Roamio--Replace failing drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by lew, Apr 30, 2021.

1. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002

Advertisements

So many threads are so old I'm not sure what is current.

I have a 12 year old Roamio. Hard drive seems to be failing. I've had tivos for over 20 years, I know the signs.
    Unit has a 3T drive. Installed shortly after I purchased my tivo. I replaced the factory drive and let tivo download and install the software. I allowed my unit to upgrade to TE4.

I want to keep my recordings.

Looks like I need to be careful as to what drive. I think I can find a 4T efrx Is that the way to go or will a WD purple do the trick? Is one better then the others. Any chance a WD purple will be SMR?

4T is the biggest drive that will let me easily do what I want.

MFS The right program. Any special options?

Thanks.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    johnbrown44 likes this.
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I doubt your Roamio is 12 yrs old, mine is from 2013-2014.

You can replace with drives up to 8 TB (or more.) When you replace the drive directly (just swapping drives), Only Roamio, can format itself, but just up to 3TB (or less, about 282 hrs). After that, hook to a Windows compatible PC and run MFSR.

If you want to save recordings to the new drive,use MFSTools 3.3, but that is limited to 4TB, and you should be able to expand with the same.

4. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Should I hunt for a wd efrx or grab a purple?
    My bad with the age I thought I was setting it up before 2008 superbowl. It was before 2012 superbowl and it was a premier. I wound up selling my Premier and Tivo HD and buying a Roamio in 20q3.

krkaufman likes this.
  5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Yes. Find CMR and avoid SMR.

6. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You said you want to keep your recordings, so only two options (As long as the drive is still working):

1. Start copying all of them off the current box to another TiVo, or to a computer with something like pyTivo, then you can move them back onto the box when it has a new drive.
    or
    2. Clone the existing drive to a new drive and save them that way.

The "clone" can be done with either ddrescue or MFS. Of course, if your current drive already has errors, you may have problems trying to save the recordings.