Rock Legends on AXSTV

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mr.unnatural, Sep 16, 2020 at 8:35 AM.

1. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...

Advertisements

This show has been around for quite a while but I don't recall seeing any threads about it. There's a new season starting up soon so I figured I'd start a thread on it. It starts back up on Oct 4th but you can catch past episodes at any time as they're always being aired. I find the show very interesting in that they explore the history of famous artists and rock groups and explore their roots. If you're into that sort of thing I think you'll enjoy the series. The current season is no longer focused on individual groups or artists but rather various genres of rock music so they tend to cover several different groups or artists as part of the discussion.

The show was clearly a British production and there appears to be many more episodes than are being aired here in the U.S. but I haven't been able to find anything more about it. It's not even listed on epguides.com. You can find the complete schedule here.

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The bolded is key. I've watched a few of these episodes, and I've found that they get their facts wrong simply by not being here in America. I do enjoy the shows they have on individual albums and how they are recorded and their top ten lists (though they take the MTV route and have people who often have nothing to do with the band commenting. There have been times that the people commenting sometimes haven't even heard the tune or album much. But it's still fun

3. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    You're probably right. I have no idea just how factual the bios are about the specific artists, although they probably got most of the info from Wikipedia or some other source. It's still an interesting series. I like how just about every group they discuss has been "influential" in the music business.

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I watch a few AXS shows, and if I'm scrolling thru the guide and an episode of this has someone interesting, I'll record it.

I like Katie Daryl and Top Ten Revealed. They have a few Best Of shows that can be fun also.

Steveknj likes this.
  5. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...

Advertisements

I set up a season pass for Rock Legends quite a while back and I think I've recorded every episode that's aired on AXSTV. There were a lot of artists that I didn't really know much about or even listen to very often, but the stories were always interesting.

Another show on AXSTV that I enjoy is "Brian Johnson: A Life on the Road." Brian Johnson of AC/DC interviews various artists and travels around with them during the show. I think he only did about 12 episodes over two seasons but it's probably still airing once in a while.

astrohip likes this.
  6. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    That was really good. I enjoyed that too. A lot about the artists growing up, influences, early life with their bands, and of course the rock and roll life.

astrohip likes this.
  7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Thanks, I'll look for it next time I'm scrolling around.

8. gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    I used to watch world's greatest tribute bands, and then some of the concerts that they'd show on axs, but then I dumped directv, and haven't been able to get it. It's seriously lacking on much in the way of streaming services. Outside of Philo, which is really too much of a duplication of other stuff I have elsewhere, it just doesn't seem to have a streaming presence.

9. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I would miss this channel if I gave up DirecTV. I watch it quite often.

I miss Worlds Greatest Tribute Bands. That was a fun show to watch. Some of the bands were spot on, others were pretty bad. I hope they plan on bring it back at some point.

10. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    This! Whether the bands were good or REALLY bad, it was always entertaining.

11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Toward the end they seemed to be repeating bands they had shown before. Maybe they just ran out content? I don't know. Here in my town, pre-covid, we had concerts every summer with tribute bands that we would go to. They were always fun and the talent was similar. Some were very good, some were terrible. I remember a Stones tribute band that was so bad, the funniest part was watching the lead singer TRY and, well, move like Jagger. Comedy gold!