roamio pro hard drive or teardown

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ejonesss, Feb 10, 2016.

1. ejonesss

ejonesss New Member

Aug 13, 2007

Advertisements

i just ordered a tivo roamio pro with lifetime service i know it has a 3tb hard drive but i was wondering does it use seagate and/or does anyone have any teardowns of the roamio pro with 3tb hard drive.

i am asking because i just had a 3tb seagate go flex external fail where the heads broke and scratched up the platters and i lost all the data.

the exact model number of the failed drive is st3000dm001 it seems as these drives was made around the same time period when the asian hard drive factories suffered flooding and seagate turned to some other factory that made lesser quality drives.

it is going to be a week before i get the box and would like to know now before i get the package so i can maybe replace the drive with one of another maker

2. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    They use WD, or I should say, they have in the recent past.

But bottom line, I have lost an equal amount of both in DVRs over the past 10 years.

3. mickinct

mickinct Member

Sep 14, 2015
    NUTMEG STATE
    WD Green WD30EZRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB these are what I use in a couple of my otas very quiet and run very cool.The other one uses seagate 2 tb pipeline, made to run 24/7.

4. ejonesss

ejonesss New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    update: i just got my roamio connected yesterday and before i did i opened it up (yes it may have voided the warranty (fortunately no tamper stickers or glues used so they would be none the wiser)) and yes it is western digital tb hard drive WHEW!!!! i was afraid it was going to be seagate due to that a teardown on youtube showed a 500 gig seagate (maybe barracuda) i assumed the worse it was going to be a st3000dm001 witch is known to fail due to shoddy manufacture due to changing factories in the wake of the asian factory flood.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY

Advertisements

I ran the stock 500Gb Seagate hard drive (ST 3500414CS) in my base Roamio for 2 full years without issue. Each manufacture has had certain models with higher than average failure rates over the years, and each will likely have future models with higher than normal failure rates again. Given that the public doesn't have actual data on any models actual failure rate, (not to mention that even if we did, it would likely be after the model had been replaced) I would not get to concerned one way or the other. That's why we have warranties.