Roamio Very Line-of-Sight Sensitive

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by MikeekiM, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Nov 2, 2015 #1 of 16
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Interesting... I have my Roamio on the bottom of my AV rack, and I always had to raise my arm up a little high so that it would respond to the IR remote (I am using a Harmony...not the provided TiVo remote which is both IR and RF).

None of my other components have this problem... My Yamaha AV receiver is sitting right next to my Roamio and I can point my remote almost anywhere and it would somehow receive the IR signal (do IR signals "bounce" off walls?).

Anyone else notice this at all?

Anyway, I am lucky that I have a Harmony 890, which does support RF with an RF module...I just didn't have the RF module installed/in-use at the time... This weekend I introduced the RF module into the system specifically for the Roamio, and all is good now...

2. Nov 2, 2015 #2 of 16
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yes, IR can bounce.

3. Nov 2, 2015 #3 of 16
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Roamio must have a very narrow sensor... It is the least sensitive component on my AV rack...

Good thing I converted over to the Harmony 890 RF module...

4. Nov 2, 2015 #4 of 16
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Maybe the IR receiver is slightly out of place? I have two Roamio BAsics and one Romaio Pro. With all of them I can point an IR remote in any direction and the TiVos will respond to it.

5. Nov 2, 2015 #5 of 16
    FitzAusTex

FitzAusTex Member

May 7, 2014

Advertisements

Mine is virtually unusable with my Harmony. And I have three roamios, and all are the same. Even on a shelf 2.5ft off the floor with no other equipment or glass doors in front of roamio, terrible.

6. Nov 2, 2015 #6 of 16
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Might be a long shot here... But if you've got the Harmony 890, but it on the RF extender... Works wonderfully...

7. Nov 2, 2015 #7 of 16
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    My Mom had an issue like this. Turns out her TV had some sort of auto contrast feature built in (Sharp TV) and when it was enabled it flooded the room with IR causing the TiVo to respond to the remote very sporadically. I found the feature in the menus and disabled it and everything started working right again. I think some plasma TVs also emit IR as a consequence of how they work and can cause a similar issue. No way to turn it off on those though.

8. Nov 2, 2015 #8 of 16
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    My 2009-vintage Samsung LCD TV floods the room with heavy IR for 30 secs or so after turn-on OR if a completely black screen is displayed. Under those conditions my old TiVo HD (IR) remote had to be held about 6 inches in front of the TiVo sensor to get a response. It's nice to avoid that with the RF remote with my new Roamio.

9. Nov 2, 2015 #9 of 16
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I would also pull the cover and check the alignment of the clear plastic light pipe from the front cover to the IR receiver on the motherboard. Sometimes they get jarred out of place.

10. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Not really related, but I've found the rf to be pretty sensitive as well. Dropping a mini behind a dresser was problematic for instance.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I've wondered about that. With the RF remote and my Roamio basic, if I get about 25 feet away I see line-of-sight effects similar to an IR remote. I have to hold the remote so there is nothing blocking the line of sight. Yet I can go into an adjacent room with an interior wall blocking line of sight, but probably a distance of only 5 feet, and it responds. I guess it makes sense that RF response depends both on distance and what's in the line of sight.

12. Mgalin

Mgalin Member

Jan 6, 2002
    The IR sensitivity in the ROAMIO is HORRIBLE. It's because they use a piece of plastic like a fiberoptic material and the IR sensor is sitting 3-5 inches on the board behind the display. The angles are poor as well. Tivo made a USB based IR extender - that works GREAT.. It was intended for the Mini's if someone wanted to hide them in a cabinet, but I can't find a link to it though.

13. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007
    RF on the SlidePro seems to require pretty much the same line of sight as IR, dunno why that would be the case.

14. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Of course a possible cause is a weak RF link, either in the remote or at the Roamio. That's why I was somewhat concerned. Too bad the equipment to diagnose an RF link probably costs thousands of $$.

Here is a busy related thread that might be of interest:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=508587

The problems discussed in that thread also could be the result of a weak RF link, and several posters assert that replacing the remote doesn't help -- which implies the problem in their cases was not the remote itself.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Something must be wrong if it does. For me, with my Roamio Pro and two Roamio basics, whether I use an RF remote or an IR only remote, I can pretty much point the remote in any direction and the Roamios will respond to it. Even from behind the couch, a TiVo IR only remote will work with my Roamios.

16. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    What kind of TV do you have?

I have a Samsung plasma that interferes with dang near any IR anywhere near it. Frustrating as all getup. Made me replace it with an LED 4k TV.