1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robot Wars - new series on Science Channel

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by nickels, Aug 6, 2018.

1. nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    Coming this week, after Battlebots, is the newest robot fighting show: Robot Wars

Personally, I can't get enough robot fighting action, so I am looking forward to this show. Does it take place in the BattleBot arena? I'm not sure??? The main difference appears to be that instead of just fighting an opponent, there are also "house bots" in the ring as well. The house bots are much larger than the contestant robots. From the trailer it appears that there are three different house bots to choose from for each battle or they each have an area in the ring that they protect. Who knows? This may just be them airing old shows from the BBC, so I am not sure if these are actually new or just BBC rebroadcasts? My guess is these are old episodes and if they take off here we will eventually get a new US version. We will know a lot more details after the first episode this Wednesday, Aug 8th on Science at 10pm.

IT'S ROBOT FIGHTING TIME! (again)

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm interested in this show. I'd swear that I've seen at least one of the house bots from a show a number of years ago but the memory is hazy. Anyway, I like Battlebots and have learned to record it and then just speed through everything that isn't actually the fights.

3. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Just watched this during lunch. Meh. Very slow action compared to Battlebots IMO. Will probably give it one more episode.

4. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I watched the first episode last night and that was all I could stand. The announcers were horrible.
    And the robots seemed surprisingly weak. They seem to be in the same weight class as the bots on Battlebots; but I can't help thinking that they'd get quickly annihilated by the likes of Bronco, Minotaur, or Tombstone.

5. nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    THE US VERSION BLOWS!!!!

OK - I just did a comparison that some of you might find interesting. We are getting a terrible version of this show. I went on my Firestick and watched the original UK original and WOW what a difference. Here is what I can say for sure: we are missing the two show hosts, and even worse one of them is an attractive female. There is tons of footage cut, such as the female host Angela Scanlon interviewing all the teams pre and post fight. The main host and voice over announcer is totally cut, because he is too British I guess? The original is much better, as you get so much more of the contestants stories about their robot builds and the voice over guy is way more intense. If any of you even remotely enjoyed this show do yourself a favor and watch the original broadcasts.

Here is your proof on Youtube - the original UK broadcast of Episode 1. Tell me everything about this isn't 100% better than the garbage that they aired in the US:

Skip to 13:05 mark to see the post fight interviews that are cut here. I will be watching this original series, but not the crappy repackaged US version. We got the poop end of the stick on this one.

6. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    If the "US version" of the fights thenselves is the same as the UK version, my opinion doesn't change at all.

I skip all the interviews and announcers yakking and just FF to the fights. And these fights are boring.

7. nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    The fighting scenes are the same in the US/UK versions, but the voice-over commentary is much better in the UK version. That alone makes a huge difference in the excitement of watching the fight. For me it is too chaotic with 4 bots fighting at once, and they don't seem to be on the same level as the battlebot competitors.