Roamio, Premiere XL4 & Mini on same 'network'

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by superseagulls, Aug 25, 2014.

1. superseagulls

superseagulls New Member

Jul 29, 2009

Advertisements

Hi
    I Currently have a Roamio Pro with Lifetime, and a mini connected on the same network - The mini "sees" the shows on the Roamio (most of the time).
    I retired the old Premiere Elite / XL4, I am having a new house built, and could use the extra box again (obviously with subscription)....
    My question is, will the mini 'see' the shows on both Tivo boxes? Will the Roamio see the shows on the Premiere and vice-versa etc......?
    Any advice greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!!!

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Yep, active Minis, Roamios and Premieres can all stream to/from each other.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    As long as all the boxes are on your Tivo.com account and active. You can access the Premiere through the Roamio (if its the host), start a transfer to the Roamio and watch on the Mini.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You should consider setting your router's DHCP address pool to enough numbers to cover the things on your home network that leave the house occasionally, plus 2 to 5 more numbers for expansion, and then give everything else on the network fixed IP addresses that lie outside that pool.

For example, set the DHCP pool to 192.168.1.254 down to .250, and use the numbers below that for fixed addresses.

That way you avoid any chance of problems or lease expirations when your TiVos and the router negotiate addresses because all the TiVos say "This is my IP adress, deal with it".

No negotiation, no failed negotiation.

5. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...

Advertisements

1. The OP's issue probably isn't DHCP. It's just that Minis on MoCA occasionally drop off on many setups, mine included.

2. Everyone should have at least 50 DHCP addresses available, regardless of how many they need. There are around 250 available, so even 100 leaves plenty of room for static IPs. I have 28 devices attached to my router, with two I think that are on static DHCP outside the regular DHCP range, the rest on regular DHCP. My router has 98 DHCP slots available that way I have it configured now, so I shouldn't have an issue, even if people bring a bunch of foreign devices onto my network all at once, or if a few more of our own devices turn on and need DHCP leases...

To answer the OP's question, the Mini can only be paired to one host box, but it can access other boxes on the account through streaming MRV. You can't transfer a show to a Mini. Not sure about transferring to it's host box from another DVR, and then streaming to the Mini, but streaming should work fine anyways.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    And you can quickly change the host box in a few seconds if you want. I have three Minis, a Roamio Pro, a Roamio Basic, and a two tuner Premiere on the same network. I can quickly chnage my Mini host from my Roamio Pro to my OTA Roamio Basic if I want, or just stream any of the content from it or the Premiere or the Roamio Pro.

7. superseagulls

superseagulls New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks for the information all!

Not sure I fully understand the implications of messing around with DHCP etc, I will have to have a dabble and see what I can manage! Any good info sites for getting a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 to play nice with all this stuff on a more regular basis ;-)

Thanks again!

8. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    You shouldn't need to touch the default DHCP settings. I messed with mine for port forwarding to PCs. Nothing to do with TiVo. DHCP is something that you know if you need to mess with it, and if you don't know that you need to mess with it, you don't need to mess with it.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Whatever for? So the neighbors and people driving by can use your internet connection via wi-fi for free?

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    How? How will the neighbors access the WiFi unless it is left open?

For me I have over 65 devices on my network. So I like to put certain devices in certain IP ranges for the devices I use DHCP reservation. Like my thirteen IP capers, they all use up a block of 13 IP addresses which makes it easier for me. As well as the ports I need to have open for them.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    How many of those 65 ever leave the house and log onto other networks and then come back home and need the house network again?

Because with 254 addresses available, even if you've got 10 of them assigned to routers and things like that, you've still got enough numbers left over for everything to get a unique one without having to use DHCP so that they can "time share".

And what in the world is an "IP caper"? Google just directs me to small fish and bank heist movies.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Auto correct from my tablet. It should be camera. I only have few devices that go to other locations. I don't use dhcp reservation with those.

13. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Go home, AutoCorrect, you're drunk. :D

14. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    So they don't run out down the road when adding devices. That's what security is for. A small DHCP address pool provides no security in an of itself.

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    For things that don't leave the house, what possible benefit does DHCP offer that fixed IP addresses do not?

What does one gain from having a DHCP pool containing many more addresses than will ever be needed?

Assuming one is only operating one LAN at one's residence.

16. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Devices shouldn't have static IPs unless they need ports forwarded. Otherwise it's just a maintenance nightmare.

Even straight up static IPs are hard to manage... I've used static DHCP for years for the couple of devices that need ports forwarded...

17. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I use static IP and the benefit is when downloading from Tivo, and it suddenly reboots, the download proceeds as if nothing happens after its back up.