Roamio Pro failed recordings Account Closed Power Lost

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by markis, Aug 14, 2017.

1. markis

markis Member

Mar 1, 2005
    I picked up a "Tivo renewed" (refurbished) Roamio Pro during the recent summer sale. It's still on version 20.7.1.RC2 and has been working ok for a month or so, then yesterday failed on multiple One Pass Recordings. Looking at History, the failed recordings say either "Power Lost" or "Account Closed".

(We also have an older Roamio Plus, which has none of these errors and is still recording without major issues lately.)

After a manual restart yesterday, the rest of yesterday's recordings worked as scheduled. Today, we turned on the machine to find more failed recordings with the same errors in History.

The machine is plugged into a UPS battery backup and we didn't have any noticable outages during the times of the failed recordings. The machine has All In One Lifetime service, confirmed as active by Tivo Phone support.

Tivo Support also walked me through switching back and forth from Wired to Wireless connection and multiple Restarts followed by manual Connections to Tivo Service, but didn't really seem familiar with the issue.

A search pulled up some suggestions to disable Power Saving and to avoid putting the machine in Standby, so we'll try that and see if it makes any difference.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a working solution to avoid failed recordings with "Account Closed" or "Power Lost" messages?

Is there any chance swapping in a new Cablecard could make a difference with this kind of issue? All tuners currently show Signal Strength: 99% and SNR: 39dB. Any other suggestions to fix this?

I begin to wonder if this failed recording issue is the reason this machine needed to be "Tivo renewed" and re-sold.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Dumb question -- you did sign up for the service yourself, and aren't just using whatever service it had, right?

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I would go into the Help menu, Account and System Info, then System Information and see what it reads for TiVo Service Account Status. Should be product Lifetime Service. If not you have a problem and need to call TiVo to fix it.

4. markis

markis Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. Well, after two days of problems, today on the third day, all the scheduled recordings were successful. For the first show, I sat and watched the machine to see if it would start recording or if there would be some other obvious visible glitch or errors, but the recording started without incident.

So, it seems some combination of switching from a Wired to Wireless Network Connection and back, followed by multiple manual connections to Tivo Service and manual Restarts, plus leaving the Tivo on, rather than putting it in Standby has fixed things (for one day at least). I will keep track of it for the next few days, then I may try putting it in Standby Mode again next week to see if the recordings fail again (to confirm or eliminate that as a possible cause of failure).

I still don't understand why these repeated recording failures would start happening all of a sudden for consecutive days after working fine for over a month.

I purchased direct from Tivo with service pre-activated before it arrived, but I also confirmed it was activated when I set it up last month. This is my fourth currently active machine on my account that has been active and in good standing for years. I also confirmed this with Tivo Support two days in a row before making my post here.

Yes, it has never not showed Product Lifetime Service on the System Information page, since I first set it up last month and throughout the recent troubleshooting. As I mentioned, the first thing I did was call Tivo support and work through troubleshooting with them for two days. According to Tivo support, the account and machine have not changed status and have always been showing as active Lifetime Service in their system.

I only posted here for more input as I found some earlier discussions of other people with random, erroneous "Account Closed" messages on failed recordings. I was wondering if anyone with the same problem might have additional suggestions on a fix, besides the standard manual Restarts and Connections to Tivo Service.

I have another Roamio (Plus) unit that I've had running for two or three year years without seeing this kind of issue and I can put that one in Standby without a problem.

tim1724 and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  5. Dago Red

Dago Red Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    I have a Roamio Pro that has been in service for almost two years and I have seen both of these issues. First I had the "Account Closed" message for failed recordings and had to go in and perform a manual connection to get the status reset. Since then I have noticed twice where Tivo has missed recordings with the "Power Lost" message when there is no way it had lost power.

I have never had this issue on my older Roamio Plus, and though I always put both units in Standby, I only use Power Saving Mode on the Pro. I can't say whether or not that is what causes this issue.

markis likes this.
  6. markis

markis Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Good to hear from someone with similar issues. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Interesting that you have also only seen this on the Pro and not Plus.

The first day I had the issue, I only did a manual restart (which seemed to do an automatic Tivo Service connection during the process). It worked for the rest of the day, but the next day I missed more recordings. Maybe the extra manual Tivo Service connection was the step I missed.

Today's Day 4 report: We've been keeping the machine on and recordings have been working fine, but I decided to try putting it in Standby and watch what happened on a recording today. Happy to say that it also recorded from Standby this time. I only put it into Standby 5 minutes before the start of the recording, so I'll need to try it over a few days to see if it misses anything when in Standby for longer periods.

7. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    My Roamio recorded nothing all day. I sat down tonight to watch, well, apparently nothing. This is the second time my Roamio Pro has had an "Account Closed" event this summer! I'm getting a bit beyond peeved! Unlike last time, doing a daily call and a reboot did NOT resolve my issue. I have no idea how long this will persist. I guess I'll call Tivo tomorrow. How I miss the days when I used to call my Tivo "almost bulletproof". There may be a Comcast X1 in my future if this continues.

8. markis

markis Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Sorry to hear you're having similar issues. After all the steps I mentioned, our machine has been recording normally for the past 3-4 days (after missing shows 2 day in a row, even after a restart.)

The only additional steps that I took were switching from wired to wireless and back with restarts and manual Tivo Service connections each time. That combined total of 3 or 4 restart cycles and manual connections seems to have worked for us.

On the phone with Tivo Support, the next step they recommended was a hard power down, pulling all the connections (power, network, video and cable) and wait for 5-10 minutes (or more?) before plugging everything back in and powering up, then doing another manual Tivo Service connection. They further recommended restarting my broadband modem and router. I did none of those things, since the problem was fixed before I got to those steps.

I also feel let down by Tivo more and more lately and I'm not happy about missed recordings due to unknown gltiches. Don't get me started on the fact that this Roamio Pro was only purchased because of the complete failure of Tivo to fix the Premiere TBA "No Guide" problem for 7-8 months and counting...

9. wtkflhn

wtkflhn Member

May 12, 2006
    Metairie, La
    I have a Roamio Pro and a OTA. On 2 different occasions they have each failed to start recording until the machine is powered on. As soon as that happens, it starts recording the scheduled programs, As I say, each machine has only done this once. I have no idea why this happens.

10. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    They told me when I called on Thursday that this is a known issue with no current resolution. They recorded my TSN for tracking purposes. I have no idea if they're really looking into it.

11. OhFiddle

OhFiddle Active Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Chicago Burbs
    I just had a problem with this again today after a long time glitch free (as far as I know). I came back here to look for my old post about it from March 2016. Today we had recorded content playing most of the day from our Roamio Plus through two different connected Minis. Everything seemed to be working fine until I noticed something didn't start recording that was scheduled to at 7pm. I look in the to do list and several shows were in there saying they were scheduled to record today between 12pm and 7pm (in the past). None of them had recorded and they were just sitting in the to-do list. Live tv failed to come up also so I went to look at the Roamio and saw no recording lights and found the screen stuck on "waking up" and totally unresponsive to the remote. I had to unplug it to reset it. When it booted back up live tv was fine and it immediately started recording the show scheduled that was in progress. In the recording history it showed the other missed recordings as "not recorded" and "power lost", which was definitely not the case because we were watching recorded content from the unit most of the day. This baffles me still. I don't know if the Tivo programming is set to erroneously use the "power lost" error if there is no signal for any reason, or what is going on?