Roast of Donald Trump - Comedy Central

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by BK89, Mar 16, 2011.

1. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005

Advertisements

Wow, I have never seen someone bomb on stage as hard as the Situation. I liked how Jeff Ross' throw away line at the end about his abs (he felt bad for him and tried to save him) was funnier than the Situtuation's entire set. Overall it was pretty good, missed Greg Giraldo though. Jeff Ross was really good though (I usually dont find his act as funny even though he is called the roast master but this time I thought he killed).

2. stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Spoilers?? I saw a few minutes of it last night; the part with Whitney Cummings. She cracks me up.

3. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I'll watch it tonight. I saw a bit of Whitney Cummings last night. She is awesome. I was following Lisa Lampanelli's tweets during the show. She gave away some of the jokes.

4. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    The Jersey Shore a-hole was AWFUL!! Jeff Ross should've let him die on his own. The problem with that punk is that he has been saved by too many people and so he has no concept of what is "good" or "entertaining". Having Ross try to salvage his awful act just protects his ego from the reality b****-slap he so desperately needs. Why was he even there at all?? :confused: :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Gilbert Gottfried also took things a bit too far, IMHO, but that's what these Roasts have become, I suppose. And Marlee Maitlin was still a class act. :up:

Poor old Larry King did a classy enough job for trying to skirt on the edge of "blue humor".

Snoop Dogg had the best line of the night which was directed at Trump.

Somehow I missed Trump's response at the end. Musta' dozed off for a moment. I also missed the unknown comic (the newbie comedian).

All in all, I missed Greg Giraldo (RIP) and Patton Oswalt. They would've been MUCH better than the stunt casting of the Jersey Shore A-hole (I refuse to acknowledge him by his character nickname).:mad::thumbsdown:

5. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...

Advertisements

I caught most of this last night. I need to watch the rest tonight. Pretty funny for the most part. I enjoyed Marlee Matlin.

Do they have writers prepare material for the non-comedians? IE. The Jersey Shore Guy, Snoop, The Don, etc?

6. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Loved how the crowed turned on the situation. That was definitely the highlight.

Greg Giraldo was sorely missed. They're going to air a special on Giraldo after the rebroadcast on Friday night.

7. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    For those mentioning they'll watch it tonight, I went to the on-line DirecTV guide to set this to record, and the Roast they show tonight (wee hours of the morning) is the Hasselhoff roast. Comedy Central's web site shows the rebroadcast of the Trump roast this Friday at 10 ET/9 CT (as gossamer88 references in the above post).

8. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Luckily I have a device that records TV shows.

9. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    A lot of the comedians that were there write for the non-comedians. I know Ross does.

10. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Any chance of an un-edited airing like they usually do?

11. MLR930

MLR930 Mandie

Dec 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    I was disappointed that the reairing at 2 am was censored

12. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    I fail to see where there are spoliers in the original post. Did you not know that the situation has abs? :p

13. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Boy, I hope not. If someone wrote those jokes for the Situation, they should be forced to turn in their writer's license...

14. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Considering it's Gilber Gottfried you're talking about, he was actually quite subdued. He is one of the most disgusting foul mouthed comics around today. I love his stand-up, but it's not for the timid.

15. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    In regards to people writing non-comedians jokes, they do. A few years ago a frequent guest on a podcast I listen to mentioned it. He was actually friends with Giraldo and had written a couple of Giraldo's jokes too (collaboratively) but mentioned that there's a huge book of jokes written by various writers that the non-comedians can basically pick and choose jokes they want to use.

EDIT: That's not to say that he didn't come up with his own stuff. Regardless of how the jokes came out, he either made up horrible jokes, or he picked the horrible jokes other people written. It's still his own damn fault.

16. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Here's a show that I can pass on without any qualms whatsoever.

BTW, the Dean Martin Roasts were scripted, at least for him and a few others. They were obviously reading cue cards. I think Deano refused to rehearse. Just showed up, read, and went home.

17. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    The Situation did suck hard, but to be fair to him the producers invited him. I seriously doubt he campaigned to get a spot on the dais. So given that I think he deserved some slack, and Jeff was trying to help him out.

I thought Marlee Matlin was really good. Thumbs up.

Yeah as for writing, anyone who is on there who is not a stand-up is going to have people writing jokes for them, that doesn't matter they still have to be delivered. Clearly Mike had some not funny people writing for him... Others likely had some decent writers working for them. Even some of the comedians who go up there get help writing stuff from their friends and such.

18. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Finished it last night. Snoop had some great jokes and delivered them well.

The Donald is quite disturbing to look at for an hour and a half. I hate how the camera kept panning to the comedians sitting down yucking it up. Got annoying after the first 5 minutes.

19. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Now they use a teleprompter. The Situation blamed his bombing on Snoop because Snoop told him to wear sunglasses so people couldn't see him looking at the prompter. He said people thought he was being cocky by wearing shades and that's why they didn't laugh. Yea, THAT'S why they didn't laugh. :rolleyes:

20. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Ugh! This arrogant punk has been surrounded by enablers for so long that he refuses to own up to his failure and instead chooses to blame it on everything/everyone else but himself. :thumbsdown: It was Snoop's fault. It was the sunglasses. And then he has the 'nads to tell us what other people were thinking! ??!!

I am irritated by the fact that I am aware of his existence (and his female cast-mate counterpart). I don't watch his "show", but if you see any television or glance at the tabloids while waiting to pay for groceries, you cannot avoid pictures of him and his cronies. :mad::thumbsdown:

Actually talented people struggle to get the media recognition that comes to him and his ilk so easily. :thumbsdown: