1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Plus - no WiFi option in network settings

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by igirl, Jul 6, 2018.

1. igirl

igirl Tivo and EyeTV User

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    I've read the little bit on this and did the full power cycle by pulling the plug and resting a couple of times however the option for WiFi never appears. Ethernet, Moca, IP Address are the only things listed.

We had a lightning strike and so far I've found the HDMI out is gone, and the ethernet is fried too. LAN is all I ever used so I don't know if the WiFi option was ever there - or ever worked? Add to all this we are just 1 month out of our 3 year extended warranty! The USB port is used by a tuning adapter (for cablecard)

Our router, modem and a single cable outlet all sit within a few feet of the Tivo - but no way to hook up to update the guide... I have to figure out a way for it to get program information (Lifetime unit) otherwise it's not looking good.

Any other ideas?

2. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Hook up via MoCA?

P.S. My Roamio Plus, currently hooked up as a MoCA Client, has the Wi-Fi option listed.

3. igirl

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm not sure how MoCa is done without Ethernet and while the cable TV is using the only cable input - so I just add a splitter maybe?

Would something like this do it?

All I want is the ethernet out, turned into a cable line and fed into the Tivo - right? Our cable TV runs through the walls are not all interconnected.

Sory if I sound clueless - I am - MoCa is mystical to me.

Tivo Says:
    1. Connect a coax cable coming from the wall to the coax port on the TiVo box.
    2. Connect an Ethernet cable from your home network to the Ethernet port on the TiVo box.
    3. IMPORTANT: If you are using a TiVo BOLT/BOLT+ with MoCA and you have an antenna connected to your home's coax network, you MUST also install a 70 db POE filter.
    4. If you are setting up your TiVo box for the first time, during Guided Setup choose "Ether- net" as your network connection type if prompted.
    5. After completing Guided Setup, or if you're changing your network settings from a different connection type, go to "Settings & Messages" > "Network Settings" > "Change Network Settings." Then choose "Use this DVR to create a MoCA network."

CopRock likes this.
  4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  5. igirl

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks Joe - sorry I started another thread - it seemed more like non-Roamio specific needs.... We are in a bit of a panic because our guide info will die next week.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The help
    The Help forum is better, but give it a few hours. It's a bit early on a Saturday. I can't give advice since I have never used MoCA for my networking.

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I am assuming you are using the component or composite out since the HDMI is dead. It may be that in addition to the HDMI and Ethernet port, the wireless also got hit and possibly the MoCA circuit also, but the only way to be sure is to try using a separate MoCA adapter located close enough to get an Ethernet cable from the router/switch to connect to the MoCA adapter and then check to see if you can connect your ailing Plus via MoCA.
    The Motorola one you linked to would be a good choice, but you would likely need a MoCA filter installed on the input of the first splitter to enter your home to safely use MoCA unless you are on Fios. If you are on Fios, then if using one of their routers, which have MoCA builtin, you could just try connecting to MoCA as a client now. Some cable companies also have gateways (modem and router combos) which may also be capable of generating MoCA.
    Which ISP and modem equipment are you using?

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Relative to the setup where you’re adding a MoCA adapter at the DVR/router location, ditto everything @fcfc2 said, except, since you’re just looking for an in-room connection for the DVR, you’d just need the “PoE” MoCA filter placed on the input of the 2-way splitter you’d be adding in the room (as you correctly guessed). This would keep the MoCA signals isolated to just the one room.

And, yes, having a Tuning Adapter does affect how you’d connect things, as a Tuning Adapter’s RF pass-through port severely attenuates MoCA signals, requiring an additional split of the coax to directly connect the MoCA-enabled DVR to the coax plant. However, if your chosen MoCA adapter has an RF pass-through port, you can connect the TA to that port, and so would reduce the needed splits.

For example:
    Wall->”PoE” filter|2-way in
    2-way out 1 -> DVR
    2-way out 2 -> MoCA ‘Network’
    MoCA ‘Device’ -> TA “In”
    MoCA ‘Ethernet’ [=] router “LAN”

You would then disconnect the useless Ethernet cable from the DVR and attempt to configure the DVR as a MoCA client.

All that said, be sure to acquire a MoCA adapter from somewhere with a good return policy ... as the MoCA hardware was likely affected along with Ethernet.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018