Roamio Plus To Do List Timeouts spinning blue circle

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by markis, Oct 31, 2015.

1. markis

markis Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Anyone else seeing this today? I noticed it a couple hours ago. I went to try and change the record settings on a show and just got the spinning blue circle for a while, then it sent me back to the To Do List. The same thing is happening with Explore this show and View upcoming episodes. Selecting a recorded show also takes a longer time than usual and shows the spinning circle, but at least it seems to work eventually.

Is this a network issue or server issue on Tivo's end or due to a recent update? Is anyone else having issues like this today? I'm not seeing any issues with non-Tivo internet connectivity.

I'm going to try a restart and see if that clears it up.

I found an old discussion that describes some similar issues to what I'm seeing today:

Month-old Roamio Pro Hanging with spinning circle

2. ddalessandro85

ddalessandro85 New Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Same problem over here with my Roamio OTA. I have reason to believe it's TiVo because I checked cables, rebooted my modem, router, & TiVo and it's still doing it. I tried connecting to the TiVo Service but it says 'Failed while negotiating.'

3. eisena

eisena New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Same problem with Roamio Pro.

4. Rey

Rey Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Florida
    Same here. It's not on my end so Tivo must be having an issue.

5. markis

markis Member

Mar 1, 2005
    I did a restart and there was no improvement. Now it's worse because the suggested shows along the top are trying (and failing) to load, so it's slow with a spinning blue circle on almost all the menus, even the main Tivo home menu.

Are there any Tivo insiders or anyone with a contact who can notify them if this is system wide issue?

6. apsarkis

apsarkis Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Tillson, NY
    There's got to be a problem with the Tivo servers. I tried a connection (on my Roamio Pro), and it fails with an "N17" message. I also get a C501 error on selecting "What to watch now". I did notice my minis were just upgraded to 20.5.4a (with "Quickmode"), but the Pro still has 20.5.2a.

7. heifer624

heifer624 Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Florida's...
    Same here on Roamio Plus even after restart.

8. VJDave

VJDave New Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Same problem here also on Roamio Plus. Cant connect to Tivo Service.
    Correction...Its now connecting. I guess they fixed the problem

9. abeagler

abeagler Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Same here with a Roamio basic and attached Mini

10. ddalessandro85

ddalessandro85 New Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Looks like it's working now

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Overheard in the TiVo server room:

Heh, Heh, watch me disconnect this cable and immediately generate 500+ posts on the Tivo Community forum! :D

12. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    Blue circle at every turn.
    just posted in the Help Topic. Seeing same experiences there.

13. dhoward

dhoward Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Not just Roamio. My Bolt was doing it this morning also.

14. apsarkis

apsarkis Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Tillson, NY
    After talking to support, and power-cycle (NOT just restarting) all (Roamio Pro/Mini) boxes, things seem to be resolved. Forced connections, before and after, were also suggested. Support finally admitted to a server problem at their end.

15. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    What a surprise, another stupid server issue affecting normal use of the DVR.

This crap needs to end, Tivo. Fix your damn code to immediately fallback to local-only UI ops when you can't talk to the server(s) and/or do your stupid metrics and retrievals in the background. ASAP.

This is not rocket science for anyone even half-competent at network code. There is NO EXCUSE for network or server glitches affecting basic DVR functionality when all the stuff you need is already local to the DVR (or should be). None.

16. markis

markis Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Thanks for all the replies. As ddalessandro mentioned, it looks like they fixed whatever was wrong on their end a few hours after I posted the issue.

I have to agree with slowbiscuit. It seems like they didn't even consider the possibility something could go wrong on their end when designing the current software. I hope they can add some fallback code to improve performance after repeated failed connections within a certain time period. As a long time Tivo user, I don't remember anything like this on my earlier machines.

17. Rey

Rey Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Florida
    Yep, good here to :)

18. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Amen. I tried to delete a program yesterday morning and it took a full thirty seconds of spinning blue circle crap before it did it. Same issue/time frame when I did anything else. I can't believe that a programmer would be stupid enough to actually write code that sucky or that management would tolerate it. Yet it appears both are true.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  19. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Kind of disappointing to realize that your Roamio or Bolt becomes a brick in the absence of adequate TiVo server maintenance.

20. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    The bad thing about this for me was that I had just rearranged the entertainment center in the living room and it started doing this after it came back up. I figured it had to have been something I had done since it was working perfectly before I changed everything.

Just my luck their server would screw up just when I make these changes. After working on it very late, I finally gave up and went to bed and of course it was working fine in the morning.

Frustrating! I know, first world problems. But I was really tired from moving furniture and changing carpet all day and just wanted to get this thing working before I went to bed, plus I had to be at work at 6:00 am the following morning.

[whining off}