Roamio RCA outputs

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Romasurus, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Romasurus

Romasurus New Member

Aug 31, 2014
    S E...

Advertisements

I have a Roamio connected to my TV via HDMI. The rear of the Roamio has 6 multi colored RCA ports of which I believe the Red and White on the right side are the audio outputs.
    Are these outputs active all the time and could I use them to connect to my stereo? I already have a cable that runs to my stereo from an older TV setup so theoretically I should be able to connect a Stereo converter of RCA to 3.5 MM female stereo cable.
    What say you?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Can you read the model number from the back? It starts with TCD. The back of my basic Roamio only has two 3.5mm jacks (composite and component).

On a basic Roamio, the composite A/V output is always active and is limited to PCM. The optical is always active and limited to DD 5.1.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/FAQ/TiVo-Service-Number-and-Model-Number-Table

I expect it's a Plus or Pro.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If it has 6 colored RCA ports, and is a Roamio, it definitely is. (Model number would confirm.)

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm not positive they're active all the time. That is, if your TV is connected to it over HDMI, then they will be active.. but if you switch your TV to another input, they MIGHT go inactive.

I seem to remember that being a problem back when I wanted to have a Tivo hooked to my non-Tivo hard drive/DVD recorder via component AND the TV via HDMI at the same time. It would deactivate some when I switched TV inputs.

I still have that other recorder as the component input on my TV (with one Tivo into IT), but I rarely watch it that way, I usually just stream from the other Tivo.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

That's a good point. Even when I use the optical or A/V outputs, my HDMI is still connected to my AVR. But since the OP wants to use the RCA jacks in addition to the HDMI, it should be ok.

6. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    I have my Roamio hooked up via HDMI and have the (RCA) composite video (yellow) and the analog audio (red / white) connected to a Chanel 3/4 modulator that I have back-fed into my off-air antenna system.
    All works as it should..... so as others have stated, using HDMI and analog audio should work fine.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But do you ever turn OFF the TV or whatever the HDMI is connected to? That's the scenario I was talking about.. though I think it's really only the VIDEO that was modified..

IIRC, it said something like "connection not permitted" on the RCA video when the HDMI was physically connected but not 'talking' on both ends.

8. randywalters

randywalters AVS Old Timer

Oct 21, 2003
    El Segundo,...
    On my Roamio Plus, all my Analog Outputs work simultaneously with my HDMI Output.

I have a small TV monitor on a desk at the far side of my man room that is connected to the Yellow Composite Video and Red/White Audio and i can watch my Roamio on that little TV while my big main TV is also on across the room (connected via HDMI). I've also used the Component Video outputs the same way on a different small HD TV. Same goes for my older Premiere.

But on my Time Warner Arris DVR, i cannot simultaneously use HDMI and the Analog outputs - i get the "Not Permitted" message. It's either/or, but not both.