Roamio Remote Problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by chris walsh, Jul 7, 2018.

1. chris walsh

chris walsh New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I've had a Roamio and two minis for about a year now. Over that time, all three of the remotes have failed -- stopped responding/lighting up even with new batteries. For the first one, I assumed it was dropped and something got knocked loose, but tonight one died in my hands. Opened guide, then boom, it's dead. Fortunately my old Series 2 remotes are still working ten years later. Has anyone had similar problems with Roamio remotes? All three units were purchased at different times, from different places...am surprised by the 100% failure rate. Am buying a couple of cheap universal remotes tomorrow and then may try to open up one or two of the dead remotes to see if I can find out what went wrong.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... cheap replacement for RF Roamio remotes...

3. chris walsh

chris walsh New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Thanks - this is a great resource...will definitely get a couple. Separately, the remote that died came back to life after I left the batteries out overnight, so it may be a software bug rather than a hardware problem. Glad I didn't tear it apart yet.

4. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    I have experienced this. I realize it isn't working when the volume doesn't change, then realize no buttons are working. Taking out the batteries waiting a moment or two then replacing fixes it till next time.