1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio problems after Hydra upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by DJinNJ, Oct 14, 2018.

1. DJinNJ

DJinNJ New Member

Jul 7, 2017
    I'm having some new problems after upgrading to the "New Experience". Most of them seem related to sleep mode.
    • After the Tivo wakes up my Yamaha AVR does not receive a digital audio signal from it. I have to go into the Tivo's audio menu and toggle back and forth between PCM and Dolby to restore the audio.
    • After the Tivo wakes up, sometimes I get error messages on certain channels that I'm not subscribed. It seems to resolve itself after a couple minutes, as if the cable card is re-acquiring my subscription info.
    • I just woke up my Tivo halfway into a scheduled recording and the Tivo only started recording it after I woke it up. It slept through the beginning of the scheduled recording.
    Again, I never experienced these problems with sleep mode prior to upgrading to Hydra. Are they known issues with the "New Experience"?

I suppose I could disable sleep mode but I assume that increases wear and tear on the DVR along with added power consumption. Any other suggestions?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes.
    Not entirely true. Tivo will still write/record in standby/sleep. Power saved is only a few watts.

3. DJinNJ

DJinNJ New Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Alright, I dug through one of the other threads discussing this. I thought power saving mode was beneficial for the hard drive but I guess it's just causing problems so I will disable it. Thanks.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My Roamio on TE4 spends most of its life in Standby. It connects to a Yamaha RX-V867 via HDMI. I never have an audio problem. To be more accurate, once I receive DD, it does not go back to PCM when video is absent. If I start with the Roamio in PCM it stays there unless I find DD content. It has worked this way since I added the box last year.

5. DJinNJ

DJinNJ New Member

Jul 7, 2017
    The audio failing to resume upon waking up occurred when the Tivo's audio was set to Dolby. I ended up setting it to PCM and letting the receiver do the decoding. That solved the wakeup problem but I'm not sure which setting provides the most accurate sound.

Even after setting the audio to PCM the other two issues remained, so I've turned power saving off and hopefully that will do it.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I never set the TiVo's audio to PCM unless I'm testing something. All my cable feed's audio is DD, with SD in DD 2.0 and 99% HD in DD 5.1. When streaming Pandora or other stuff, it's usually PCM. I don't have the equipment to test for the accuracy of my audio.

My AVR is on the older side. It still works the same as when I bought it, and I don't have 4k, so there's no incentive to upgrade. The front panel displays active speakers, and when I get an LFE signal, the sub-woofer LED comes on. When watching YouTube or Real Time on HBO, the LED also goes out. The Daily Show is also DD 2.0, as is my local CW station.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You are just sending stereo to the receiver with PCM (your receiver may simulate surround from the stereo signal) so sending Dolby would provide the better sound.

Scott

8. DJinNJ

DJinNJ New Member

Jul 7, 2017
    I set it back to Dolby and turned off power saving which seems to have resolved all of the problems.

It would be nice if the power saving feature worked as intended like it did prior to the software upgrade, but it's an easy enough workaround to leave it disabled so I'm not going to sweat it. Thanks

9. Gordie1124

Gordie1124 New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    I am having the same audio problem with a Roamio and Yamaha receiver (although I'm sure it's the Tivo update). I haven't noticed non-records except for maybe one. Once I had to restart the Tivo, otherwise switching to PCM and back to Dolby works. Very annoying and seemingly very fixable.

10. azsheepdog

azsheepdog New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    I am also having the same problem since the update. Never had the issue before the update, now at least once a week I have to toggle audio to pcm and back to dolby to get my audio back. I will look at disabling power saving mode.

11. sfenton

sfenton Member TCF Club

Feb 8, 2004
    Acworth Ga
    i have power saving off but i am getting the audio problem since the latest update.

12. mroy5150

mroy5150 New Member

May 30, 2017
    I am experiencing the same audio issue when my Roamio OTA wakes up from sleep mode. I toggle the audio setting and it works again. Setting the audio to PCM sends a stereo signal to the amp which then has to convert it to a simulated surround sound. Keeping it set to Dolby will produce a true surround sound.

The only reason I want to use the sleep feature is because there is a fan that runs continuously when the device is on. That fan failed on a previous model and was making a loud noise and caused me to replace the box.