1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Pro going on 5 years old

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Finalrinse, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Finalrinse

Finalrinse Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    Hello, I have a Roamio Pro 3TB stock unit that is going on 5 years old. I would like to keep it going and running like new for more years to come. I'm very handy at building computers and such so I have no problem replacing and modifying these devices (I have modified my other TiVo's in the past). I take the cover off once a year and clean the inside, and fan, of dust. I'm wondering if it's time to do some maintenance like replace the fan and hard drive (I don't mind losing old recordings etc...) with new ones, or, just wait until something breaks! I don't mind spending money on it, I want to keep it running like new.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If the MBT is about 40C, the system has an average temperature. If you let TiVo kill off your deleted programs the hard drive will get used in a random fashion and not spend all its time on limited locations. Otherwise, why mess with something that's not broken?

My drive management: I delete programs after watching. I check the Deleted Recordings folder every week. When I see the oldest get killed, I delete that whole month. I installed a 3TB drive 18 months ago and it's still never become physically full. My 1TB gets a cleaning about every three months.

3. Finalrinse

Finalrinse Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    It's getting to be winter here in Michigan with inside temps around 69~71f. My Pro MBT right now is 42c. Once a month I use kmttg v2.4j to keep my drives on both TiVo's clean, permanently deleting deleted shows.
    I guess I just like messing with this stuff. I bought an Xbox One X last week and already replaced the hard drive with a Samsung EVO 860 SSD. I guess SSD's are not the way to go for TiVo's, but that's another story.
    Thanks for your reply.

4. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    Joe can you go into a little detail on these:

My Roamio Plus/Pro is running between 40-44 MBT, I have purchased a: AC Infinity MULTIFAN S4, Quiet 140mm USB Fan for Receiver DVR
    I just placed it on top of the DVR on LOW setting, and it brought it down the MBT down a little.... Do you think I should get the DVR lifted a little and get the fan under the DVR... Or is my MBT at a good temp. as it is now.

Now.... as for deleting DELETED recordings..... I have done this before
    Tivo> My Shows> Recently Deleted Recordings> Select a recording> Press Clear> Permanently delete.
    ONE AT A TIME!!!
    Is there a way to delete all as I currently have 378 "Recently Deleted Recordings" and no way am I doing this one at a time.

Thank You

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Definition: kill = permanently delete.

I only save (deleted) my late night recordings. I kill my prime time recordings & movies after watching. When I see my TiVo killing them without my help, I kill the month. That's my only maintenance with regard to recordings. At this time a 1TB recording has 163 deleted and will soon need to have a month killed off. On that unit My Shows is 0% right now. For contrast a 3TB unit has 193 deleted recordings (all Jimmy Kimmel Live) and My Shows is 62% full. I have never filled that unit. Oldest deleted program is 10/1/17.

The simplest way to do the most cooling is with a 80mm to 140mm USB powered fan on low (if possible) located on the left side of the TiVo. I lean the larger fan onto the TiVo, and block the front with a piece of greeting card cardboard painting flat black. In general, it looks like this:

A picture to help.
    Fan on Side.JPG

This 3TB unit is at the 5' level in a very warm room. Before the mod, it had MBT at 43C. After fan it is 34C. Usually the fan is behind a flat black piece of card stock. Noise is inaudible, but the room is rarely used.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    skypros likes this.
  6. bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Cleaning is a good idea. Personally I wouldn't do anything with the hard drive until if fails. Especially since you're not bothered about losing old recordings.

I would recommend putting the Tivo on an UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to avoid power surges if the electricity goes off and on rapidly. This is even more important if you live in an area where thunderstorms are common like Florida for example.