Roamio tuning issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by xx2kewll, Jan 27, 2016.

1. xx2kewll

xx2kewll New Member

Nov 16, 2004

Advertisements

About a month ago, Roamio reported V52/53 errors and either 65-70% or a "-" for signal strength on all tuners. SNR is 24-27DB across the board as well.

Side note: throughout this ordeal, and starting a few weeks before the tuning issues, I've had sporadic cable modem outages (pings drop, but modem doesn't log any signal problems).

Charter came out and said everything was fine, so I called TiVo. TiVo said call Charter. I waited a few days, forced network connections, did multiple hard reboots, and ultimately things magically got better.

Fast forward a few weeks. I had Charter come out to look into the sporadic Internet outages. Aside from cleaning up two noisy lines (something behind the wall plate - can't say I believe it had any impact), the tech added a -7db splitter between the line in and my 8-port powered amp (4 ports in use). He said the signal was actually too strong ("15"?) for the modem, so he knocked it down.

Immediately after the tech left, the TiVo tuning issue was back. "It's the splitter!" you say. Nope, I removed that and put everything back the way it was and TiVo was still angry. Same signal strength and SNR with or without the recently added splitter on the line in.

I suspected the splitter installation or cable maintenance might have caused signal issues at the TiVo, so I had Charter out again. The tech confirmed that signal to TiVo was "40" with an adequate SNR. He also confirmed the signal to my modem was solid as well (+/-2). He said things couldn't be more perfect.

So after a loooooong chat with a TiVo supervisor last night (sorry, Jack), they suggested I have Charter out again, but to also have them call TiVo to get their super-secret proprietary specs to measure the signal right (can someone explain this to me?).

One last thing to add to all this is that I started having MoCa issues. I'd never had a problem with it, but after the tech left after installing the splitter, the coax light on my MoCa adapter does not stay consistently lit. I plugged a mini directly into the adapter and it did light, so the hardware doesn't seem to be the problem.

I checked MoCa diagnostics on my Roamio and I noticed the nodes bouncing from three to four to three every five seconds. After tracking the MAC that kept falling off, I found it was one of my minis. I powered off that mini and seemingly everything is fine MoCa-wise now.

Alongside all of this, I emailed TiVo Margret and she provided an update to RC21, which I installed this morning to no avail.

To summarize, my problems are:

1. TiVo reports no or low signal, but Charter says the signal is perfect.
    2. Internet connection is intermittently down (5-15 minutes every few days). I know this forum isn't for that, but this is still something that could help point to a solution.
    3. MoCa has been unreliable - possibly due to a Mini having issues.

Help!

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    If the problem you started out with was intermittent internet and the diagnosis was that the signal from your amp(make & model?) was too strong, it seems to me the place to try a splitter was at the point of your cable modem(make & model?), not on the entire coax system which was apparently working fine for your Tivos.
    Most of the MoCA friendly cable amps I am familiar with have an un-amplified port which is usually clearly labeled, sometimes as "VOIP" or such and that would be the port to use for the cable modem....no amplification involved. The fact that you have been needing to use an amp in the first place is not a good sign in the first place and is usually a sign of poor quality cable, or cascaded splitters.
    One thing that you should also check for is missing 75 Ohm F-type terminators on any open ports on the amp, splitters, and wall outlets. You can get 10 online or at Home Depot for about $4.

3. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    Your problem is covered in this thread as this is a known issue with the new firmware update. There is quite a few owners who are affected by this problem. Problem directly lays with TiVo and not with your cable provider.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=535013

4. xx2kewll

xx2kewll New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    I suspect as much, but what's being done about it? TiVo Margret gave me RC21, but it did nothing. The tech I spoke with last night (and his four friends, he said) knew nothing of these issues.

What recourse do I have?

5. xx2kewll

xx2kewll New Member

Nov 16, 2004

Advertisements

Antronix VRA900. Modem is on the -3.5 port on that. I suggested the additional splitter at the modem thing, but they said it was fine the way it was. Not believing them, I put everything back the way it was and still had the same issues.

6. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    I had an issue with dropout on my FiOS connection for years.

Finally Verizon actually got equipment the techs could test things in house.

It turned out 1 of the STBs was causing it....it worked for normal viewing....just caused the signal to be killed on the entire system to anything this side of the ONT.

As thus, your mini issue - did you leave the mini off the network for several days to see if that stops the issue?

7. xx2kewll

xx2kewll New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Trying that today. Powered it off before I left the house for work. Charter did look for noise the other day and found a couple lines to improve, but didn't mention anything about the Mini having issues.

8. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi again,
    Although Jed1's speculation that this issue is solely because of the Dec. update, and which might be true, but after reading through the entire thread, I found not one other post with problems on only 1 channel nor reporting general internet problems at the same time. Did you get the December update and did it coincide with the problem channel?
    Regarding the amp you are using, does the label on yours have a black background or a yellow one. I am asking because the specs for the black label one do not mention MoCA compatibility period and looking at the Antronix website, the only amps identified as MoCA compatible had a yellow label. I had a couple Commscope amps reported to be MoCA compatible but they were not, the manufacturer used the same model number for non-MoCA units as the MoCA friendly one, except there was a tiny "MoCA" label on the ones that worked correctly.
    Your cable modem(make & model?) is on a non-amped port by the way so if the signal is too hot for it, the place to add a splitter or attenuation is at the cable modem. Don't forget to add those 75 ohm terminators on any open ports as they are "leaking" signal and open to induced interference.

9. xx2kewll

xx2kewll New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    My problems are on multiple channels/tuners and this started at the same time (12/10ish) the update was rolled out.

There are terminators on all unused ports.

It's a black label amp which was working up until this week (i.e. the amp's been there for months). I can see if Charter has a MoCa compliant one (MoCa goes 1500mhz+, right? Most splitters go to 1002), but I suspect they're not up to speed on MoCa at all. There's no POE filter at my line in, which is why I thought I saw the node count fluctuate, but I haven't seen that at all since powering off the questionable Mini.

Cable modem is a Moto/Arris 6121.

The tech had some confusing response on why the splitter went before the amp, and I don't remember the details (or necessarily buy into it). I agree that the split should be at the modem itself.

10. xx2kewll

xx2kewll New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Quick update: swapped one mini for the other, didn't work. Swapped ports on the amp: worked on both minis. Plugged both minis back in, now the originally-working one doesn't work and it's doing the three-four-three fluctuating re: number of MoCa nodes.

Insane.

11. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    The RC21 update does not fix this issue as it is for some of the HDMI issues. You have to keep calling TiVo and try to get to advanced support. Also email Margret back and tell her you still have the signal issue and it is the same that some other Roamio owners are reporting that the SNR is down in the 20s.
    Your entire problem is in TiVos hands as there is not much you can do. Pestering Charter is going to end up them charging you for all the truck rolls so tell TiVo that they have to agree to pay for them if they keep insisting it is their problem.

12. xx2kewll

xx2kewll New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Emailed Margret right away this morning saying that.

Charter was here and removed the amp, found signal to be just as good, and MoCa seems better. TiVo's the same.

TiVo support told me there are no special specs for techs to ask for and that the guy I talked to last night didn't seem to know what he's doing (thanks Jack!).

They're RMA'ing me a box ($50, but I'll fight for that back later).

I'll keep on them about this being a software thing. Who knows what the replacement box will bring.

13. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    I think TiVo did replacements for some of the other owners. Hopefully it helps and the issue does not return.
    This winter update really was messed up. I never seen this many issues with a update. It seems like there was no beta testing at all.

14. wtherrin

wtherrin New Member

Jan 27, 2016
    My Roamio was working fine until late December but since I am having problems with several channels around the same frequency range pixilating and being un-watchable. I have had the cable folks check everything several times and even took my TIVO to their headend office only to see the same problems. All signals coming in are fine and all of my tvs with regular cable boxes work fine as does my old Tivo 2. What gives? What can fix it?