1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Plus not connecting to Minis

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by JC1, Apr 24, 2018.

1. JC1

JC1 New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    I have a Roamio plus and two minis. I just moved and can’t seem to get the right configuration -I had them working at my previous home, but in my new home I have Spectrum with a modem and a router instead of the all in one option with Cox. I can seems to get the right set up from the wall thru modem, router, bridge, cable box, and main TiVo. I also have a POE at my cables starting point. Help?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    We need to get more information, such as how they are all connected, whether the model of devices, etc.

If your previous home, the router had built-in MoCA and present model does not.

3. JC1

JC1 New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    I have 2way splitter from the wall. One way goes to the cable box Cisco, then USB to Roamio plus. The other way has another 2way splitter. One way going to router Arris, then Ethernet to modem Sagemcom. The other way goes thru TiVo bridge and Ethernet to modem. Modem then connects to Roamio with Ethernet.
    My previous home I had a Ubee modem.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    USB to Roamio? Unless it goes to a tuning adapter for SDV.

MoCa does not go through the USB, if that is what you may be doing.

5. JC1

JC1 New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    Sorry I meant HDMI to Roamio. It the cable that came with the cable box, so I know that is correct. My TV connected to the Roamio works just fine. It's my minis that are not connecting to the internet via MoCa that I'm having problems with.

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo Bridge (AKA MoCa adapter) should be to router's LAN port.

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    It sounds like the tivo bridge is not needed inasmuch as the Plus is connected to the router via ethernet and can produce MOCA. Perhaps in the OP's previous house the Plus couldn't connect via ethernet to the router and hence he had a bridge at the router creating MOCA.

If the OOP is still around, he needs to describe is setup more accurately and thoroughly. He has misstated a few things, e.g., Cisco cable box which I assume is a TA.

krkaufman likes this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The above seems off/lacking in a few ways:
    • How is the Roamio Plus connected to the coax plant?

• The terms modem and router seem to be reversed in their use, above. What are the model numbers for the Arris and Sagemcom devices?

• Like the rest, I'm assuming the Cisco box is actually a Cisco SDV Tuning Adapter. What is the model number of this Cisco box?

• As mentioned earlier by @UCLABB, the TiVo Bridge is not required for establishing the MoCA network if the Roamio Plus can be connected to the router via Ethernet and then configured as the MoCA bridge. (Note that the Roamio Plus must not be configured for MoCA if connected via Ethernet and the TiVo Bridge remains connected.)

• Finally, the above only describes the connections in one room. Missing is how this room connects via coax to the incoming cable feed and the other rooms' coax outlets; and where, exactly, the "PoE" MoCA filter is installed.

>See this post< for a simple direct-connect test for verifying basic MoCA functionality between two devices, with the home's coax plant removed from the equation.

9. JC1

JC1 New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    1) TiVo bridge is connected thru LAN port
    2) I suspect I didn’t need the bridge with the Roamio Plus, but at the last house it didn’t work without it and the MoCa worked with it. New house neither with or without works. Previous house the TiVo was connected to the internet with Ethernet. Same as new house.
    3) a)Roamio is connected with coax thru the cable box
    b) model numbers: Arris TM1602, Sagecom Fast5260, Cisco STA1520
    c) I did the simple direct connect test and the minis worked being connected thru the Roamio
    d) the minis are connect from the wall with coax, then HDMI to the tv. The POE is in the basement where the cable comes into my house.

krkaufman likes this.
  10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Roamio Plus has built-in MoCa, but it must be set to MoCa and not Ethernet in the network settings. Otherwise, the Plus will try to connect by Ethernet and fail.

11. JC1

JC1 New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    The connection type says: MoCA Bridge (MoCA + Ethernet)

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That is MoCa bridging (Using the Plus as the MoCa host) and not client. This is used when there is no MoCa adapter at the router and instead to use the Plus as the host. For this to work, both ethernet and coax must be connected to the Plus.

There should be a MoCa setting alone, similar to Ethernet alone, to use Plus as client.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Got it; thanks!

Good info; thanks. So then this demonstrated that the Roamo Plus is functioning correctly as a MoCA bridge and the Minis as MoCA clients. Meaning... nothing is inherently wrong with the MoCA hardware or software of the TiVo boxes.

Good info, but it falls short of the details needed:
    You've described how the Minis also connect to their coax wall outlets, but still unknown (to me, at least) is how all the coax wall outlets connect to each other and the incoming cable feed, and through what connecting component(s). (e.g. splitters, an amp, ???) And where/how, exactly, is the "PoE" MoCA filter installed?

This info is needed to determine if there is some MoCA-hostile component or connection configuration blocking MoCA signals from traveling between rooms. The question marks in the following diagram highlight the current unknowns for your setup:

JC1 current-unknowns.png

You have the luxury of choosing between using the TiVo Bridge or the Roamio Plus as your main MoCA bridge, but you do need to choose ... at least to get things working; you can switch things around later, if desired.
    • TiVo Bridge :: Your setup within the one room, as-is, would work for using the TiVo Bridge as your main MoCA bridge; however, you'd need to disable MoCA on the Roamio Plus and configure the Roamio Plus strictly as an Ethernet client*.
    • Roamio Plus :: If you want to use the Roamio Plus as your MoCA bridge, how you have the DVR currently connected, via the Tuning Adapter's RF/STB Out pass-through port, is detrimental to MoCA connectivity. The TA's pass-through port severely attenuates MoCA signals. If you'd want to use the Roamio Plus as your MoCA bridge, you'd need to:
    1. Remove the TiVo Bridge from the setup;

2. Reconnect the Roamio Plus, modem and Tuning Adapter to the available splitter outputs, prioritizing the connections for best performance; I'd suggest moving the TA to where the MoCA adapter is connected in the above diagram (off the second splitter), and connecting the DVR to the first splitter's output port;

For example:
      Plus as bridge.png

3. Verify the Roamio Plus' Ethernet connection, and then configure the Roamio Plus as a MoCA bridge. (Depending on where you started, you may first need to disable MoCA on the Roamio Plus to gain access to the "configure as MoCA bridge" menu option.)
    Choosing one device or the other as your MoCA bridge, per above, is necessary to get to a working MoCA setup, but no guarantees can be made until the central connection unknowns are identified.

edit: * p.s. Note that in the scenario using the TiVo Bridge as the main MoCA bridge, the Roamio Plus *could* be configured strictly as a MoCA client, rather than Ethernet. However, the Ethernet connection would need to be removed from the Roamio Plus, and it MUST not be reconnected at any time, otherwise the resulting dual bridges would create a network loop and pretty much crash your LAN, disrupting all network activity. Also, to setup the Roamio Plus as a MoCA client would require addressing the TA/MoCA issue mentioned above, requiring another split of the coax line to provide the DVR with a direct connection to the coax, rather than via the TA's MoCA-hostile pass-through port.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh, also, if things remain stubborn, it would be good to review/report the specs (brand/model/frequencies) of the splitters you're using. See here for recommended parts should you need to upgrade. (The Holland GHS-PRO-M or Verizon's MoCA 2.0-rated splitters are the preferred options, as both are supposedly designed to have lower port isolation at MoCA frequencies. i.e. It's not just about the rated frequency printed on the splitter's label.)

15. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    I have Moca setup on Roamio PLus. Minis only plugged into the cable line. I've had this for years.

Maybe I never did this before but recently I discovered that when I unplug ethernet on the Plus then the Minis go out (as in you can't see My Shows and watching recordings.) I was surprised by this. I thought there was zero need for Ethernet in this config at least for recordings. Is this because the Plus uses the router to assign an address to the Minis or because the UI now has streaming elements (folders etc) in it or ...?

16. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That is because you are using the Roamio Plus as a MoCa host, not client. Therefore, it requires the ethernet connected.

You would need to add a Tivo Bridge (AKA MoCa adapter) on your router to have all your Tivo (DVR and Mini) on MoCa. (clients)

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It’s new-ish; I’ve seen more people reporting it as an issue. (But haven’t gotten around to testing it, myself.)

... though, I wonder if physically disconnecting the Ethernet cable has a different effect than the Internet being out. (My Roamio Pro and Minis can still talk OK if I just block my Pro’s access to the Internet via Parental Controls in my router. And my MoCA bridge is a standalone device, so not the same scenario.)