Roamio Plus blinking green light

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Eudmin, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Eudmin

Eudmin New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Montgomery...
    I accidentally turned off the power strip my Roamio was on overnight and in the morning I just got a blinking green light. No other lights are blinking or lit.

I read that on the Roamio it was likely a hard drive issue, not a motherboard or power supply, so I bought a new drive and installed it, but after powering up it is still blinking green.

Any suggestions for what to do? Should I try the hair dryer trick on a Roamio Plus?

Thanks.

2. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    TiVo Has Lights Flashing on the Front

3. Eudmin

Eudmin New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Montgomery...
    Sure, I've seen that, but "flashing green lights" is only listed under Series 3. I have a series 5 which only has "all lights flashing" that isn't what I'm experiencing.

4. Eudmin

Eudmin New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Montgomery...
    Interestingly, if I leave it plugged in with the green flashing light it will boot eventually and then works. It takes between 15 minutes and a couple of hours to boot.

Once I saw it boot on the original hard drive I pulled it out and used "mfscopy -a" to clone the original 1TB drive to the new 2TB drive so I could keep the shows, cablecard setup, and OnePass configuration.

Now it eventually boots after blinking for a while on the new drive and correctly shows lots of capacity, but it is having trouble connecting to the Tivo service. I get an S303 error where it fails at loading data.

I'm trying to do a KS58, but it's a challenge when I have to wait an unknown amount of time for the green flashing light to go away before getting the flashing yellow when I can trigger kickstart. If I miss it or do it wrong I have a while to wait to try again.

Tivo suggests I keep it offline for a couple of days and then let it try to connect again, so that's what I'm doing now.

Anyone seen a unit that will blink green for a really long time before booting?

5. Eudmin

Eudmin New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Montgomery...
    OK. I read a few more threads here and managed to do the KS 58 on my cloned/expanded drive that wasn't loading series data.

I had been holding pause for 2 seconds like it said on weaknees, but a thread here said just to hit it and enter the code when the yellow ring went solid. It booted and gave the "Applying Update, wait a few minutes" message instead of the GSOD and has been sitting there for about 18 hours now.

Any suggestion for what to do next?

6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Sure sounds like a hardware issue to me, you need a new box.

7. Eudmin

Eudmin New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Montgomery...
    You're probably right. The activation cost is what would prevent me from getting a new one. I don't know if I can get local approval to invest around $1k in the new Edge with lifetime. If I could transfer the lifetime I have on this one I'd definitely buy one, though. Maybe it's worth a call to see.

8. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    You have a Roamio now, buy a lifetime replacement Roamio on fleabay or locally (check the for sale here). It's not like the Edge is any massive improvement for the money and right now I wouldn't give Rivo another dime the way they're jerking folks around with ads.

I did this a couple of years ago when my Roamio died after a lightning hit that killed the MB, have had no issues with the box I got on fleabay.