Roamio Plus Disk Upgrade didn't go well

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Pito Salas, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Pito Salas

Pito Salas New Member

Apr 28, 2018
    This should've been very simple. I have a Roamio Plus, working fine. Per instructions that I found on the web that looked reliable, I got a WD Red 3T hard disk. The installation couldn't' be simpler. Unscrew the old one, unplug the single cable. Screw in the new one. Plug the cable back in. Make sure it is seated well (check again twice later). Power on.

Welcome To Tivo
    Starting Up...

Great. But 6 hours later its still there. Open up, reseat everything. Try it again. 3 days later, same message.

One very subjective thing: While I hear the fan I can't hear the sound of the disk. (p.s. its not an ssd :)

Help please?!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What model is the drive exactly?

3. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    First of all are you sure the drive is good? Did you test it before trying in the Tivo? If so what is the model number as ThAbtO asked? Current model WD 3TB reds are SMR which will most likely not work in a Tivo. If the model number ends in EFAX there is a good chance it will not work in a Tivo. WD lost a lot of credibility with customers when they did this, search the net for WD Red SMR.

One final thing, if the drive is good and is not the EFAX did you try putting the old drive back in? If so did it work?

4. Pito Salas

Pito Salas New Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Thanks for the knowledgeable answers! It's a WD Red Nas Hard Drive, 3TB, WD30EFAX SATA; NASWare 3.0

tommage1 likes this.
  5. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    That is one of the "new" SMR drives :( Hopefully you can exchange/return it. EFRX would be fine (the previous model, it is CMR). Many posts here have "aged" a bit, so blanket recommendations for drive colors might not work out. Most people (myself included), NEVER thought a company would switch one of their premium/specialty/expensive drives to SMR. WD proved that incorrect (and they have paid for it in customer loyalty).

Oh, if you try to return it you could use the explanation of what WD did as a reason, tell them SMR will not work for your application. If you like WD I recommend the purple, it has AV firmware instead of NAS (Tivo is an AV device after all). And all purple models are CMR, for now............................

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  6. Pito Salas

Pito Salas New Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Thanks! Btw I put the old one in and it is fine. Phew. Can you confirm that this one is the right one?

"WD Surveillance Model WD30PURX 3TB Hard Disk Drive 5400 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Purple"

7. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Actually I think the latest model is WD30PURZ. You can check WD website. You can shop around a bit, definitely should be able to get for under $90, maybe $15-20 less. Buy from an authorized reseller so you get full manufacturer warranty (ie receipt from authorized seller). The PURX should work also but PURZ latest model (I think) so why not? ;)