Roamio Pro randomly rebooting multiple times a day

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by chompythebeast, Aug 21, 2018.

1. chompythebeast

chompythebeast New Member

Jul 5, 2018

Advertisements

This started happening a couple weeks ago the day I added my fifth Mini to my home. At first it seemed as though having my Roamio, A92 Mini, and four A95 Mini Voxs all on MoCa was causing the problem, so I moved two of the Voxs off of MoCa and onto Ethernet. However, the problem never really went away, and in the last few days it seems like it's been getting worse.

My Roamio will just crash all of the sudden and then immediately begin rebooting at seemingly random times during the day and night. Sometimes it happens when I'm watching, other times it happens overnight—I've seen it happen both when all 6 tuners are in use and when only 1 tuner is in use. The problem is starting to drive my family a little crazy.

I'm only going off of what I've been able to scrounge up from help posts here, so I don't really know what's causing this new rebooting problem. I can, however, provide this information:

• It wasn't happening until I added a fifth Mini to my home network
    • I moved two Mini Voxs to Ethernet, thinking it might alleviate stress on my MoCa network. The A92 Mini and two other Mini Voxs are all on MoCa. The Roamio is in MoCa+Ethernet (Bridge) Mode.
    • The Signal Strength on all my tuners is at an unmoving 100%
    • My SNR on all my tuners is at a steady 40dB (QAM 256), occasionally reaching 41dB for a brief moment
    • My OOB SNR seems to fluctuate between 33-38 dB—it fluctuates every few seconds
    I have just learned today that maybe the problem is that my signal strength is too high, of all things. Could having signal strengths like these be causing my Roamio to crash and reboot? If so, how can I get these numbers lower? If not, then what might be causing this sudden strain of reboots, and how might I go about fixing it?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While it's true that your signal % should not be 100%, that isn't a normal cause for random restarts. What is your MBT? There are attenuators on Amazon that can drop your signal to 90%. A splitter will also drop the signal if you have some. My OOB SNR varies also, but not that much.

You have a complicated system. Finding the problems may not be easy. Start with getting the known problems fixed. BTW, how are your RS Corrected/Uncorrected errors? Other thread : Roamio Pro randomly rebooting after adding another Mini to my network

Maybe your cable company could check your signal levels? Just a thought.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  3. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    My Roamio Plus does random reboots, but only occasionally, maybe once or twice a week. I have a MoCA network with the Roamio, a Premiere 2-tuner connected through an Actiontec MoCA adapter, and two Minis. Reboots when I'm watching are preceded by the screen freezing for a couple of seconds.

I seriously doubt that this is related to signal strength in any way. My reboots started after 20.7.4.RC42 was unleashed.

My MBT is 40C. My tuners all say 100% with SNR at 43dB-44dB. OOB SNR is 35-40dB. There is nothing wrong with having 100% signal strength unless you get pixellation or other reception problems. I occasionally see reception problems on OWN, including severely lower speaker volume, but nothing repeatable on other channels. As for SNR, the higher the better, but anything above 36dB is probably sufficient.

4. chompythebeast

Jul 5, 2018
    My internal temperate seems to be sitting right at 43C, which I gather is normal.

As for my RS Corrected/Uncorrected numbers, things seem a bit different. I'll just list off what I'm seeing in the diagnostics screen for each tuner:

Tuner 0: Uncorrected 0 / Corrected 353
    Tuner 1: 16 / 2710
    Tuner 2: 0 / 1085
    Tuner 3: 7 / 2728
    Tuner 4: 8 / 1844
    Tuner 5: 8 / 2770

Obviously there are some uncorrected errors there. I'm not sure how many are too many, or what that information really tells me, to be honest. What does it say to you?

5. chompythebeast

Jul 5, 2018

Advertisements

Yeah, that's how it tends to look for me as well when I'm around to notice it.

Hmmm, I don't think I have any problems with poor image quality or undo pixelation. Sometimes it'll take my Minis a full second or three to switch to a new HD channel, which seems kinda long and always makes me nervous... But once it comes through the image seems fine

6. chompythebeast

Jul 5, 2018
    I just logged into my Gateway to take a look at my connection to my ISP, and all the Upstream/Downstream numbers seem to be within healthy ranges, if I'm understanding the information correctly. My Uptime is also at about 4 days whereas I had TiVo crashes last night, so I guess it's not that my net is altogether cutting out, either

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Nothing abnormal. If a Plus is happy with 100%, then don't fix what isn't broken. I'm at a loss to find a path forward.

Just speculating: System Information shows your Service Connection times. Might there be a relationship to your restarts? And there is my old cleanup process: CPI&TDL.

Err, why is your modem at 4 days? Could it also be getting something from your cable it can't handle? My usual process is to power cycle everything on the last day of the month. My modem has been running for 21 days. So has one of my Roamio units. Two other were made to restart. One was because of a new hard drive. One was a freeze that, after five minutes, I cleared with a HDUI reset.

BTW, after a restart a TiVo will make a Service Connection within 30 minutes.

8. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I've had several network outages recently, but none have resulted in a TiVo crash, so I doubt there is any connection.

9. chompythebeast

Jul 5, 2018
    I can't say for certain since I was away last week, but it may have been someone in the house tried resetting the Gateway manually. I guess I'll ask later/keep an eye on my Gateway's connection.

In other news, I just tried restarting my Roamio manually, and after it came back up, I tried rather quickly to go to System Information. I pressed the button, and though the Picture-in-Picture of the Live TV continued to play, the System Info screen wouldn't load. After about 6 seconds I hit OK again, and the Roamio just crashed and rebooted.

Could this be indicative of a hardware failure? I'm getting the feeling the Roamio is getting "overtaxed" somehow and just failing. It doesn't seem like it has anything to do with my incoming signal—it's almost like it just can't handle some sort of load being put on it. The fact that it started happening when I added new Minis makes me suspicious, but I've already tried disconnecting one or two Minis for a while, and the crashes continue even with fewer boxes connected.

Damn, as I'm typing this, it just crashed again. That's two in about 15 minutes. I had it running a TiVo Service Test... I waited a few minutes for it to reboot and see what it said: It looks like it was "Successful". In the recent past, simply running the test hasn't been enough to force a crash—I considered, but couldn't establish a link between the crashes and the service connections (it crashes more often than it attempts to connect). I'm not sure even now whether there was any connection between the crash and the connection.

I don't know. It just seems too coincidental for hardware to fail at pretty much the same time I add new devices, but I'm running out of leads to follow. At this point I'm kinda hoping the Hard Drive is the issue, since that's a problem I can actually make go away without just buying a whole new Bolt or spending the next two weeks of my life bashing my head against the wall over this. My family is starting to get fed up with the failures, and now I can't even seem to undo what I've done and return to life pre-fifth Mini, since (as I said) the crashes just keep coming even with it disconnected.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I spent today taking my OTA to 3TB. Now I'm just reloading the drive. Ok, if it's overloaded, stop the loads. Turn off the Mini units overnight.

TiVo Service Test? There is a Service Connection, which runs every 26 hours or so. There is the Internet Connection diagnostic which is the same but no guide data. If you crash when making internet access, there are several threads on that. Easy test: pull the plug on your modem/router. But that may not be possible with your configuration.

Hit Slow ">" to kill the video window.

11. chompythebeast

Jul 5, 2018
    I just pulled the plug on my Gateway, waited 30 seconds, and popped it back in. The TiVo does not appear to have noticed, it continued to work uninterrupted. Does that mean the problem is unlikely to be associated with connecting to the internet? Are there any other stress tests I could subject this Roamio to in hopes of smoking out the source of the crashes?

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry, 30 seconds is not a test. Try for several hours or even overnight. The longer the better.

Have you tried to access it from TiVo Online?

13. oscarfish

oscarfish Active Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Maybe you already tried this. What happens if you turn off the fifth Mini?

14. chompythebeast

Jul 5, 2018
    I guess I don't understand how disabling my internet for a day should tell me anything about the TiVo if just cutting it off temporarily and reconnecting it doesn't trigger anything. One might think merely messing with the net would be enough to cause a crash if those two things were indeed related. What am I expecting to happen/looking for while the net is down? To see if the crashes stop happening when the TiVo doesn't have any internet access? I presume there would be a solution to that problem which allowed me to reconnect the TiVo to the internet if indeed that turned out to be the case?

I have used the TiVo Streaming app on my phone many times and it works just fine, I just tried it again.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  15. chompythebeast

Jul 5, 2018
    I have tried this, and alas, I've still gotten crashes even when I disconnect one or two Minis.

One of the hard parts about diagnosing this problem is the amount of time all the tests take. Gotta unplug only one thing at a time for science's sake, and the crashes usually only happen once or twice a day, so I have to wait some 24 hours between tests to actually gather any data as to whether they might have helped or not. I've been in this process for about a week now and I still can't see the light at the end of the tunnel :/

16. JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Would putting the Roamio on its own "mini-router" isolate it from some other possibly misbehaving network device?

17. chompythebeast

Jul 5, 2018
    What do you have in mind, exactly?

18. JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Just wondering whether another device on your network might be "reaching out" to enumerate the Roamio and causing it to reboot, coincidental to the mini having been added. Or the network itself is doing some sort of check. A long shot, absolutely, but...

19. chompythebeast

Jul 5, 2018
    Hmmm, I guess anything is kinda possible at this point. However, I don't see how I'd put the Roamio on its own access point, since I don't have an ethernet port nearby (the bridge mode is just there to provide ethernet to a switch that feeds my PS4, blu ray player, etc)

20. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    My Roamio PLus is rebooting more than usual lately too although not as much as the OP. 3 reboots in the past week that I know of. I'm used the to the rare once every 6 months reboot but 3rd time in past week starts to get annoying. I did just go back to a full cable tv package about a week ago after just having 4 networks and HBO for over a year on the Tivo.

Hopefully it's not an indication of an upcoming part failure. I checked all the connections and made sure they are all good. I guess there isn't anything to do but monitor it for the time being.

I also skimmed the logs right after but I didnt' glean much from it. The times were all off. The only message in the logs that looked like anything was "detected unplug event from unknown device." But not sure if that was where it rebooted or not.