Roamio Worth the Upgrade?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Thunderclap, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Feb 9, 2015 #1 of 25
    Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area

Advertisements

I currently have a Premiere with Lifetime subscription and an upgrade HDD (1TB). I'm thinking of moving over to the basic Roamio (I don't have a need for streaming to iPad, etc.) and Mini. I also have a Roku for Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, and Vudu that I would like to retire if I could.

Now that the Roamio has been out for a while, and now that the Premiere has had several updates since the Roamio came out, what is the consensus? Is it worth losing the Lifetime subscription and getting a Roamio + Mini? I would like to access Tivo on my bedroom television from time-to-time.

Are the Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu apps as good as their Roku counterpart? (Netflix and Amazon are dreadfully sluggish on Premiere.)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Feb 9, 2015 #2 of 25
    joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I would say no unless you need VUDU. Once the update comes in amazon will be updated and VUDU was promised later like in summer. I have two Roamios and a XL4 and see no reason to change. The speed difference is so close. So unless you were going to a plus for two extra tuners I would say save your money and just get a mini which can be connected to yours now. I have two minis connected to the XL4.

3. Feb 9, 2015 #3 of 25
    Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    Unfortunately my Premiere only has two tuners, not four.

4. Feb 9, 2015 #4 of 25
    joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Sell it as you should get about 200 if not more for it. And then upgrade. I would opt for lifetime for the new one if you could. Its worth it. I that you had a 4 tuner.

5. Feb 9, 2015 #5 of 25
    Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area

Advertisements

How is the performance of Netflix and the like?

6. Feb 9, 2015 #6 of 25
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    If you have a Premiere 4, then you have 4 tuners.

7. Feb 9, 2015 #7 of 25
    Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    I misstated the Tivo version I have. I have the Tivo Premiere, NOT the Tivo Premiere 4. My bad.

8. Feb 9, 2015 #8 of 25
    joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013
    That was why I wrote my reply as I did. I think he meant series 4.

And Netflix takes a little longer like 30 seconds to start but once in the app I see no difference in speed worth an upgrade.

9. Feb 9, 2015 #9 of 25
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    I think it's purely a matter of opinion. I just made the switch from a pair of HDs because my cable company has started to use MP4 encoding and HDs couldn't handle it. Having had my Roamio for a few weeks I can say I had far fewer problems (none) with the HDs.

10. gothaggis

gothaggis Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I found my Roamio to be leaps and bounds better than my Premiere...the speed upgrade alone was worth it.

11. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Did the Premiere you're referencing have the Haxe software upgrade, or was it using the old flash version?

12. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    I've had my Roamio for a couple weeks now, I think.

I decided to go with the Plus. Wanted the bigger hard drive, built in streaming, and 6 tuners. I also cannot stand the way that the basic roamio looks. For a device that will be in my entertainment system for 5+ years, I felt that justified the price difference.

I currently have one Mini, and I expect to get one more. I like the dynamic tuner allocation, but I plan that with two minis, worst case scenario I can record 3 programs at once (6 tuners- 3 Live TV feeds). Coming from 2 tuners in the premiere, I feel that is a huge plus.

The interface looks the same, and may be a little faster, but not a great deal, so upgrading for speed may not be worth it. YMMV, of course.

Initially I was going to sell my premiere. I am now on the fence on that one. I had it on eBay with a $250 reserve. The listing ended unsold at $202.50. That would pay for one more mini, but doesn't offset the cost of the new Roamio box as much as I would have liked. Now the decision is to I get an additional Cable Card and have 8 tuners in my house? Or, do I go for the mini and simplify the setup? Time will tell.

13. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 New Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Coming from an XL4 the speed difference was very noticeable. Having everything integrated (ie Stream) also works more smoothly. Four tuners are typically enough but with six you never run into conflicts with start early and end late along with multiple shows, let alone any extra streaming.

14. dcline414

dcline414 New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    If you need the extra tuners or ever want to add a mini, go Roamio. Otherwise the speed difference is negligible.

Our old 2-tuner premiere with a 1TB drive and lifetime service just sold for $320—seems to be about the going rate these days.

15. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Good choice with the plus, if you don't need an OTA tuner skip over the basic.

16. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    I had two premiers with 2tb drives and replaced them both with a Roamio Plus and am very happy. The Roamio is MUCH faster and I rarely have conflicts anymore. I don't need to worry about going through the TDL every night to make sure everything I want to record is going to be recorded and not conflicted out. Plus now everything is in one box so I don't have to switch back and forth. Plus it's easier for my wife to use.

17. rgura

rgura RobGTX

Feb 20, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I recently upgraded from 2 Series 3's to 1 Roamio Plus and 2 Mini's, overall very happy. Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Vudu all seem to run very well.

18. tds4182

tds4182 Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Kingwood, Tx

If you've got 25 Mbs internet (or faster), a good modem and good router (wired or wireless) the Netflix and Amazon Prime work very well. Almost no latency at all at start up.

19. babatunde

babatunde Member

May 30, 2002
    Hi.

I currently have a Tivo Premiere -- I think it's only 2 tuners, so from what I've read, I can't add a Mini. I'd like to add Tivo capability in a bedroom. So now I guess I have to buy a Roamio and add a Mini for the bedroom, or just use the Premiere to the bedroom (it has the lifetime warranty)? I wouldn't mind more drive space on the main TV's Tivo as I'm often having to delete stuff (I record pretty much only HD).

So get a Roamio and just use the Premier in the bedroom? With two cable cards does that change my fees to Comcast?

thanks!

Brian :)

20. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    yes, i am fairly sure that they will charge you for the extra cable card. in south florida i think it is about ten bucks a month or so. since you have a lifetime subscription on the old Premiere, i guess it would be cheaper to keep it. you would be able to transfer recordings from the roamio to the premiere and visa versa, but i think with a mini you would be able to watch something on the roamio and pick it up from the resume point with the mini. i got a Premiere XL4 in 05-2012 and it was so slow i could not run it in HD mode so i got a roamio pro in 10-2013.