292
    xnevergiveinx

xnevergiveinx New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    cool, in

8. Dec 8, 2005 #8 of 292
    jstr

jstr New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I've been a subscriber to Rocketboom videocasts for some time now and have enjoyed it quite a bit. It's one of the best videocasts out there. I've been trying out various video conversion programs in an attempt to convert my subscribed videocasts from .mov to .mpg format in order to transfer to TiVo, but haven't found a good solution yet. TiVo has just solved my problem, at least in regard to Rocketboom.

I'm so glad to see TiVo make this move. Videocasts are even more suited to TiVo than the podcasts that are now available through the new TiVo Online Services. TiVo getting into the act should be enough incentive for videocasters to produce .mpg versions of their shows.

9. Dec 8, 2005 #9 of 292
    rcapolete

rcapolete Member

Oct 4, 2004
    they already did this. i just signed up for the new priority listing and you can now cut and paste with the dashes in the number and they are automatically stripped away when you submit it.

10. Dec 8, 2005 #10 of 292
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Better yet, have an account management page, where you can sub/unsub to those features, and trigger priority updates. Your personal information and TSNs would be pre-entered.

11. Dec 8, 2005 #11 of 292
    DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    This sounds interesting and I signed up for it. I just hope sooner or later we can add these things directly from the TiVo by getting an "Internet Season Pass" or something so we can easily add and remove these subscriptions. It'd be very annoying to have a separate manage page for each subscription and then have to find them again in order to unsubscribe.

12. Dec 8, 2005 #12 of 292
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    :up:

yep, it worked for me as well with just a cut and paste of the TSN. Dan203 provided them a lot of the javascript to do this :up:

Pony, they need to change the verbiage and example on the page to show that dashes are allowed now

13. Dec 8, 2005 #13 of 292
    TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    We serve up a nice picnic lunch, and you guys focus on the plastic silverware. ;)

We'll get the dash/no-dash stuff cleaned up.

But hey, how 'bout that Rocketboom stuff? :D

Pony

14. Dec 8, 2005 #14 of 292
    Stainless Steele

Stainless Steele Wake-Maker!

Feb 2, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Cool Pony!

15. Dec 8, 2005 #15 of 292
    shady

shady Previously European TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...
    Just subscribed.

I really like the direction TiVo is heading in this area

thanks Pony

16. Dec 8, 2005 #16 of 292
    phildog

phildog New Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Hey - I'm assuming DirecTivo users are left out in the cold on this, correct?

If I bought a new tivo, could I use this feature without a subscription? (Yes, I think this feature is cool enough to warrant buying a 2nd tivo).

I LOVE Rocketboom and think this is awesome. I'd kill for some plastic silverware over here :) since us DirecTV with Tivo users aren't even allowed to eat with our hands.

17. Dec 8, 2005 #17 of 292
    slapcast

slapcast New Member

Dec 8, 2005
    Pony - does this mean that the series 2 boxes now support subscription to arbitrary RSS feeds with enclosures? (i.e. I want to subscribe to other vodcasts as well). Or is Tivo creating a "walled garden" like the old AOL and ignoring the big-old-scary-internet?

More details please!

18. Dec 8, 2005 #18 of 292
    DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Yep, this won't work for DirecTivo units because they don't have any home media features. This is DirecTV's choice and not TiVo's....TiVo very much would like to give you these features. You are required to have a subscription to use any of the home media features so you won't just be able to buy a Series 2 and use it without a sub.

19. Dec 8, 2005 #19 of 292
    dzirpolo

dzirpolo New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    Colorado
    Very cool. I can't wait to subscribe.
    How about offering 'The Buzz Report' from cnet.

20. Dec 8, 2005 #20 of 292
    SullyND

SullyND W: 12-7 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Nice lunch :)

Subscribing with the dashes worked for me, however I do agree it would be nice to have one page were you can log in and choose to subscribe/unsubscribe to different features.