Roamio Pro acting slow

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by igirl, May 16, 2020.

1. igirl

igirl Member

Feb 5, 2011
    NorCal
    After a move and new provider I've noticed our Pro seems to be acting a bit off - coming out of fast forward (3x) for instance - I used to be able to hit play and it would instantly play - now there is a lag - sometimes 2-3 seconds - and I noticed one last night that was about 9 seconds! It just freezes the screen and then eventually kicks in playing.

This is cause for concern since no Tivo I've ever owned in decades has ever done this - it's always been snappy and pretty much instant. I have restarted, cycled power but no difference. Just wondering if this is a warning sign of something dire? I have a Roamio Plus I can start moving season passes over on to, if this one's HDD is going bad...

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Who was the old provider and who is the new provider?

Scott

3. igirl

igirl Member

Feb 5, 2011
    NorCal
    Thanks - we were last on Spectrum in FL and now Xfinity in CA. The laggy behavior is on playback of recorded shows however - just to be clear it's not a live TV (or recording buffer) thing. With Tivo we almost never watch live TV...

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    See System Information, what version is it on? The latest, v21, can be problematic.

5. JohnBeas

JohnBeas New Member

Sep 15, 2015
    I moved a year ago and also went from Spectrum to XFinity and I have the exact same issue. When I had Spectrum almost all my channels were in 1080 but with XFinity I don't think I have any in 1080 - its mostly 720 or even 480 (ie. not even HD). I don't know the reason these strange "pauses" happen but I don't think it has anything to do with Tivo equipment problems.

6. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Is that TE4? My Roamio Plus is still TE3, 20.7.4b.RC3 (Bolt too).
    I wonder if setting the Video Resolution to 720p would help? (Instead of Auto, or 1080 anything)

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    JohnBeas likes this.
  7. igirl

igirl Member

Feb 5, 2011
    NorCal
    I don't know the exact version but I've never updated to Hydra. (hate that UI)

That's interesting! I do know my Xfinity HD resolution exceeds the Roamio Pro's resolution - but we also moved to a new Sony 75" 4K display as well which is notably better than the Vizio E70 we were using. Spectrum was HD as well...

It's not consistently lagging so we can live with it but it's 100% different from the snappy response we were seeing before. I can get the exact TE version later today if needed.

8. JohnBeas

JohnBeas New Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Good thought - I'll try it.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I'm pretty sure that I've seen others post with this issue but I don't recall if there was ever any resolution to the issue. We're on Comcast here with a Roamio Pro and TE3 and have never seen the issue.

Is this happening on any channels in particular like local networks or cable channels? The cable channels are distributed nationally so we should all be getting the same thing there, but there could be some difference with the local networks especially if you are in one of the areas where Comcast has started to convert those to MPEG4 too.

Scott

10. Durfman

Durfman Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    Our Roamio Pro has been doing this same thing recently, though we haven’t changed providers. I’m not sure what’s going on.

11. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Only thing I can think of (aside from the usual "maybe a bad hard drive?") issue would be related to the format switch - Spectrum generally uses MPEG-2@1080i for their video, but Comcast/Xfinity uses MPEG-4(generally at 720p) for their nationally programmed networks (basically every HD channel except locals and The Weather Channel). Mpeg4 is smaller in size, but creates a higher CPU load to "decode", so if you were having trouble before it may have been exacerbated.