1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio without TIVO subscription

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by srwdc1, Aug 13, 2016.

1. srwdc1

srwdc1 New Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Hello..

I have a bunch of shows recorded on my roamio, but that Roamio no longer pays a fee to Tivo. Can I still watch the old shows?

Thanks in advance to this great community.!

My situation:

I have the Roamio OTA (+cable card)-- was about $150-$200 when new.
    We had "cut the cord"-- used OTA and a patchwork of streaming (Sling, Hulu, Showtime,) plus Showtime/HBO.. So we paid $15/month to TIVO basically for the OTA recording and "guide" to the 50 OTA channels here (Washington DC)

Finally went back to Cable company (reluctantly)-- RCN locally-- since the "package price" but better live sports (olympics) without the hiccups on Sling and without switching back and forth between TIVO and firestick. Price is equivalent all-in.

Cable company added a $7/month Premiere 2-tuner which is sufficient. (Cable guy asked why not just put in a $2/month cable card in the old Roamio).

Anyway, now we have an extra Roamio. So I'll cancel the $15/month Roamio-TIVO subscription (since it's includled in the overall-cheaper-cable package) The Roamio has maybe 40 hours of programming I hate to lose (but havent watched anyway-- previous operas and Arlo Guthrie shows recorded from PBS, and an Adele concert).

Question #1 -- more important
    Can I just plug in the Roamio (without its own TIVO monthly fee) via HDMI to the TV, and watch those recordings? Or is the Roamio "dead" without an additional Tivo monthly fee?

Is there a way to "download" the shows to some external hard drive and play that way?

Question #2. -- less important
    We have a 2nd TV in basement we don't use (kids have left home). It only has OTA channels and ROKU. Can I put the Roamio on that TV? would the Cable Company charge me only $2.00 for the Cable Card? Or would I also have to pay TIVO (again) the $15 monthly fee?

Thanks for reading the long post. I posted here since I expect I'll get a more honest response than calling either the cable company or TIVO.

-Steve

2. schatham

schatham Active Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Yes you can watch recorded shows. I think a cable card would work if set up before canceling. You would have no guide data and only be able to watch live tv and already recorded shows. You should be able to pause and buffer for 30 minutes.

3. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, only on a tv connected to that TiVo!

You can watch previously recorded content. You can use it as a digital tuner box without any trick play features.

All network features i.e. Streaming to another TiVo device and downloading require an active subscription. Download content before canceling service to the TiVo.

Depends on what functionality you want.

4. zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry to rehash this old thread, but I just wanted to confirm what will work without a subscription. I want to use a Roamio for my mother who has no need for Guide Data, recording of any kind or skip functions. I simply don't want to pay Verizon a box rental fee and instead will just get a cable card. If all she does is watch live TV and nothing else, will the Roamio work without a subscription? Thanks for confirming!

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Unless you mean for a room in your house, you typically get a cable box _OR_ a cable card "for free", i.e. included in your cable subscription. (So i.e. you won't be saving any money.)

Now, if you mean if she lives with you for example and for another room.. I still think it's a bad idea, I don't think it'll really work/will complain all the time that it is not subscribed.

zubinh likes this.
  6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Simplest is to just have a cable box connected to the TV and why would you complicate things with a TiVo if the user is not compliant to technology.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The nag screens are designed to get on your nerves after a while. I wouldn't ask my mother to put up with nag screens while my TV didn't have them.

PCurry57 likes this.
  8. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    We have a tivo romio in the bedroom and one in the family room all connected with wifi. Can I stop the subscription with Tivo in the bedroom and then use the tivo to transfer recording from the one in the family room?

9. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    Just remembered another question...what will still work with the Romio with no subscription and a cable card? Can I manually record? Does it still have the 30 minute shift...etc..?

We are thinking of cutting the cable tv and just keeping internet. We the the base romio with 4 tuners. Will this work with an antenna? It has a coax connector on the back so I assume it will but am I wrong?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    No, without a subscription pretty much nothing works, except watching recordings made before the subscription was dropped.

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You should be able to watch live TV, you can not do manually recordings. I think it still has the buffer but not 100% sure.

Base Roamio will work with an antenna. Yes you connect the antenna using the same COAX connection that you are using for cable now. After you connect the antenna you will have to re-run guide setup.

12. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    OK thanks....with the antenna can I record 4 different shows like I can with my current cable card?

13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep--as long as you have a current TiVo subscription.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Re: OTA antenna reception, you'll want to review what stations/channels to expect and what antenna type you'll need by reviewing one of the following websites (or similar):

15. jlin

jlin Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    Can a subscribed Roamio plays shows from a non-subscribed Roamio?

Also can I push shows recorded on the subscribed unit to the non-subscribed unit?

16. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, These functions are a part of Tivo service. BOTH needs to be subscribed.

You cannot Push from 1 Tivo to another. Push is currently broken with no time frame fix.

17. jlin

jlin Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    Push = Transfer?

18. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Push and pull are the same transfer, the only difference is where its initiated. Push from the PC side (upload) , pull from the Tivo side (download)

Transfer is defined as transport of data (shows) from one place to another (Tivo to Tivo or PC).

Streaming is defined similar to transfer but not actual files (shows) are transferred, it is similar to watching Live TV, but its the shows recorded on another Tivo.