1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Pros repeatedly rebooting when networked

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by krkaufman, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Mar 9, 2018 #1 of 146
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As a heads-up and simultaneous mutter for help...

Both of our Roamio Pro units have been repeatedly rebooting, today, whenever they're connected to the LAN (via Ethernet). If I disconnect the Ethernet cable from either, they run fine -- but are, of course, inaccessible from our Minis.

Box: Roamio Pros (2x: 6TB and 8TB; 2845 & 3263 shows; 85% & 90% full; 357 & 238 OnePasses)
    Network: Ethernet

Provider: Comcast (CATV/BB)​

The same thing happened to both boxes a few days before the Super Bowl, as well, but they were reconnected after a couple hours and had been fine since. Until today.

I've reconnected one of the boxes to Ethernet and it's rebooted twice more, and counting(?). I made a successful service connection between the reboots, with no "pending restart" showing, and the box made it to just over 481 seconds "since OOB tune start" before rebooting again.

---
    Rebooted at:
    - 481+s
    - 495+s

edit:
    ======
    p.s. Two additional reports of the issue: DPF, byonik

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Mar 9, 2018 #2 of 146
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Anybody have any quick tips on how I could configure an ASUS router to block all Internet connectivity for a single device?

I'd like to test a software/firewall block of the DVR, to see if I could have the Ethernet cable reconnected and allow Mini access... but maybe prevent whatever's tripping-up our DVRs.

3. Mar 9, 2018 #3 of 146
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Bad art work? If we get the RC29 update on Monday (or sooner) it might be the fix. Who knows what evil hides in those generic icons?

My cable card status menu has run time in dddd:hh:mm to save conversion.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. Mar 9, 2018 #4 of 146
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    IP addresses used: 208.73.49.202, but i.TiVo.com looks like 207.44.112.203 which is akimai. I think they do the thumbnails. I can test it.

Tested: blocking i.tivo.com gets me generic icons. But you already get generic icons, so I don't know if that will help.

5. Mar 9, 2018 #5 of 146
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I was thinking more along the lines of blocking an internal IP address from any Internet connectivity.

6. Mar 9, 2018 #6 of 146
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'll look for that after my next reboot. Should start in a few .... ha!! ... seconds. OOB was getting close to 500, and, yep, rebooted, right between "few" and "seconds."

p.s. Might let it reboot one more time, and then disconnect it until I can try the firewall blockade.

7. Mar 9, 2018 #7 of 146
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't know the exact model, but check URL access. I use Netgear, sorry.

I just scanned the RT-N66U manual. Noting on blocking a URL. The N68U has that ability.

The timing of your reboot sounds like the initial VCM connection after any restart. A service connection is usually about 20 minutes after a restart.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  8. Mar 9, 2018 #8 of 146
    generaltso

generaltso Active Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Mine has rebooted twice in the last 15 minutes. Both times while watching something on Netflix.

krkaufman likes this.
  9. Mar 9, 2018 #9 of 146
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Giving Parental Controls a try... we shall see.

RT-AC1900P - Prevent device access to WAN

edit: Seems to be working. I've left one Roamio Pro disconnected from Ethernet, but the other is again on the LAN but blocked from Internet access via the ASUS' Parental Controls dialog... and it hasn't yet rebooted. Once the users have hit the hay I'll remove the parental block and see if the box resumes rebooting. Joy.

p.s. TiVo service connection not possible, blocked by the router's parental controls; but a good thing, in this case.

upload_2018-3-9_21-7-36.png

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  10. Mar 10, 2018 #10 of 146
    DPF

DPF So tired.....

Mar 20, 2003
    Naper-thrill...
    Looking for help on this, my roamio plus started doing this today as well. As long as Ethernet is unplugged, no problem.

Plug in Ethernet, reboots every five minutes. Minis are of course useless.

Looking for options.

Thanks!
    -DPF

11. Mar 10, 2018 #11 of 146
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    My Minis are again functional because I managed to block my two Roamio Pros from accessing the Internet, via a router blockade. It's not a solution, just a temporary workaround to give us access to the DVRs from the Minis. Without an Internet connection, the DVRs remain hobbled.

I'm about to open a path for one of them to see if the situation has changed.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    kpeters59 and JoeKustra like this.
  12. Mar 10, 2018 #12 of 146
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If there was ever a reason to allow user access to control updates you have it. Every device I use has some user control. Maybe not the Roku. At least TiVo could have a URL that lets people have a choice, like the DVR+. It's not like there is no USB port. I guess this is an example of following tradition and not thinking outside the box. Stuff happens, so be prepared.

13. Mar 10, 2018 #13 of 146
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ^^^

14. Mar 10, 2018 #14 of 146
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Nope, allowing access to the Internet for the DVR has triggered a reboot. Noice. I'll leave it connected as-is for a bit longer to confirm the same 500s reboot window.

edit1: Oof. The reboot window was much shorter than 500s, and by so much that I hadn't yet gotten around to checking where "since OOB tune start" stood.

edit2: Ok, I'm going to have to just sit here and stare at the diag screen. The reboot is happening much more quickly today.

edit3: Looks like around 210s is the reboot window, now, rather than 500s.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  15. Mar 10, 2018 #15 of 146
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Unlikely to be related, but did you sign your DVR up for IFTTT integration?

16. Mar 10, 2018 #16 of 146
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's a sad way to spend a Saturday. Have you blocked a specific URL or just pulled the plug?

Not that I can make much from it, but have you looked at your logs? I find the tclient log has a lot of network stuff.

17. Mar 10, 2018 #17 of 146
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Chuckle. I just meant I needed to pay a bit closer attention for a cycle or two to see if the reboot window had changed, and, if so, to what. On the bright side, it's rebooting much more frequently now, so it won't take long to verify the timeframe.

And, no, I've looked at nothing. Don't even know how to look at a TiVo's logs, though I probably should, by now.

18. Mar 10, 2018 #18 of 146
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The logs are a big black hole. They are also in SD, so no sound or video. Access: Clear Clear Enter Enter 0 while in SI. I usually skip to tclient. Looking at them when stuff is ok is helpful since you don't see the word "failure". When stuff is broken there are a lot of failure messages. Also, I have no idea of the displayed time zone. I just check the minutes & seconds.

krkaufman likes this.
  19. Mar 10, 2018 #19 of 146
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yikes. There's a lot o' noise in them thar logs. Trouble is... with the boxes blocked from the Internet, I have a ton of failures of various sorts... and the logs appear to reset after reboots, so it may be difficult to see any error event before the box resets. I might monitor a log or two, anyway, for a couple reboots, but plan on leaving things as-is -- just the DVRs blocked from Internet access -- until maybe early week, hoping the update hits early.

20. Mar 10, 2018 #20 of 146
    tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I assume since you have 6TB and 8TB drives you started with fresh drives, not copy and expand with MFS Tools (since limit is 4TB from what I understand). I am wondering if some problems are being caused by using large drives like these or even smaller ones like mine (3-4TB). Mine have all been installed with MFS Tools copy and expand. Maybe some updates are causing problems with really large drives or even not quite as large copy and expanded drives? I just had a problem with my Roamio Basic 3TB, almost all shows in my wish list folders went out of the folders, they are still there but as individual shows. Hundreds of them (I have thousands of total shows on the drive also). What a mess. My drive is over 90% full, wonder if the problems start when drive is getting full, ie thousands of shows. I created a post about it, mostly wanted to see if anyone had the same problem recently. I have other strange glitches occasionally, since a lot of "bugs" at Tivo since Rovi just assumed it was caused by a bug, wonder if the root cause is the drive (though none of this ever happened pre Rovi)

I had a Roamio Plus that was rebooting like yours (not even expanded, standard drive). It was not the drive, I even tried other drives. Never was able to figure it out, Tivo was nice enough to send me a different unit for $49 I think. The one thing I was able to isolate was the "Tivo Service Level", it is usually "C" with a date. On mine it would keep switching back and forth between "C" and some other letters, can't remember what they were exactly. If I unplugged and plugged it back in it would go to "C" again but would then switch back to the other letters after awhile and start rebooting again, if not "C" it seemed to trigger a reboot. Maybe take a look at your Tivo Service Level sometimes and see if this is happening to you. Not sure if knowing that would help with your current issue, they had to send me a different box as I mentioned. I HOPE all the glitches (including mine with the shows going out of the wish list folders) are NOT a function of using large drives, copy and expand or starting fresh as you must have done..................