1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio - Tuner Adapter Issue...

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Borack, May 12, 2018.

1. Borack

Borack Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    One question....Can a 5 year old Roamio be the culprit and NOT the TA...Changed out the TA to a new one, it still flashes with no premium channels....Spectrum sent out the pairing signal numerous times for me but nada.....Was going to buy a new Roamio, but if it still flashed didn't know if I could return the new Roamio....Hmmm thats 2 questions, I guess....
    The TIVO was starting to get quirky with reboots ect...

2. rbronco21

rbronco21 Member

Nov 1, 2005
  3. Borack

Borack Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Mine is the same...I have a guy coming out on Monday...I don't hold out much hope...I did the install with the cable card and the pairing a year ago..The tech (sub-contractor) never saw a TIVO before...Ive read through all the threads...It doesn't answer my question tho...I would like to test it with another TIVO to eliminate that link in the chain..(only one left)...Amazon has it, next day delivery, but if it doesn't fix the problem, I don't need two TIVO;s and a mini in the bedroom. Then I would need two TA's..This started yesterday..Wonder if anything happened yesterday such as firmware, TIVO or TA...

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    If the TA is blinking, it is not working properly. This is a Spectrum problem, not the Roamio.

5. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    How many blinks? The pattern of blinks will usually indicate the problem: https://www.tivocommunity.com/commu...ng-adapter-front-panel-blink-codes-jpg.19392/

One problem I run into a lot with my tuning adapter is that if the TA reboots while it's connected to an active TiVo then the TA will refuse to work properly. There are two solutions, depending on how much work you want to do.

The easy solution: unplug the TA's power, reboot the TiVo, plug the TA back in while the TiVo is booting.

The harder one, but avoids rebooting the TA: unplug the TA, disconnect the USB cable from the TA, plug in the TA, wait until it gets to the "fast blinking" stage, plug in the USB cable. If you plug in the USB cable while it's going through one of the slow blink phases, it will refuse to talk to the TiVo. But if you wait for the fast blinking it usually works.

6. rbronco21

rbronco21 Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Mine will sometimes go solid when plugged in, but the TiVo won't ever see it. I'll try the 2 methods above and see what happens.

7. Borack

Borack Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    OK....sooo..Two techs came out...A TIVO guy and his trainee...When this first started, I exchanged the Tuner at the local Spectrum store...Still blinked made an appointment for today.. Tech came out, called the office and matched the MAC address, serial number(ect)...They could net get to function. I was told the guy at the store, issued the tuner (to me) before it was actually entered into thier inventory...The result would be IT WONT WORK....So, the experts agree it had to be entered into inventory, or go get another one and make another appointment to pair them....(Techs did not carry one)..I said, well go ahead enter it in inventory..Which meant a trouble ticket internally for that to happen and it should work within three days...They couldn't answer why it happened to the original in the first place...The tech did spend almost three hours here, two of them being on hold from his own people..Heck of a way to run a train...!! So now I wait for inventory control to enter it...Will keep ya posted...
    USLABB--Thanks for that...I had ordered a BOLT from Amazon (just in case) and cancelled it after reading your post.....

8. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    If the TiVo doesn't see it, try switching which USB port you're using on the TiVo. Sometimes one of the USB ports works but the other one doesn't.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    That table is obscurely worded. Two examples:
    6-blinks-pause simply means the TA has lost communication with the TiVo, either because the USB cable is disconnected or faulty, or because the TiVo is in the process of restarting.

8-blinks-pause means the TA has lost authorization. The cable system has to send an authorization signal about every 25 or 30 days. The exact date and time (to the second) when authorization expires can be found in the TA diagnostics menu, Power Key section, and is called "Sub Expires". Yes the TA becomes a brick then.

10. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Shouldn't a table blink and then go solid Amber (I have Motorola tas) by just being connected to cable? Once it blinks and eventually goes solid, plug in the USB which should create a screen prompt that "tuning adaptor has been connected). I know it is never that simple but that is how it should work.

11. Borack

Borack Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Not that simple....Thanks tho..

12. Borack

Borack Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    No Tuner Adapter flash, steady light...but the channels (Premium) still no workie.....!

13. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    This is probably an issue with your cable card pairing or an authorization issue of what channels you’re supposed to receive.

14. Borack

Borack Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    OK...Final result..MAC address put in backwards on their end when my "Promotional" period ended almost two weeks ago...So Mr. UCLABB. you are right again..!!

15. rbronco21

rbronco21 Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Did your TiVo recognize it before they fixed the MAC address? My light goes steady, but the TiVo never sees it.

16. Borack

Borack Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Yes...The light did go steady....and weird enough, perhaps one or two premium channels would come in..Then if ya changed channels and came back to it it would say..:Temporarily unavailable...

17. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    you will see the main hbo, starz,showtime and cinemax channels. the 2nd 3rd and so on wont be available. also variety pak and sports pak or the equivalent are sdv