1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio suddenly not seeing 5GHz network

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by pdx8080, Jun 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pdx8080

pdx8080 New Member

May 30, 2014
    I just got back from a trip to find that my wirelessly connected Roamio was complaining of having no guide data. Looking through the settings revealed that it had become disconnected from my wi-fi. The list of networks did not show my 5GHz network, to which it had previously been connected. I verified that other devices were having no trouble on the 5GHz network. Rebooting the Tivo, as well as toggling the wi-fi off and on again, had no effect.

The Tivo did still list my 2.4GHz network and connected to it without problem.

My question for you: is it possible for the Tivo's 5GHz radio to fail while the 2.4GHz counterpart keeps on working?

Secondly, am I the only one this is happening to, or was there some bad update that's crippling 5GHz radios?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should try rebooting your router/gateway.

Yes, I have had problems with devices connecting on 5g. They would refuse to connect to 5g but will connect to N.

3. pdx8080

pdx8080 New Member

May 30, 2014
    Just rebooted. Unfortunately no change, at least with regard to my own 5G network. Other 5G networks in the neighborhood are shown, which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case last night. But that rules out a failed 5G radio...

My own 5G network is nowhere to be found. And I can't seem to enter it manually because an underscore symbol is not among those offered by Tivo when entering the SSID.

My phone, located right next to the Tivo, is connected to my 5G network without any problems and reports a strong signal.

I hate problems that happen without an obvious cause.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just spit balling. It is possible to disable the broadcast of an SSID on most routers. If the 2.4GHz SSID is available, I would be sure it works. Perhaps your other devices on 5GHZ can shed some light on the problem. I have both bands in use since my printer only has 2.4GHz. I also need to use 2.4GHZ for my Sony TV or it loses its connection.

5. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Are you using extra wide channels? I don't use wireless on our Roamios but you can configure most modern routers to use 20, 40, or 80MHz bandwidth. You should use maximum compatibility settings if you can't see the router at all.

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Long shot, but if you are using auto channel select on the 5GHz band, try setting it to a fixed channel instead.

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I'm not saying this is your problem, but I've seen some cases where routers support a larger set of 5Ghz channels than client devices due to a lot of equipment being sold before all the standards were locked in. Then some event causes the router/AP to switch to a different 5Ghz channel and most equipment just adjust, but a few adapters can't see the new channel because it isn't one that they support.

Are you able to force the 5Ghz on the Router/AP to use the most standard default channel available?

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes, if for some reason it's using, I think 140, 142 or 144? Not sure about the channel number? Many devices won't see that. I know many of my devices won't see it. I have a couple of neighbors that are using that channel since I hog all of the other 5Ghz channels with my five APs.. But none of my APs or router can even use that channel. Something is special about it and I think it can interfere with aircraft or something.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    sakaike and aaronwt like this.
  10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Since you have other multiple 5G networks in your neighborhood that the Tivo is detecting, one or more of them could be using the same channel as your 5g network and causing interference at the location of your Tivo. Try selecting a new channel for your 5G network until you find one that the Tivo can recognize.