Roamio Remote keeps switching from RF to IR

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by cmshep222, Mar 11, 2014.

1. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005

Advertisements

My Roamio Basic has been working great since I bought last Aug. Starting a few weeks back, intermittently my remote becomes unresponsive and switches to the RED blinking IR on the Roamio remote. Then after giving it a few seconds rest...it switches back to RF. It's really annoying.

Tivo has already replaced the remote (great service by the way), but the issue has not gone away. Could the RF unit inside the actual TiVo Roamio Basic be going bad?

Has anyone seen this?

2. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Probably not the batteries then if its doing the same thing using a new remote with fresh ones. Did you add any new devices recently that might be causing RF interference?

3. midson

midson Member

Feb 26, 2005
    Same thing was happening to me. When the remote switched to IR I had to point it at the box to get RF to reinitialize. I ordered a slide pro remote and the RF works reliably with that. I never did solve the issue with the original remote.

4. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    @eric102. Yes, replacing batteries was the 1st thing I did before calling TiVo on this.

@midson. Interesting. Though I hate to buy a new remote to solve the issue, since it's an issue and not normal for all.

5. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012

Advertisements

Did you try a global reset on the remote? That resets everything back to the factory defaults. If I remember right you hold the TiVo and TV power button down until the light comes on, then thumbs down 3 times and then enter. You might have to re-pair the RF after that.

6. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    @eric102. Yes, did that as well.

7. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    I have a Slide Pro that I've been using on a Premiere XL4 that's exhibiting the same symptoms. I bought 4 at the same time (two on a Roamio Pro, one each on a Mini and the PXL4). The others are not showing the same issue. I haven't swapped the misbehaving remote with one of the others yet, to see if it follows the remote or the dongle.