Roamio Pro HD into Roamio OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Lancep50, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Lancep50

Lancep50 New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I picked up a Roamio Pro with a WD30EURS Hard Drive. I want to put the drive in my Roamio OTA. What prep or format work needs to be done?

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    You might want to do a clear and delete while still in the Pro, but it will likely reformat the drive when installed in the OTA.

PCurry57 and Mikeguy like this.
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Need to do C&DE on the OTA.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you can connect the drive to a PC, it would probably be worthwhile, and sufficient, to do a quick erase of the boot record. Western Digital’s Lifeguard disk utility can be used for the reset. A ‘DISKPART’ “clean” might also do the trick.

Once the drive’s been reset in this way, it’ll be seen as new and will be formatted by the OTA on boot-up — eliminating the need for the C&DE (though what’s the harm).

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Won't the Roamio OTA automatically do whatever needs to be done to any new drive put into the box?

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    My recollection is that dropping in a drive fresh from another TiVo can be a problem, in that the box may not automatically trigger a reformat and reinstall. What I don’t recall is if a C&DE would resolve it, or if the WD utility route is preferred (by me) because it’s quicker.

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. Lancep50

Lancep50 New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Thanks for all the feedback! Over the weekend I will try to just plug-in and if that doesn’t work, I will use the WD Utility and report back.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you just drop the drive in to the OTA, straight from the Pro, then do the C&DE on the OTA as soon as it’s booted and the UI responsive. Do not pass Go, etc. The system may seem operative, but the OS needs to be reset for the new hardware and DRM.

^^^ this ^^^

9. Lancep50

Lancep50 New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Hard Drive install completed successfully! Shows 477 HD Hours. First plugged the Pro HD directly but gave a grey screen after bootup. Removed and did a Quick Erase with WD Lifeguard and tried again with success.

All the help on this site is awesome! Before I started the process, I made a copy of the Season Passes using kmttg. Then loaded it again after the upgade. Everything is back as it was previously.

Thanks again for all the help!

kpeters59 and krkaufman like this.
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well done.