Roamio Remote Problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by hhh222, Feb 12, 2016.

1. hhh222

hhh222 Member

Jul 28, 2005

Advertisements

Howdy....I've got 2 tivo remotes set up for rf and have had intermittent problems from the get go with buttons not responding on occasion. Example--on occasion I might have to press the skip button 4 or 5 times before it responds but it will eventually respond (this is with both remotes). The last 2 days most buttons would not respond until I restarted the unit. Anyone else experiencing this type of problem?

2. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    I have Roamios, Minis and a Bolt and have never had the issues you are having. Sounds like some sort of interference problem, have you tried IR mode just to make sure the buttons are OK?

3. choco

choco Active Member

Nov 3, 2000
    Southern CA
    When you press a button, could it be switching to IR mode so that you need line of sight? You can tell by the color that flashes at the top of the remote: yellow = RF mode, red = IR mode.

For us, it sometimes randomly switches to IR mode, and then we have to get one button press to register with line of sight before it starts working in RF mode again. Sort of a pain, but we've learned to deal with it now that we can tell what it's doing.

4. hhh222

hhh222 Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The light on the front of the Roamio responds to the signal from the remote but that's all. If no one else has experienced this, it must be a bug in my unit.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

Apparently RF pairing of remotes can vary in quality, I.e., there is pairing and then there is good pairing.

I had exactly this behavior and lived with it for months. Since it was blinking yellow most of the time I assumed my remote was paired for RF operation and these problems were just normal -- or my remote was defective.

However, I finally contacted TiVo support via email and got a response suggesting a "global reset" and giving this link:
    https://support.tivo.com/SupportPor...-Perform-a-Global-Reset-for-my-Remote-Control
    After performing this reset and re-pairing my remote is finally acting like I thought it should. It never falls back to IR (red light) operation and the TiVo response for all actions seems more snappy. It's been a couple of weeks since the reset and my batteries are not fresh (80%) so I'm convinced this fix is permanent and real.

6. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    I had similar problems. I ended up working with TiVo Help over the telephone for about 30 minutes. The solutions finally took hold, but not before several attempts that didn't work.

Call TiVo Help and have a nice full glass of patience within arm's reach!

7. ss-stingray

ss-stingray Sony DHG refugee

Aug 24, 2013
    Port...
    I had the same problem until I put in new batteries........

8. choco

choco Active Member

Nov 3, 2000
    Southern CA
    It doesn't happen too often to us, and probably less often when the batteries are newer/stronger. We've done a global reset in the past, but maybe the 2nd pairing wasn't good enough either, lol. Will give it another try.

9. hhh222

hhh222 Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks everyone for you responses. I'll try the global reset and go from there.

10. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    I had those problems for months after I bought my roamio. It is sitting in the open in an entertainment center 12 feet straight in front of me. When i got it I just unplugged my TiVo HD, put it's cable card in the roamio and placed the roamio on top of the HD. One day I got frustrated with the remote performance and repositioned the roamio so that it overhangs the front of the HD by a few inches. Bingo. Works like a champ ever since. Maybe the antenna in the roamio was being interfered with by proximity to the HD's metal box?

11. LoveGardenia

LoveGardenia Member

Apr 24, 2015
    I have a problem with my Roamio Remote not holding a code to control TV power/ volume for more than a couple of days and it drains the battery fast. Do I need to reset the remote or replace it? I have an older peanut remote working with the Roamio and TV at the moment.

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If your remote batteries are good Alkaline models and don't last at least a month your remote is defective. Mine last much longer than that. From what I've read TiVo usually replaces remotes without too much fuss at least if you're in the one year warranty period. They will probably make you try a global reset before they agree to replace it.

13. RoamioJeff

RoamioJeff Unregistered User

May 8, 2014
    Bingo!

14. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I have this issue as well. The remote is in RF mode, does not drop into IR mode.

And in any case, the light on the Roamio Plus front panel indicates it's getting a command, it just won't execute it until I hit the same button several times.

Fresh batteries don't help.

I will attempt to clear the remote and re-pair it, but confidence is low that this will work. I suggest there's some kind of issue with some of the boxes.

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Not sure what you mean by "clear" it but, just to be clear, what you should try is a "global reset", which is not just re-pairing the RF. Start with the link given in my post #5 in this thread.

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Well for unknown reasons my remote went back to "poorly paired" operation yesterday. I did the global reset and re-pairing again and that fixed it (but for how long?). The TiVo system info keeps saying the remote batteries are at 80% although they have been in use a long time and I'm wondering how valid that reading is.

Coincidentally (I assume) this happened the same day skip mode was finally activated on my unit. There was no software update associated with this.

17. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    So I read all the FAQs on the RF remotes, and one buried item in there said to keep the TiVo away from network switches as they might interfere with RF remote operations.

I have a Netgear switch in the equipment cabinet about two feet from the TiVo. It's one of the 'consumer' versions that has a plastic housing. Just for giggles, I replaced it with a 'commercial' Netgear switch that has a metal housing, and so far, the remote has worked perfectly for about two hours of me torturing it trying to get it to act up, when last night I had to constantly repeat button presses to get it to respond.

Confidence, as they say, is moderately high that this may have been my issue. We'll see in a few days if it continues to work.

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I've just swapped remotes since I saw the red LED a lot in RF mode. It was a pain to swap also.

To test that battery indicator, get some Lithium batteries. They should say 100%, until they die quickly. My last pair lasted about a year.

19. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    After using TiVos for almost 10 years, I can't believe how badly the Roamio RF ones perform.

Aside from having very limited IR range to control other devices, at least two of the ones I have now INSISTS on being in IR mode for the first 3 or 4 button presses calling a TiVo function, eventually switching to RF.

I have done a full reset of the remote per the TiVo support site, followed by pairing it, and that seemed to work for an hour, then it reverted to being stupid. I have 'forced' RF mode, again per TiVo support, and no change. I have tried new Lithium batteries, new regular batteries, makes no difference.

And one of the two is now also experiencing keybounce, where I will be in the guide and do PgUp and get two or more PgUp commands sent, followed by a totally uncalled for PgDown with the guide bouncing all over the place as it's happening.

This has been so disappointing. The one thing I could count on for a decade of use was the TiVo remote working properly, and now it's just a source of immense frustration, ruining much of the experience.

20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I feel for you. The dropping to IR mode happens to me frequently. Sometimes a reset helps for a while. I've learned to look at the remote when a button press fails. Sometime just waiting a few seconds fixes it for a while.

A full reset is a PITA since you need to reprogram all the other functions too. I've tried two remotes and Lithium batteries at 100%, all to no effect.

The delay is learned, like watching SNL from My Shows.