Roamio reboots regularly - what to do?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by trip1eX, Dec 10, 2018.

1. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    and today it took another step into the weird.

Lost connection to Roamio from the Mini but not because of reboot. Son got an error while trying to watch recording on Roamio. It said something like “The TiVo box couldn't record this program because there was no signal. You may have tried to record on a channel that you do not receive.” Mini quickly regained connection though.

We find out he couldn’t play recording while at the same time recordings could be watched in the Mini.

Anyway told him to just watch live tv for awhile and I will look at it later. And then 10 minutes later it reboots like it has been rebooting the past 3 months for what seems like a few times per week. Mini loses connection.

This time though I discover that it appears instead of just rebooting and losing 5 minutes of a recording. It was down for 20 minutes as if it stopped recording right when my son got the error message.

Anybody got any clue on this? Seems like this latest development means problem is getting worse.

2. anthem11

anthem11 New Member

May 15, 2012
    It may be a Power Saving settings thing. I'm wondering if the Roamio is going into "standby" mode? Is it fully rebooting or just waking up?

3. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    reboots. power saving is off (in manual mode.)

4. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    one reboot in the past week. Happened when the wife got on the Roamio and I watching on the Mini upstairs.

5. josim

josim Member

May 21, 2016
    South Carolina
    I had some reboots and replaced the power supply/wall wart. It is cheap and easy trouble shooting step.

jrtroo likes this.
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Roamio Plus or basic Roamio?

7. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    Thanks. I will try that eventually.

PLus

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Plus doesn't have an external power supply. It's not unusual for a Mini to lose connection if its host reboots, mainly if the host doesn't have a fixed IP address. Simplest "cleanup" for the host is a CPI&TDL. Sometime bad data gets received and the TiVo shows its temper.

I reboot all my equipment monthly. And everything is on a UPS.

9. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    Oh yeah Mini always loses connection here when the host reboots. If I just unplug the ethernet cord for a second to the Roamio, the Mini goes out even though it is Moca.

I was thinking of doing a delete everything and starting fresh soon. Always did that on Windows and always fixed annoyances. But I'll try a CPI and TDL first. I did some searching after you mentioned it and lots of people saying it clears up spontaneous reboots at least in an old DTV Tivo thread. Maybe it will work. Crosses Fingers. KNocks on wood.

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    Did this finally yesterday and been about 24 hrs and no reboot. If it goes a week without a reboot while we're watching tv then I'll call it a success. Ok maybe 2 weeks.

krkaufman likes this.
  11. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    It's been a week and no reboots. Starting to feel good about this. KNock on wood. Thanks for the CPI& TDL info. Feel kind of dumb because it seems like it's been a way to fix problems for awhile and I never knew about it or more likely completely forgot as I do about lots of stuff nowadays lol. Also I guess I never held onto my previous Tivos for this long. It's been 5+ years I think. So I never had to do any maintenance before. :)

12. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    I spoke too soon. Roamio rebooted last night. It seems to reboot a lot on Friday night if memory serves correctly. Maybe I will wipe the entire hard drive and start over. Otherwise ...internal power supply or hard drive replacement? Maybe I will change Moca to ethernet and see if that affects anything.

It works well otherwise. It just does that annoying once or twice a week reboot.

13. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    Dear Diary, Today my Mini rebooted but not the Roamio Plus. That's a new one.

krkaufman likes this.
  14. t1voproof

t1voproof Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I had a number of reboots in the last few weeks on my Roamio (no Mini's). Usually it's overnight, but one happened at 11pm.

15. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Over the last (couple) months I have had two or three reboots while viewing/recording on my Roamio. I'm presuming it's software related. If it continues I'll try resetting and go from there.

16. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    15 days since I last posted. 2 reboots. It hasn't slacked off too much.

It only seems to happen when I'm actually watching tv because I'm not discovering a bunch of shows with a 5 minute gap when I first turn on the tv and dive into the list of recordings.

17. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Was going to ask what cpi&tdl was but I saw the link in your sig file, thanks for that.

RE: tuning adapter. I reboot the ta on my xl4 weekly via digital lamp timer.

18. JoelH1965

JoelH1965 New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    So if I do a coi&tdl do I have to redo my one pass settings or does the to do list repopulate? Mines rebooting a lot now.

19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The only loss is entries in your History folder. If you have 1P from Amazon they will lose their program status.

The TDL will repopulate. I may take an hour, but usually less. No settings of anything are affected.

Any restart causes a service connection within 30 minutes. It's that delay that causes the CPI&TDL to take so long to "finish".

20. JoelH1965

JoelH1965 New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Thanks!