Roamio Plus died

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by randyny, Aug 14, 2020.

1. randyny

randyny New Member

Jan 1, 2007

Advertisements

My Roamio Plus (born 11/13) died after a storm. No screen, lights blink on plugging in the power, but nothing after. The disk/fan ran as well. A calculated gamble had me purchase a power supply from Weaknees at $79. No change. I can return it for $15 restock fee + shipping.

I was about ready to buy an Edge all in with this summer's deal but called TiVo to explore options. A lovely rep told me they would replace the Roamio with a Bolt 3GB for $79. I said do it!. Moments later: "there's a 199 lifetime transfer fee".

I went through the spiel about how this is my 6th TiVo since 2001, 2 minis, never asked for anything, etc. Didn't do anything about the transfer fee, but the Bolt replacement charge was waived. So $199 to upgrade to a Bolt. (She wouldn't give me an Edge)

I add this as info for other members as I was searching for what to do with a dead Roamio. I'd be all over a new Edge but it seems like there is not a big difference, so why spend 5-600 bucks.

And I guess I could sell the Bolt to recoup some costs while taking advantage of the summer Edge deal. But we'll see.

Although I will add that I've been TiVo-less for 2 weeks now, and we've been ok with Roku and LG smartTV -- watching Dexter right now...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Lifetime transfer is $199 except for the 1st month/free.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Did you ever try the Roamio with the composite or component outputs to see if the HDMI output went bad?

4. radtechy

radtechy Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Just walk away, TiVo is not what it used to be they raised both of my month to month agreements and I had to argue to bring them back down. At this point I don’t even care anymore about having TiVo

5. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014

Advertisements

They're clearing out the Bolts so that's why the 'free' one. All in all not a bad a deal for $200. Maybe you can fix the Roamio and sell it to recoup some of the cost.

6. randyny

randyny New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Didn't even bother, because I rely on on the HDMI to auto switch the tv input when using the tivo, and also the HSMI feeds the Bose soundbar through ARC. So even if it worked, it would not work for me.

7. randyny

randyny New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    I do have to return the Roamio. But I was thinking about selling the lifetime Bolt and just get the Edge lifetime. Maybe. Although probably not at this point.

I was just getting used to TE4 with the new VOX remote I got. Tivo is still cool....

8. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    lights blinking is hardware failure hdmi might still be good

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Trying it could have eliminated buying a new power supply, if another output worked.

10. randyny

randyny New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Hey, for better or for worse, they sent me an Edge MG3-R as a replacement. Now of course, they only sent the box and no accessories. Not usually a big deal but the edge takes a barrel adapter and not a line cord. Oh well, another few day wait is in store.

I recent bought the VOX remote for the Roamio. I hope that works with Edge.