1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio VOX new user questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jrod9707, Aug 12, 2018.

1. jrod9707

jrod9707 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If I'm posting this in the wrong area I apologize!

That being said I currently have a Roamio PRO and 3 tivo mini's(non vox) which is great but alas Frontier keeps raising the prices so its time to go back to the OTA route. I purchased a Roamio VOX OTA and right away the new interface is just horrendous and cumbersome. Its almost like those dip sh** suits at TIVO said lets make a clumsy interface similar to when Microsoft went from Windows 7 and dumped that 8 crap in our laps. I think people really like an interface that isn't intuitive but makes you have to search around forever to find what you need. And then hit the webs to find out how to use our easy to use DVR :(

Rant over.
    So I found that you can rollback to the old interface I'm used to and then I could see my PRO and they could communicate. YAY!
    Now the question I have is the new VOX remote sucks as a few buttons are not in the place I'm used to the guide being below the down arrow and i(information) is not to the right. Im a creature of habit. It doesnt appear to be RF but line sight. Is this true? Whats the point of that dongle? Options?

Blue or red wd 2tb to upgrade hard drive? $30-50 difference

Is there a reason I should use the new interface?

Thats it for now, I appreciate the help!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You lose some functionality like transfer from computer with the newer version v21.7x+.

Recommended drive is the WD Red WD10EFRX 1TB all the way to 3TB just drop in, and up to 8TB (with work in a PC.)

Previous recommended Green AV drives are no longer made and what's sold are old stock, expired warranty, over-priced.

7200+ RPM drives are also not recommended due to excess heat produced, requires more power than the power supply can handle.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Other observations on the remote: Mini VOX, TE3, and RF Remote fails

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The dongle adds Bluetooth (BLE) communication capability to your TiVo box, required by the VOX Remote, otherwise lacking in all boxes except BOLTs and the Mini VOX. (Your VOX Remote is line-of-sight IR, right now, because you haven't installed and paired with the Bluetooth dongle.)

You could install the dongle and follow the instructions to pair the VOX Remote, but if you loathe the new TE4/Hydra interface and will be rolling back the software, the VOX Remote and its dongle could be resold to pay for a remote more to your liking. (The VOX voice control feature doesn't exist outside TE4, so the VOX Remote isn't necessary for TE3.)

As for a replacement remote, you could rely on the Roamio OTA's built-in RF (not Bluetooth) capability, and go with a stock RF remote, a Slide Pro, or pick-up a cheap RCN TiVo RF remote.

jrod9707 likes this.
  5. jrod9707

jrod9707 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for the help guys. If I keep the VOX remote and dongle will it pair up RF using the old interface?
    I bought one of those remotes on Ebay for $7. You just cant beat that price. If I dont use it for this Tivo one of my mini remotes was submerged in a glass of beer and buttons stick a little so its probably time to retire it!

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    With the batteries removed, are there any suggestions for submerging it in some other substance to counter the beer?

jrod9707 likes this.
  7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Coffee.

akaye likes this.
  8. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Water.