1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Plus dead after lightning

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by slowbiscuit, May 28, 2017.

1. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Looks like my luck's run out, had the Tivo on a UPS but I think the hit may have come in from cable.

Symptoms are that it has no video output (no Welcome screen) - green circle lights up when I plug it in then it gets to the flashing yellow circle for a bit like a normal boot up, then it reboots over and over again. Never outputs anything to the screen.

Stuff I've tried:
    component instead of HDMI
    swapped out drive
    unplugged everything except HDMI and power (including cablecard)

I don't think it's getting to the point of spinning the drive, I never hear it. It will respond to remote presses at the flashing yellow circle (when you enter kickstart codes) but nothing changes, it reboots and you see solid green circle then eventually the flashing yellow circles again, over and over.

I would say it could be the PS but it looks normal on boot, maybe doesn't have enough juice to spin up the drive or video output? Anyone have luck with weakness fixing this?

2. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Computer 101... if you want to protect an electronic device you have to protect EVERY line that touches it.
    Not protecting the antenna coax connected to the DVR is like not protecting the phone (modem) line to
    a PC back in the old days.

In certain areas of the country protecting antenna and dish coax into the house from static hits is an expensive lesson so learn the hard way.

Protecting satellite dish coax calls for a surge-spike protector that has a much wider bandwidth than one that protects OTA antenna coax.

Make sure your TV still has video using another source. f it does unplug EVERYTHING from your TiVo and let it sit for about an hour then connect it up, plug it back in and see what you've got.

3. bam1220

bam1220 New Member

Feb 17, 2016
    My bet is also on the power supply. Maybe you can find a used one cheap on the net.

4. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Tested PS and it's putting out 12V at the connector, but I've read that may not be 12V all the time if the PS is the issue. Have another Roamio coming Thursday and I'll try the PS in it connected to my fried box.

Nothing looks fried in the box, btw. Looks good as new, no burnt connections or bulged caps etc.

5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Lost a R-basic after a (Edision) transformer failure, no lights no sound, no nothing!
    The (wall wart) power supply was still good too.
    If you're paying by the month TiVo may sell you a replacement for 50 bucks.

6. Jun 1, 2017 #6 of 32
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    It's a Plus w/lifetime just after the 3 years was up (where they'll do a swap).

Tried another Roamio's PS today on my fried box, no change. It's well and truly dead. Sucks to lose lifetime service to a lightning hit, but at least I got 3 years out of it.

Ordered a coax surge protector for my replacement Roamio. The Tivo was the only thing in the house that got fried, I have no idea why my cable modem or Actiontec MoCA bridge didn't get hit also since they're the other two boxes on coax. Everything else is power only and none of that got fried (all of the important stuff is on UPS though).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  7. Jun 1, 2017 #7 of 32
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Your Roamio gave it up to save the other young fellas. Very honorable thing to do.

ClearToLand likes this.
  8. Jun 3, 2017 #8 of 32
    chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Unplug for 24 hours and try again. This worked once for me on a Premiere. My Roamio is on a UPS and I use the coax surge protector on that UPS for my Tivo now.

9. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Bumping so hubby can find this in the morning. A huge lightning strike took out most of out electronics this morning and we're hoping the Tivo could be saved.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    :(

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Not good. :(

What are the symptoms? Any lights? Can you hear the fan or hard drive?

Scott

12. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    The red recording ring light is on constantly. The power light fluctuates/flickers. The fans come on. No video from any cable.

Any hope?

At this point I just want my recordings. I don’t care if I have to buy a new unit. Lol We did put in an upgraded hard drive so are hoping we can pull it and maybe transfer it if the unit is dead.

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Possibly the power supply. Can you or your husband measure the voltages it's supplying (Although I've repaired S3/HD power supplies due to the capacitor issues, I haven't looked at the Roamio power supply)? It's possible though that if you get the power supply fixed that the motherboard could have taken a hit as well. :(

Unfortunately, no option to recover the shows on the hard drive if you can't revive this TiVo since the drive/shows are married to it.

Scott

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Have you checked to see, even with the external issues, if the box is still on the network? Perhaps your router can display connected devices? If so, you may be able to pull off the programs.

Teeps likes this.
  15. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Or at least stream the encrypted programming to a different functional tivo.

16. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    It wasn’t accessible via Tivo online when I first checked. I’ll check again.

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you know its IP address, you can check with your PC easily. There is an FTP interface for TiVo boxes. But TiVo Online would be easier.

18. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    So I got momentarily excited because Tivo online shows the box as being 57% full and shows appeared on the list...but then when I looked closed, it's just a random assortment of shows under the "all shows" tab but they are all just shows that you can apparently stream? Like this is the list in its entirety--we obviously have a ton more shows and we can't even do anything with these.

upload_2018-5-13_14-29-54.png

And if we to the Manage tab, it says: There is a problem communicating with this TiVo box. Make sure your box is connected to your home network, then try again.

So I can't even get the OPs off. :(

19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry, I get that data from a TiVo that is powered off. Things look bad.

20. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Well, Tivo will replace the box for $149 and transfer the lifetime for $199.

Does anyone know if you can wipe a hard drive previously used for a Tivo and start over? (Assuming of course there is no damage to the hard drive.)

Mikeguy likes this.