Roamio skipped an episode and set to do it again

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by headless chicken, May 28, 2020.

1. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    I just noticed my Roamio TE3 skipped the recording for DC's Legends of Tomorrow dated 5/12. I won't be watching this show anytime soon but noticed there was a new episode next week in the guide, also flagged "New" that was not scheduled to record though I have a 1Pass. This would be the second time this season the Roamio would not have picked up a recording for this series. What is going on and is there any way to solve it?

I've been pretty peeved about the lack of Skipmode on many shows in the past month as well as the garbage guide data, but now Tivo is making egregious errors and unable to do the very main thing it was designed to do!

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    That's strange. Not sure about 5/12, but there was a new episode on 5/19 (no skipmode) and 5/26 (has skipmode), the season finale. I don't see any upcoming episodes in the next two weeks.

3. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    the ep on 5/12 titled "Freaks and Greeks" was indeed new, as they all have been since April 21st. (no info about SkipMode which I don't use)

5/26 was not the season finale; we get one more on June 2nd.

If you go to manually add the recording, does it also prompt you to make a new Pass?

4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    On Tue 6/2 my guide is showing The Flash and Batwoman, both with generic guide data, so my New Only 1P is set to record them.

All my CW programs next week show generic guide data, so my New Only 1Ps are picking up Batwoman and Supergirl on Sunday, Black Lightning Monday, Legacies Thursday and Charmed Friday.

The CW website shows repeat Stargirl and Supergirl Sunday, new Roswell Monday, new Stargirl and Legends (season finale) Tuesday, new 100 Wednesday, new Burden of Proof and In the Dark Thursday. Doesn't have Friday yet.

Just connected to TiVo service. Still bad guide data next week for CW. Thanks TiVo. I'll wait to Sunday, then probably set up manual recordings. This is for my OTA Bolt and CableOne Roamio. Both identical bad data after connecting.

5. Jun 3, 2020 #5 of 12
    Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Yikes, is freaks and geeks the one where they were at the college, with the god? If so, I got that, thankfully. I’d have been pissed.

The Guide data this year has been horrible.

I actually got 2 copies of e2 Stargirl, but that’s better than getting none.

land yeah, the guide data past a few days out is disastrous anymore. Used to be basically the full 2 weeks was good save for last minute changes.

6. Jun 3, 2020 #6 of 12
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I've noticed that when the schedule first appears in the Guide Data, CW has generic information (and sometimes weird generic information, like Flash and Batwoman on Tuesdays instead of Flash and Legends, and no The 100 on Wednesdays). But it usually clears up within a couple of days, although sometimes it takes almost a week.

Since I've noticed this pattern, however, it's never failed to record something that it should have. I also haven't noticed this issue on any other channel.

Interestingly, this week the new listings for Sunday and Monday (6/14 and 15) are correct from the get-go...Stargirl and Supergirl reruns on Sunday and no Black Lightning on Monday.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  7. Jun 3, 2020 #7 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm not sure when they roll out the real listings. I think it's Saturday or Sunday. Check MSNBC for Saturday. When it changes from TBA to real programs the whole week switches.

8. Jun 3, 2020 #8 of 12
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The CW listings generally change (or should I say "changed," since this week there's been nothing that needs changing?) on a rolling basis throughout the week. I.e., the first day or two (or three?) they'd have the generic listings, then they'd shift to the actual listings.

This seems to be (have been?) a different issue than the TBA problems, or the late-night listing problems.

Tonight we should get the initial Tuesday listings. It will be interesting to see if it's generic Flash-Batwoman, or whatever will actually be on that night. Given the past couple of days, I'm guessing we'll get the real thing straight out of the gate.

9. Jun 7, 2020 #9 of 12
    snoop

snoop Member

Oct 9, 2002
    I've had this problem over the last month with several shows. Some Jimmy Kimmels got truncated to 30 minutes when its a one hour show and some new episodes showed with generic descriptions "loose LA based talk show" and didn't record with onepass. A lot of shows also have become extremely erratic with SKIP files. About 2/3 of some shows have them and only 1/3 of other shows do, when they used to get them every day.

Anyone else think Tivo is circling the drain?

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Not me. And Jimmy Kimmel Live has been doing 30 minutes at home, then a Nightline, then a 30 minute repeat for about a month now. There's a lot of repeats and missing SM for a few months too. I'm not sure what could be causing this. o_O

Puppy76 likes this.
  11. snoop

snoop Member

Oct 9, 2002
    He did that for a short time and stopped. I'm watching the show and he's still interviewing someone with another guest coming up and the recording stops at 30 minutes. Its now doing 60, but it looks like it was stuck on 30 even after he went back to a 60 minute show.

I know what's causing the problems. Some of the data requires interaction with a person. The commercial skip is a human done thing, entirely manual. There is much less 'skip' or you get erratic skip availability.

So given the data of often generic, the shows aren't having skip files tells me tivo isn't running with a full crew, the folks they have aren't interested in their jobs, tivo hasn't put out much in the way of new hardware worth upgrading to, their big product is an android tv streamer missing a lot of features and without tivo integration without a new tivo or a $100+ box, and how many times they've been bought, sold, sliced and diced that I wouldn't lay out big $ for a tivo product right now, expecting 5-6 years of duty from it.

Series 1 user since 1999. I used to be their biggest fan and had the highest post count here for 3 years (different account). Wouldn't be my recommendation now to buy any of their stuff. If I want "loose la based talk show" when my streaming service has a description for the show, and 1/3 to 2/3 of the shows getting commercial skip, there are a lot of other products at a lower price point that will at least get the guide data right.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The 15 minute show started mid-April. It hasn't changed. Most have SM, but last night didn't. His normal breaks are done with substitute hosts, but that was before he started confinement. All late night shows have a problem with SM, especially The Late Show. Maybe you have a different ABC feed than I do.