Roamio Pro Internal Power Supply

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Finalrinse, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Finalrinse

Finalrinse Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan

Advertisements

Just wondering, how robust is the internal power supply on the 6-tuner Roamio Pro. My unit is still going strong since 2014, so 7 years! For maintenance reasons I've replaced the HD and Fan. I'm wondering if I should pick up a spare internal power supply before they are gone or hard to get? The price has been going up and up. Weeknees seems to be one of the only ones that have them, but who knows for how long, and, they are charging a $100. core charge if you don't return the old one. If no one has ever had an issue maybe not to worry?

2. DougJohnson

DougJohnson Member

Dec 11, 2006
    The power supply in my 6 tuner Roamio went paws up in September after 6 1/2 years. I bought a non-lifetime Roamio off eBay for $47 for the power supply and replaced the one in my lifetime Roamio. I haven't heard of a general power supply problem with Roamios like there was with Series 3.
    -- Doug

3. Finalrinse

Finalrinse Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks Doug, appreciate the info.

4. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Active Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    I bought a used Roamio Plus that soon developed a power supply problem. The replacement PS has worked fine for about 5 years. By the way, the failing power supply still worked in all ways except replay "skipped" forward periodically.

5. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014

Advertisements

The usual point of failure on power supply boards for most electronics is one or more capacitors. Sometimes the failure is obvious with a swollen cap or one that pops a hole in the top with "fur" sticking out. In that case recapping is an easy and inexpensive job if you know how to solder.

6. Finalrinse

Finalrinse Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    That's assuring, I can solder for sure. I built many Heath projects including TV's and amplifiers.

7. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    The 3 caps in this photo (not a TiVo) are bad - all bulged at the top with the 'fur' coming out of one. The X scored into the tops of the caps are there precisely for the reason shown. It keeps the cap from exploding and making a real mess. A cap can still be bad without bulging but if you see this in a power supply you know for sure. The old ReplayTV's had this problem with one particular cap and I still have a bag of them. When this happens it's a good idea to replace it with the same value but with a higher working voltage. If it's labeled 2500uf 16wvdc replace it with a 2500uf 20 or 35wvdc if it'll fit.

[​IMG]

8. Finalrinse

Finalrinse Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks!