Roamio's are now getting the dreaded pre-roll ads

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by DeltaOne, Mar 28, 2020.

1. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013

Advertisements

I started seeing the dreaded pre-roll ads today on my Roamio.

Sorta. When selecting a recording to play you get the large gray arrow screen for a few seconds, then a dark/blank "live" window in the upper right corner. Then the recording starts to play.

Unless the show is still recording. Then you get the large gray arrow screen for a few seconds, then a dark/blank "live" window in the upper right corner...and the TiVo locks up with an error message saying something like "can't play now." Only way I've gotten out of this lock up is the "quit the GUI trick" (thumbs down three times and then enter/last).

Only way I got a still recording show to play was to switch to that tuner and then rewind to the beginning.

I'll be calling TiVo tomorrow (Monday?) to opt out of the pre-roll ads.

2. mustang1068

mustang1068 New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I am getting the same thing with the gray screen, then the blank live view picutre. This is incredibly annoying, takes a good 3 or 4 seconds before the show starts. There never used to be this lag. This is somehow related to ads? I was already considering pulling the plug and this might just push me over the edge.

3. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I believe so, yes. The TiVo is trying to play an ad...but there's nothing there.

I called TiVo tech support this morning and asked to opt out of the pre-roll ads. They'll ask you if you pressed "skip" to bypass the ad. I explained that skip did nothing and the ad didn't play.

They put in a ticket to remove the ads from my Roamio and explained it may take two or thee days -- exactly the same thing that was told to Bolt owners that called in to opt out.

I'll reboot and/or force a service connection tomorrow...to see if that gets me out of the ads.

4. Apr 2, 2020 #4 of 40
    Waco

Waco New Member

Nov 21, 2014
    I am getting this as well, one additional issue every time I try to skip the ad The Roamio restarts.... 5 times in a row!!
    WTF are the doing??

5. Apr 3, 2020 #5 of 40
    jfriedlund

jfriedlund New Member

Nov 30, 2009

Advertisements

I've also experienced that same frustrating delay and if you don't fast forward the volume on the ad will blast you out of your chair. I called tech support to request removal and was at first told you can just fast forward if you don't want this. I explained, nicely, this change was unwanted, unwelcomed and stopped the DVR from working properly. He then asked me for the service number (I had identified the unit when I started the chat and told them it was the only Roamio associated with my account, if he wanted to hold I could get it) he then said he would create a ticket for the removal but that it could take 72 hours to take effect. Last night it locked up and restarted on it's own, I was hoping that was the ticket kicking in but so far the annoying ads are still with us!

Mikeguy likes this.
  6. Apr 3, 2020 #6 of 40
    MRL46

MRL46 MRL46

Apr 3, 2020
    The grey screen with an arrow has been a problem for the past week. Along with the above, the system is really sluggish. Takes forever to use any of the commands. And now both of my Roamios are now freezing up and then after a few minutes are restarting, even when I am recording a program. Add to that the stupid TiVo channels on my guide snd I'm asking myself, this is not what I purchased. I purchased an OTA lifetime channel guide DVR. WTF is going on?!?!?!?!

bam1220 likes this.
  7. Apr 3, 2020 #7 of 40
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Telephone TiVo customer support, tell them that you are having these issues, and ask that the pre-roll ads be excluded from your machine. The rep. may try to convince you otherwise, but be persistent, and the rep. ultimately will relent.

KENL likes this.
  8. Apr 4, 2020 #8 of 40
    akbar jaffer

akbar jaffer New Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I’m having the issues discussed above. Will call support.
    Is anyone having sound issues as well? Seems that in the last week the volume seems to be randomly going on and off as well.
    Thanks in advance

9. Apr 5, 2020 #9 of 40
    GeoPea

GeoPea Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Hi all. Those of you getting pre-roll ads on Roamios are using TE4, right? I hope so, since i have TE3!!

10. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Correct, it only happens on TE4.

11. TomHConsumer

TomHConsumer New Member

Apr 5, 2020
    I noticed this week, and even my wife made comments about the TV being broken. Thanks everyone for letting me know what was going on! I had to be persistent, but my Support chat ended with
    I apologize for the inconvenience. I will request an update so your TiVo device no longer shows an advertisement before your recording begins. I will submit the request now but please note that it will take up to 72 hours to take effect.

One thing to add that might be of interest. Technically, TiVo is reducing the performance of devices for which consumers have already paid. Apple just recently settled a huge lawsuit for a related infraction.
    Apple agrees to settlement of up to $500 million from lawsuit alleging it throttled older phones – TechCrunch

I've always been a devotee, but this is beyond frustrating.

hairyblue likes this.
  12. Gregavi

Gregavi Member

Jan 19, 2003
    Santa...
    Add another one to the complaint list. It really pisses me off when I try to start a recording and I get the Giant gray arrow. If I hit 30 sec skip, it goes to the recorded program. Definitely shouldn't have to do that extra step. The good news is, I thought this was normal behavior since I just got my Roamio after 13 years of using other DVRs. (I had one of the original TiVos in 2000). At least there's hope that this can be removed. I was seriously considering going back to my Cox Cable Contour 2 DVR, which is very good, because of this, along with some other issues. It isn't much leverage though to threaten TiVo that I might switch back since I have a Lifetime for the Roamio. I'm not paying them anything so they have nothing to lose except bad word-of-mouth. When I complain to Cox, I always threaten to go back to DirecTV and vise versa. Works like a charm. I'll be calling TiVo in the morning.

KENL likes this.
  13. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Just downgrade, the ads will be back even if you call them.

KENL likes this.
  14. jbh

jbh New Member

Apr 7, 2020
    The TE4 shouldn't come with "requirements" of pre-roll ads and Tivo+ channels in my channel guide. I have been a Tivo customer for many years and chose their service because of the ability to customize options and to be able to skip content that I did not want to see.
    Leave Tivo+ under the "apps" section and we can use it if we want. However, for you to violate the entire purpose of your system in order to show us ads prior to our recordings or to try and push certain content to us, then you are going to QUICKLY lose many of your loyal customers.
    We shouldn't have to call and request removal or repeatedly call when they come back after a short time. This needs to be FIXED and SOON.

KENL and bam1220 like this.
  15. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    I'm getting the "can't play now" and lock up too. Fustrating. I don't look forward to calling Tivo and complaining. I have been putting it off.

I've been a Tivo customer for 2 decades now. I'm just so disappointed in them.

KENL likes this.
  16. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Coastal...
    I send them feelgoods on twitter daily. #tivovirus . Feel free to join in. Our voice is much louder in unison.

Doug G likes this.
  17. jrock

jrock Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Connecticut
    I keep getting lock up's and reboots after the Gray screen every couple days. Now for the last day I have been trying to watch season 2 of Succession that I have had on there since last year and I keep getting "Can't Play Now Error V117" after the grey screen or it just goes back to the main TiVo central screen when I try to play it. After going back in several times it usually starts playing. I have a TiVo Life Time membership and when I got it I did not agree to ads. This is not right. I have been a TiVo user for over 20 years. When this one dies I doubt I will continue with TiVo, I may as well just get the Comcast/Xfinity X1 DVR.

Odds Bodkins and KENL like this.
  18. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    What F/W version do you guys have that see this?

19. jrock

jrock Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Connecticut
    21.9.7.v3-840-6-840

videobruce likes this.
  20. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Do you know when it came out, or about how long ago?