Roamio Pro HDMI output disappearing

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dougdingle, Feb 25, 2017.

1. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast

Advertisements

Happened twice in the last week. I'll turn on the entertainment system, and there's nothing coming down the HDMI cable from the Roamio - no video, no audio. Box seems to work otherwise - Minis are connected and running, and the front panel responds to remote button pushes.

Rebooting brings video/audio back.

Since I can't see any output, I just have to pull the power cord, but it just occurred to me that next time I'll try pressing the "Resolution" button on the back, see if that's relevant.

Anyone else, or is my hardware failing?

njweb likes this.
  2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Consider turning your equipment on in a different order?

I had a Bolt install a couple weeks ago that if I didn't turn the TV on first, I wouldn't get a valid HDCP 'handshake' and would need to take measures to get Audio/Video. Switching inputs on the Receiver would usually correct it.

-KP

3. ronhoo

ronhoo New Member

May 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Doug

Before trying to reboot, try just removing/reinserting the HDMI cable to see if that brings the A/V back. If not convenient, just try cycling the inputs on the TV and/or AV receiver if you have one.

You indicated entertainment center, are you going through an AV receiver?
    If so you may have to determine if the connection is stopped between the Bolt and the AVR or the AVR and the Bolt. If you do have an AVR and you are rebooting the Bolt, the issue maybe between the Bolt and AVR

I'd also check for firmware update for any devices in the chain. What's your setup?

4. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    When this happened, I've fed the Roamio HDMI directly to the TV with a fresh cable, bypassing the AVR.

It's definitely the HDMI output of the Roamio just not being there. I've eliminated the cable, AVR, and TV as possibilities.

Rebooting the Roamio by cycling its power without doing anything else solves the problem immediately.

5. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Advertisements

Are you putting the TiVo in Standby?

Ronhoo's suggesting is effectively the same as I was pointing out that switching inputs on the AVR would solve the issue I had.

Either try pulling/replacing HDMI cable or switching inputs on the TV.

Not that that's a good long-term solution...it just might get you down the path of figuring out what's going on.

-KP

6. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Never put the TiVo in standby. HDMI cable has been replaced, different inputs on TV tried.

It is without question something inside the TiVo. There have been a few weird updates from TiVo lately that have introduced strange bugs, and I was thinking it may be that when I posted.

But since no one else seems to be seeing the issue, at the moment I think it's a hardware problem here.

Next time it happens, I'm going to try the Resolution button in the back, and also the component outputs to see if those are working.

7. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I wasn't clear..sorry!

I wasn't saying to replace the cable or use a different TV input.

I was suggesting that when the problem occurs, unplug/replug the HDMI cable to see if the picture would return. Or, similarly, switch the TV input to a different input and switch back to see if that might not fix it.

-KP

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This just happened on my Roamio Pro. I'd initiated playback of a video and the screen just went blank. Reboot fixed it.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
  10. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I had tried both those in case it was an HDMI handshake issue or some other weirdness of that sort.

I've had those on occasion on other devices, and the screen never goes blank/black, you get this obnoxious HDMI error message on the screen.

When it happens once, it's maybe some digital glitch. Twice in a week, and there's something going on. Rebooting the box in the evening before sitting down to watch TV is not on my list of fun activities. :(

11. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    OK, more info.

Happened again this morning. Instead of rebooting, I started pressing the RESOLUTION button on the back, waiting about 5 seconds between presses to let things resync and stabilize.

After a few presses, the screen sprang to life in 480i mode. Not ideal, but I could then go to the video settings to see what was what. Of the various formats offered, only 480i was checked.

So I ran through the 'test all resolutions' scenario, and all the available resolutions displayed. When the test ended, all the resolutions were checked, and when I went back to live TV, it was at 1080i, which is what that channel was sending. Everything was back to 'normal'.

I'm beginning to suspect that the problem is in software, and that it is triggered when the Roamio calls in.

12. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    See my post #11, and if happens again, try that before rebooting.

I wish I had tried the 'up-arrow' on the remote before I tried the RESOLUTION button to see if I could force the 480i from the remote instead of having to go behind the cabinet.

krkaufman likes this.
  13. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I'm expecting you'll get another chance...

krkaufman likes this.
  14. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Yes, more than likely.

I forced a connect to 'mom', and when it was all done, I still had video and audio output, so it seems it's not about calling home. Maybe.

15. ronhoo

ronhoo New Member

May 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Hi Doug

What AVR do you have? Does power cycle of the AVR bring back the display?

16. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I have the Yamaha TSR-7810, but it's not relevant. When the HDMI output dies, it goes just as dead when the TiVo is connected directly to my LG TV or a small 24" Samsung I have.

17. njweb

njweb Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Same issue here. My 5 year old Roamio has done this forever.
    It is an issue with the TiVo software /hardware issue with certain (Roamio) models.
    I ruled out HDMI cables as the cause (Zesnet 4K cables and other quality HDMI cables which ALL work fine with ALL my other devices and same AVR).
    Also plugged other devices into the same HDMI port on my AVR as the Roamio and those devices all work fine at the times during which the Tivo Roamio has this blank display issue...
    I also tried unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in, turning AVR and TV off and back on etc....

So it is definitely something on Tivo's end with their HDMI hardware and / or software

TiVo Minis work fine during the same time the Roamio exhibits the blank screen and the Roamio even continues to record during this time.
    I am going to turn Roamio power saving off again and see if that helps... Tried that years ago when I got the Roamio and it may have helped, but I was trying to increase the HDD lifespan by keeping Roamio power saving enabled...

Frustrating that TiVo does not fix this known issue.
    It's like the 'clear guide data... soft bricking bug with TE3.

I hate unplugging it each time since the hard drive is actively running...

18. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I still have the same Roamio, but haven't had the blank screen issue at all for a few years now. I had put it down to an aberrant software update from TiVo that was eventually cleared up.

As for unplugging, I've never had an issue. The TiVo OS is quite robust (based on Linux, I think) and recovers well for me. I have two 4TB drives I use in there, cloning them back and forth in a cloning dock every 60-90 days and swapping in the other drive. Been doing that for 3 or 4 years now. I power down with everything running several times a year to do that, and haven't seen any issues with doing that, ever.

Also still on TE3. Frankly, with the proliferation of streaming services and content sending FAR superior quality images than Spectrum Cable, this will be my last TiVo after twenty years or more. I always cringe a little when returning to the TiVo's 1080i or 720p in MPG2 after watching something in UHD with DolbyVision and Dolby Atmos sound on my AppleTV4K or NVIDIA Shield Pro. Or even the Amazon Firestick4K, which is pretty crappy but still better and more responsive than the streaming capability of the Roamio.

njweb likes this.
  19. njweb

njweb Member

Aug 23, 2015

Thanks for the update! Glad you got it resolved eventually. Maybe they had a software update for Roamio Pro which fixed it for you, but not for the Roamio (just a guess as to one potential reason).

I have never had an issue with the unplugging either, so far at least (typically once every 10 days or so for the past 5 years).
    Just not thrilled about shutting power off to a HDD this way though (i.e. by unplugging the power supply) while it is (potentially) actively writing data.

I recently upgraded it to an 8TB HDD (was on a 3TB for the prior 5 years - switched from 500GB to 3TB as soon as I received the Roamio).

I did not upgrade to TE4 due to reasons I read a little over a month ago - either it was due to fact that TE4 would not allow me to upgrade the HDD (was not compatible with the process I was using to upgrade from 3TB to 8TB) or some other issue with TE4.
    Now that I am done with the upgrade to 8TB, let me explore whether to stay on TE3 or migrate to TE4.

20. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    The only difference AFAIK between the Roamio and Pro version was the size of the hard drive at the time of sale. Once you put that 3TB drive in, your Roamio became a Pro. ;)

njweb likes this.