Roamio remote "tv input" button

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Budule, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Budule

Budule New Member

Oct 25, 2015

Advertisements

Got the Roamio today , still trying to set it up (suddenlink is having trouble with the card thingy) but anyway , I got the remote setup for the "tv input" button and it brings it up but wont let me scroll to select anything , am I doing it wrong ?

2. WatchinInTheNW

WatchinInTheNW New Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Pacific...
    For my TV, which is a Vizio, I have to push the tv input button multiple times until it is on the input I want - and then just wait a few seconds, and then the TV accepts that as a selection without me hitting enter or anything. Perhaps someone here has found a better way?

3. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Same here with a Sony TV.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Most TVs now let you press a VOL +/- and the input screen clears.

5. Budule

Budule New Member

Oct 25, 2015

Advertisements

all mine will do is bring it up , or press it again to clear it...cant seam to select any of the options (tv , ps4 or pc)

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Get a learning TiVo remote like Slide Pro and teach it the discrete input command you need using a JP1 remote ($3 on eBay or free if you already have and old Cable box remote). I can post all discrete input codes for every brand TV mentioned in this thread so far.

7. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Same here, hit tv input, then again to move through choices.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    If it does not move through the choices, you may look to use another remote code for the TV model. I had that happen.

9. Budule

Budule New Member

Oct 25, 2015
    would the arrows and select buttons be the one to navigate this with ? when I try and use those they are working the TiVo menus in the background instead of the inputs in the foreground....im sad now ....on a bright note , suddenlink FINALLY got the card paired and now I'm watching tv!....1st card they gave me was "wrong area" , tech brought second card and said "that should do it " (it didn't) tech came back with 3rd card because he said "they messed something up when they tried to pair it"....all good now though...

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Arrows and select are always going to be Tivo commands no matter what code you try. Keep searching for a TV code that cycles through the inputs just using the Input button. What's the make and model of your TV?

JBA2337 likes this.
  11. Budule

Budule New Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Its a Mitsubishi wd737 73 inch.....TiVo had me do the code search and I tried all codes , SEVERAL will bring up the window but then there is no way to select anything ...the input button on the tv remote dosent change the input either , it just brings up the available inputs then you arrow over to the one you want and select it....so , I don't think its gona happen on this TiVo remote :(

I noticed the "slide pro " has arrows and a select on the slide part ....would that be an option ?

So , actually it takes 3 buttons to change inputs , the input button , the arrow and the select...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  12. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Those arrows are the same in both places, all Tivo commands. But it's learning, so you could simply learn the HDMI 1 command or whatever it is you're after directly to the TV Input button. So you wouldn't need any arrows, it would go directly to the right input with a single command.

If you get the remote and a cable tv remote to teach it, here are the codes using TV setup code 0150 (10150):
    Code:
    00233	HMDI 1
    00007	HMDI 2
    00020	DVI/PC
    00199	input 1
    00071	Input 2
    00135	Input 3
    00073	Component 1
    00201	Component 2
    00009	Component 3
    00231	Ant A
    00036	Ant B
    To send one of the above commands from a cable TV remote (certain models), assign the above setup code to TV (press TV, hold Setup for 2 blinks followed by code - 2 blinks for success), test a command or two to make sure it operates the TV, then tap Setup followed quickly by the command code above. Signal is sent while you press the final digit, so hold it down when teaching until you get confirmation blinks on the Tivo remote.

Or you may be able to send discretes directly from the Mits remote for teaching purposes:

13. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    You could search ebay for directv TiVo remote, which has slide switch with dvr/tv, under tv the cursor keys control the tv.

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo remote will only program the Vol -/+, Mute, Input and power buttons. If the TV needs other buttons (chup/dn, arrow buttons) to move between selections, you would have to use the TV's remote or a remote that's completely programmable, such as from Logitech.

krkaufman likes this.
  15. JBA2337

JBA2337 New Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I have a Tivo Roamio OTA, and an LG TV. If I use the LG remote control that came with the TV, and press the Input button it cycles through the input choices. Then if I press OK (Select) the input immediately changes to the one I selected. With the TiVo remote control I can easily cycle through the input choices, but when I push the Select button nothing happens for 1 minute. Does anybody know of codes for LG TV's, so I can program the Input button so that the TiVo remote control will behave like the LG remote control?

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You can't. Two choices: programmable remote or patience. I only need to wait about five seconds on my LG or Sony TV sets.

17. JBA2337

JBA2337 New Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Wow! Changing inputs in 5 sec. would be great if I could get mine to do that. I instructions how to program the Input button at: support.tivo.com/articles
    /Installation_Setup_Configuration/Remote-Control-Programming-Codes.
    Following the instructions in the section to "control the TV Input (source) function", I tried at least 10 different configurations.The Input button works, but I still have to wait one minute for the input to change after selecting an input. I was hoping that someone has a code for LG TV's that would make my Tivo remote control work more like the original LG remote control, where I can change inputs immediately.

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It could be worse. I had a small Samsung and while I could program the Input button, additional pressing didn't move the input. I think it canceled the change. The time to change back to the input is pretty quick on my Roku/Sharp TV also, but I seldom switch inputs on that TV.

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Insignia TV in our kitchen doesn't work with the TiVo remote. Pressing the Input button just brings up the input selection menu on the TV, and pressing the Input button again dismisses the menu.

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As you've described it, the TiVo's Input button is behaving exactly like your LG remote's Input button; the problem is that the TiVo remote doesn't have an associated TV Select button ... so you're stuck waiting for the TV's timeout.

You might check if there's a way to decrease the timeout period of the LG TV.

Note that a programmable universal remote would provide the TV Select function, but may also make the TV Select button moot for this operation assuming the TV has distinct IR codes available for direct selection of the desired TV Input.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018