Roamio Pro Hard Drive Blues

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Mnewell, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Mnewell

Mnewell New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Portland, OR

Advertisements

Hi All...

I have a Roamio Pro that I bought in 2014. Recently it appeared that the hard drive was failing, so I decided to replace it with a WD Blue 6TB after reading that the Roamio Pro will format a new drive from code in Eprom memory on the motherboard. Easy peasy, right?

Well I replaced the old drive with this new one and the Roamio boots up to the "Welcome! Starting up..." screen and just hangs there. Any ideas that could get me up and running?

Could this possibly be a power supply issue? The power supply is internal on the Pro. Replaceable?

Thanks for any ideas you might toss my way.

Mark Newell

2. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Active Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Could be PS but check the specs on that Blue drive, maybe the drive pulls too much power at the wrong time? Red drives were the ticket in the past but WD started selling shingled drives (without telling anyone). The shingled tracks overlap such that re-writing an area can require a massive amount of writing to get it right. Shingled drives are basically unsuitable for NAS, DVR, and surveillance applications, IMO. I think the red EFRX and purple drives should be OK. I think the mid-size red EFAX are shingled.

Look here:

krkaufman likes this.
  3. Mnewell

Mnewell New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Thanks Scott. Great information. I now have a WD red 6TB drive on the way. In the event it turns out to be a power supply issue too, is that easily replaced? Does anyone have experience doing that?

4. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Active Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Roamio lPus and Pro PS replacement very easy

5. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014

Advertisements

Replacing the power supply board is easy but before spending $80+ doing that take a look at the board's electrolytic capacitors to see if any are bulging or have a little hole in the top that let the magic smoke leak out. That's almost always the problem with power supplies and very easy to replace for about $2 even if you've never soldered before. The caps are circled in red in the photo below. If you post clear pictures of yours as shown below plus from the side showing the top of the big cap lying on its side it'll be easy to tell.
    InkedInkedInkedroamio+powerSupply_LI.jpg