Roamio Pro - V52 and Pixelation

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dlambermont, Nov 27, 2019.

1. dlambermont

dlambermont New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    I was watching a football game on ESPN last week, when all of a sudden the screen blanked with a V52 error. I've spent the last 5 days rebooting, powering off, getting refresh signals sent from the cable company, to no avail. Right now, about 1/3 of my channels have a V52 error message, or are completely pixelated and unwatchable. The other 2/3 are completely fine. WHICH channels are experiencing problems seems to change from day to day. It isn't specific to SD/HD, Premium/Basic channels.

I went though a useless troubleshooting exercise with Tivo, which pointed the finger back to the cable company. I called the cable company and wasted more time with someone that didn't know what a cable card was, much less a Tivo. The call ended with them scheduling a service call.

My Tivo is about 4 1/2 years old, so I'm wondering if there is something that can suddenly fail that would cause these symptoms? Or perhaps the cable card itself?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    How does your cable card conditional access display vary from this one:
    ccCA.JPG
    Important is the VAL: and AUTH: results.

I must say, poor reception is not usually related to the cable card. How about checking Diagnostics for Signal Strength. A value of 90% is good.

ch519-1.JPG

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I've seen TiVo's with too much signal that break up with pixelation.

So, maybe consider trying an attenuator at the input to the TiVo to see if that helps.

An attenuator can be simulated using varying size splitters, as well.

-KP

4. dlambermont

dlambermont New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Hmmm, my conditional access screens don't look anything like that, so not sure. It is a Scientific Atlanta card with a date from 2010...

The closest I can find is on a Copy Protection Info screen, and for Auth Status it shows CP Auth Received"

The Tivo tech asked for auth info on the Active Program screens, but it isn't there. He thought I had a Cisco card, which might be the problem.

My signal strengths are 97 - 100% if I tune to one of the "good" channels. If I tune to one of the "bad" channels, it either shows nothing for signal strength, or it bounces around from nothing to the 50's.

5. dlambermont

dlambermont New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Thanks. When I installed it 4+ years ago, I did have to put some inline attenuaters to bring the signal down to around 92% or so. I just took them off in case that was the issue, but I guess not.

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Hmmm...if some channels are really strong and some are really weak, it seems like there's an issue with the signal you're getting from your cable provider.

If you disconnect every splitter that you can and still get signal to the TiVo, what are your levels like?

What levels are reported in the GUI to your DOCSIS Modem?

-KP

7. 8bitbarbarian

8bitbarbarian Member

Jul 4, 2004
    SF, Ca
    I would say check your actual co-ax cable connection from the wall to your Tivo. My Roamio (with cable card) will get the V52 and the pixelation when my cat gets back behind the tv and moves the cable around. You can jiggle it and see it come back through various pixelated phases and then lock in. I've also seen it with 1/2 the channels as V52 but the rest are working but it was still the co-ax cable.