Roamio turns on and wakes us up at 4:00am!

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by backspaces, Nov 26, 2015.

1. backspaces

backspaces New Member

Sep 13, 2005

Advertisements

Our Roamio turned itself on last night and when it came on scared the hell out of us! It could have been part of a firmware update or a power outage causing a reboot.

I couldn't find when the last reboot was from the admin screens. Is there a last reboot time available somewhere?

If it was a reboot, is it possible to have the reboot be silent? I.e. no audio, then turn off when its done? Or something equivalent in terms of not waking us up!

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    :confused: Turned on? You mean you had it in standby with the TV turned on and it took itself out of standby? Why not just turn the TV off? Then the only way the TiVo could make a noise would be a screeching hard drive or fan.

3. backspaces

backspaces New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Sorry .. not all that clear.

The Roamio was off (not standby), we had stopped watching TV for the evening; ESPN if I recall correctly. And simply turned the TiVo off (using the remote power button)

Then in the middle of the night, the TV came on! Not sure which channel, but I think Live TV. I just presumed it was a reboot, which plays the TiVo startup video and then leaves the TV on.

I thought this might have been caused by a power outage, but just guessing.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can't figure it out either. I use an AVR, so if the AVR came on for some reason (like I rolled onto the remote), that would enable audio only. TV speakers are disabled.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

More confused. There is no longer a startup video.

Maybe the Discovery Channel?

6. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I don't get a TV turned on, but when the Premiere in my bedroom gets a firmware update at 3am, the reboot runs the fan to max speed and starts flashing all the front panel lights. I generally get shocked out of sleep thinking an alien invasion is in progress :). I really want a setting where I could tell it times of day when it should never reboot.

7. JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Our Premiere in the bedroom (on MOCA, fwiw) did the same this morning at about 8am PST. Aliens driven off by sleepy electric plug pull reaction. The Roamio downstairs didn't.

8. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    That's why I have a mini in the bedroom!

I cannot figure out how the TV turned on by itself. The TiVo doesn't have CEC over HDMI...

9. TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk Co,...
    I've turned the TV on rolling over onto the remote in the middle of the night.

10. JBDragon

JBDragon Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Fairfield, CA
    Yep, this is why my Roamio is out in the Family Room and the Tivo Mini's are in the Bedroom. There's no Lights, Fan's or Hard Drives in them to annoy you. Software updates can comes late at night as it checks every day to update it's program guide. If you have your Tivo set to record on it's own suggestions from using the Thumbs Up and Down buttons, it's going to be busy at times recording something it may think you might like to see all on it's own. It's not something I want in my Bedroom. The MINI's are dead quite.

11. just4fn44

just4fn44 Member

Dec 28, 2006
    He never turned the tv off. So when the tivo for some reason came back on the tv was already on at the same volume it was when he put the tivo in standby. I suppose it could have done an update and rebooted to live tv?

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Still huh???? :confused: What model Roamio is this? Is there a TiVo model that can be turned off with the remote power button? If you're saying you turned off the TV or an AVR that way, then it makes sense.

13. backspaces

backspaces New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Just checked: a power outage does not result in the TiVo turning on the TV after restart, so that wasn't the problem.

Possibly caused by a firmware update? Is there a way to check when the last firmware was installed? I didn't find it in the system/diagnostics screens. Mine is a Roamio Pro if that matters.

Thanks for the help!

14. NJ Webel

NJ Webel Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    The TiVo device cannot and does not control the power to a television under any circumstances.

15. NJ Webel

NJ Webel Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    The TiVo remote control can be programmed to control television power, but not the box itself.

16. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    Why don't you turn the TV off? Putting a TiVo in standby doesn't turn the television off.

17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I think that's well understood by everyone here -- except possibly the OP?

18. backspaces

backspaces New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Yup. Sigh. Thanks!

Any way to check the date of the last firmware update?

19. NJ Webel

NJ Webel Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    :up:

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Not that I know of.

TiVo's have been known to spontaneously restart -- not associated with any apparent cause. My Roamio basic has done this once in the 3+ months I've had it. My previous TiVo's (s2dt and HD) both did this occasionally, even though my TiVo's are on UPS'es. I suspect my cable co's (TWC) signals may cause this somehow.

Don't know whether an EAS alert might do something like that too. The effects of EAS on TiVo's vary both with the cable system and the TiVo model.