Roamio's MOCA Bridge for STBs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jcm808, Oct 13, 2015.

1. jcm808

jcm808 New Member

Oct 13, 2015

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm wondering if the Roamio Pro can be used as a MOCA bridge for Cisco STBs (set top boxes) that support video on demand?

Here's my setup:
    - FIOS Internet/Cable (ONT connected via the Ethernet port, not Coax)
    - Own Router (not the Verizon issued one)
    - Roamio Plus connected via Ethernet but with the "MOCA bridging" option turned on
    - Cisco CHS 335HDC P2 Set Top Box (for PPV/VOD) which only works on MOCA (Ethernet is disabled)

This configuration *almost* works for me. The STB will boot up and DHCP across the Tivo and get an IP address from the router. It's able to download the programming guide and functions like Caller ID work seamlessly.

This configuration is a already a huge improvement over having the original Verizon ActionTec router or the double-router options you see on DSL reports.

The *only* problem is the Video-On-Demand doesn't work properly. It will take me to a black screen, report an error, and suggest I reboot the router.

I don't know if the problem is a port forwarding I'm missing or if the Tivo Ethernet-to-MOCA bridge just won't handle this type of configuration (maybe doesn't forward multicast, maybe too high a UDP packet rate, etc, etc?)

My questions:

1) Is anyone successfully done this?

2) Does it make sense this would even work? Any good way to test?

Verizon obviously doesn't support this type of configuration and hasn't published much on debugging when a non-standard setup doesn't work. But I'm so close I feel it's probably possible.

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It's interesting that guide data and phone works but not VOD. I was just going to recommend posting this at DSLReports, but I see you already did. That's probably your better bet at getting an authoritative answer.

3. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am fairly certain that:
    FiOS VOD via the Cisco CHS 335HDC P2 is QAM based not IP based.

This FiOS STB is an IP/QAM Hybrid Motorola 7100-P2 HD Set-Top Box that *may* deliver VOD via IP

My in-laws in PA w/ Verizon FiOS do not have any internet service, only TV/Phone and their VOD is delivered via QAM.

Why do you not just connect to a regular Coax run?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    From what I've read I thought FIOS VOD was always over IP. Even cusotomers without internet access it still uses the same connection to deliver VOD. It's delivered the same way as guide data. Over coax using MoCA from the ONT to the STB.

5. jcm808

jcm808 New Member

Oct 13, 2015

Advertisements

While the Cisco CHS definitely has a cable card in it, I do believe Internet is required. If I connect it Coax only (without a bridge), the programming guide and caller ID won't come through. While I use the Tivo or Verizon router to provide the internet connection to the MOCA LAN, I get programming and caller ID.

If I connect Verizon's router directly, VOD works fine. If I put their router behind my firewall, I get the same result as what I have above (VOD fails to work). So I believe there is something I need to make available through the firewall for VOD. It looks like UDP ports are used, but they may be dynamic.