Roamio Records, Allows Xfer to/from PC, But Won't Play Any Shows

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by szwjunk, Mar 2, 2021.

1. szwjunk

szwjunk New Member

Jun 2, 2004

Advertisements

Here's a weird one. I assume it's time for a new Hard Drive but figured I'd ask before I go there.
    1. On Sunday I was transferring a show from my PC to the Roamio (upgraded 6 years ago with a 3TB WD Red) using PyTiVo Desktop.
    2. In mid-transfer the TiVo rebooted itself, But when it recovered the transfer had completed and the transferred file played fine.
    3. All the existing recordings played fine, but no new recordings made after that would play.
    4. I did a hard reboot. And after that nothing would play - even the programs that would play after the soft reboot(s). When I navigate to a program in the Recordings list and press Play, the screen just blinks and refreshes. Playback never starts.
    5. Any new PyTivo transfers will play if I start playing them during the transfer, but not after the transfer completes.
    6. New programs are being correctly recorded and will transfer to the PC, and, again, if I then transfer them back to the TiVo I can play them if I start playback during the transfer.
    7. I ran a couple of Kickstarts (54 - disk scan, completed fine; 57 - Media File Scan - nothing reported; and I tried a 52 - Emergency System Reinstall, but that didn't actually do anything)
    8. Re-doing guided setup made no difference.
    The weird thing is that absolutely everything seems to be working fine - recording, guide updates, transfers, etc. - except playback of recordings on the device.My hunch is that the glitch on Sunday corrupted data in some part of the file system which playback relies upon to identify, locate and play back the video file on the drive. My last ditch effort will be a complete delete and reset (once I have moved files I wish to keep) and if that doesn't work I will have to start over with a new drive to get a virgin system image installed (I imagine I will have to rollback from Hydra once that's done, but that's another story).
    Anyone ever seen anything like this? And/or have any other suggestions for remediation?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you record something new does it play?

I had this happen once after a software update during a beta. Everything I recorded prior to the update refused to play, but all subsequent recordings worked. TiVo never did figure out what caused it. The recordings were just lost.

3. szwjunk

szwjunk New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Hi Dan. No, nothing will play at all - new recordings, old recordings, or new transfers (unless, as I mentioned, I start playback while the transfer is in progress). But I can transfer them from the TiVo to my PC. It's all very odd...

(By the way - I am a delighted VideoReDo customer/owner!)

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I would say its Hydra/TE4 and when you try to play a show, it has to play an ad first, which it hasn't/failed to download.
    But, then you could transfer shows back to the Tivo (which Hydra disabled that function.) Confounding.

5. szwjunk

szwjunk New Member

Jun 2, 2004

Advertisements

Actually, I am still running TE3 (which I have specifically kept so I can do file transfers), so it can’t be related to Hydra. My reference to Hydra was in anticipation of having to revert from Hydra if I replace the drive and start over. I assume that if I do that I will end up with Hydra by default...

6. szwjunk

szwjunk New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Brief update: I ran the "Delete Everything and Start Over" recovery option from the TiVo Help menu and everything is behaving again. (To my - considerable - relief I didn't even have to contact Comcast to re-pair the Cable Card).