Roamio WPA2-PSK password implementation: 63 characters max

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by DX King, Mar 17, 2019.

1. DX King

DX King New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Hopefully this will save others the trouble of figuring this out on their own.

Currently the Roamio does not correctly implement the WPA2-PSK password maximum length of 64 characters. The password entry text box exposed to users does allow entry of a 64-character password, but the Roamio software internally only supports password of between 8 and 63 characters. Attempts to connect to a network that has a 64-character password will immediately fail. This occurs regardless of whether a network uses WPA2 AES (the most common) or WPA2 TKIP encryption.

The workaround of course is to reduce your wireless network's password length to 63 characters or fewer (but more than 8), or better yet, if your wireless router supports it, change the password on one of the networks you are broadcasting to that password length. The latter approach might limit how many other devices you would have to reconfigure to use the shorter password length.

As a longtime TiVo fan, I reported the issue to TiVo yesterday and hope they'll correct it. They told me this issue hasn't been discovered until now.

I was able to identify the cause of the issue by reading the kernel log on my Roamio and discovering that only password lengths of between 8 and 63 characters currently are supported. The WPA2-PSK protocol itself supports 8 to 64 characters.

Mikeguy and JoeKustra like this.
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Thanks for the tip. BTW, you don't have docs on those logs. do you? :)

DX King likes this.
  3. DX King

DX King New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Hi Joe, no, I don't have any documentation on the logs themselves, but it was one of your posts that showed me how to get access to read the logs, and thank you very much for that - without that ability, I'd never have been able to diagnose this.

4. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    My kernels always have butter on them. I enter the password thats on my gateway. Anything else is over my head. UCONN had no computer classes in 1977-1981 so..(at least I dont think they did). I recently tried to set up a VPN. That didnt go well.

5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Ha! After struggling with TiVo wireless for 10 years.
    I threw in the towel and installed hard wire to my TiVos.