Roamio - WiFi Username and Password?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by PTVMan, Jan 6, 2020.

1. PTVMan

PTVMan New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    I have a TiVO Roamio in my office at work, which is a TV station on a university campus. The WiFi network on campus requires a user name and password for access. Is there any way to connect TiVO WiFi to a network that requires user name and password?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Is this still true: Local Network Only for iPad App? ? If the network has no SSID or passphrase, then a TiVo can not connect. But since you now need an SSID, does the wireless networking show the available SSID for your network.

You work at a university TV station and you are coming here for help? o_O

3. PTVMan

PTVMan New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Yes, the university tech service is clueless on how to help.

The Tivo does show UWNet as an available SSID and I can select it. However, as I said the access to the wifi network required me to enter a username and password, but TiVo doesn't seem to have a way to do that.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Then you can't use that network with a TiVo or laptop or notepad either. True? It is designed to be access by a computer that has a login screen, like my PC does. When I enter the right name & password I can then access the computer. Then I can use the computer to select the right SSID (local network) which only needs the passphrase for its WiFi.

5. PTVMan

PTVMan New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    I can use my MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad to connect because I am presented with a screen for entering username and password for wifi access to UWNet.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    All those devices can be considered computers. TiVo isn't that much of a computer. Odd that you use WiFi. Most large companies use Ethernet. But there's no way to enter a name & password with a TiVo. BTW, some computers can be configured to not ask for a name or password. My sister does that. Also, if you could get TiVo to ask for a user name, you could have profiles. That would make a lot of people happy.

A TiVo doesn't need network access to work. It will complain, but you can still watch & record programs. Just take it home every weekend to let the guide update. Does your place have cable or are you going to use an antenna? The Roamio does not receive analog TV signals. It will receive clear QAM, but it's not pretty.

7. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    My company uses a Radius Server for WiFi Authentication. You use your Active Directory Credentials to logon at any of the Campuses we support..

But, there's also a Hidden Network that supports WPA2, as well.

-KP