Roamio signal meter not working

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by scott784, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Jun 5, 2019 #1 of 15
    scott784

scott784 New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Does anyone have ideas on how I can trouble shoot my OTA Roamio for the signal meter? It's weird, but starting about 6 weeks ago - when I tried to use the signal meter - it no longer worked. It simply displays every station at 62 percent now - which of course - I know is wrong because I know my locals very well; and they are not all the same signal strength.

I've thought about calling TiVo for support. But if I am not mistaken, I think all of the call center employees are now overseas. My guess is that they would have me reset everything back to factory settings. But I've had the Roamio for 2 years; and it has lots of recordings that I don't work to lose.

The OTA Roamio is otherwise working fine. But I'd really like a functioning signal meter again. Those signal meters are very helpful when experimenting with any other antenna placements; and I want it back. Thanks for any responses.

2. Jun 5, 2019 #2 of 15
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    Are you running the latest version of TE4 (Hydra)? That is a known bug that has not been fixed yet

3. Jun 5, 2019 #3 of 15
    scott784

scott784 New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    It shows b hyra-mira 4-6 05/14/2019-0927

4. Jun 6, 2019 #4 of 15
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Are all the signal strength % and SNR identical in Diagnostics too? Those are real time (almost).

5. Jun 6, 2019 #5 of 15
    scott784

scott784 New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    I checked that last night. Fortunately, the information in diagnostics is still there (and accurate). But what is not, is the ability to use the remote to simply/quickly scroll through each channel with the signal meter turned on with real time signal strength/percentage information. And I don't know how I can change/fix this since TiVo is the one that pushes the software updates to my Roamio on its schedule.

6. Jun 9, 2019 #6 of 15
    Stu Mac

Stu Mac New Member

Jun 9, 2019
    Hi all. New member just reporting in with the exact same problem. I actually did call Tivo Tech Support yesterday as this was vexing me while I was trying to do some slight repositioning of my antenna. Per the tech support, this issue is a known bug which was introduced with the release of their 21.9.x software version. I ran into it as, all of a sudden, all of my channels showed a "60" signal strength - including channels hundreds of miles away. Tech support said that it's been reported by over 30 users of the Roamio and that it's with their engineers to fix in an upcoming software version (no time given for release). Can confirm that System Diagnostics does indeed show the "correct" signal strength. Their only remedy was to downgrade the software several version but that would reset all settings and it would most likely get overwritten the next time Tivo dials home. Going to give it another week or two and then will call them back to see if there's an update available from tech support.

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. Jun 9, 2019 #7 of 15
    scott784

scott784 New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Thanks for your post about this. I was 'hoping' that it was just a software thing and not something quirky to my Roamio alone. I guess fingers crossed that they get this fixed on next software update.

8. Ozarks

Ozarks TiVo

Apr 29, 2017
    Carroll...
    I'm having the exact same problem.
    How does one get to the "Diagnostics" screen?

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Home, Menu, Help, Account & System Info, Diagnostics.

Ozarks likes this.
  10. Ozarks

Ozarks TiVo

Apr 29, 2017
    Carroll...
    Thank you.

JoeKustra likes this.
  11. holysin

holysin New Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Excellent, was hoping it was an update bug: Same basic problem all signals show the same strength (60)with a peak of 0, no image displayed during antenna signal strength meter testing on roamio ota running software v 21.9.1.v9-846-6-846

12. Doug Jones

Doug Jones New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Anyone have any idea when the signal meter will be working? Or fixes?

13. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Not positive but I believe it sort of works (software v9)... if you tune to the channel you want to check beforehand and then go to signal strength it works for that channel. If you change to any other channel it gives you the original channel's strength. I used it to adjust my antenna by going to the station first and it worked fine. So to check a channel you need to tune to that channel before going into Signal Strength...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  14. Doug Jones

Doug Jones New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Yea but that’s a big pain
    1 - living by yourself and
    2 - the antennae isn’t easily accessible.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  15. Mordy

Mordy New Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Okay it seems to be working on minw (this morning at least). Funny though I also got a message wanting me to buy a new bolt and service plan.