Roamio Plus behaving badly.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mattyro7878, Sep 9, 2019 at 10:59 AM.

1. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Just now I could not 30 sec skip. Hit Tivo button to restart and I have been looking at a BSC for 3 minutes. I have MY SHOWS highlightrd and can't do anything further. Arrows don't work Back button don't wirk and the Amber light on the box is not showing that I hit a button. Brand New batteries.. I am about to unplug. Any suggestions?

2. bigalfromchicago

bigalfromchicago New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    Probably won't work if the amber button doesn't reflect button presses, but if you have access to KMTTG you could try forcing a reboot through there, it's a bit kinder than unplugging it.
    Does the time at the upper right update, or is it stuck?

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    soft reboot:
    Thumbs Down
    Thumbs Up
    Play
    Play

If the amber LED is not active, pull the plug.

Noelmel and ufo4sale like this.
  4. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    I just pulled the plug and a few minutes later all is well. Very odd not being able to navigate when on the home screen . Thanks for the quick helpful responses!

5. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    It may be a delusion but this box seems to be a lot snappier and more responsive than I have been used to.

6. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    How long had it been since the box was restarted?

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    When my TiVo box occasionally acts up, I remind myself that it is a computer, after all; and then I think of how my Win10 laptop can behave, and I calm down. ;)

8. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    It had been quite a while.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It's really sad that people are used to this. Yes, I am too, but I use *in progress* software more than most people. Especially released products _should_ not have this problem.

(..and though I'm not claiming there weren't any, BESIDES being slow as dirt, series 1 Tivos seemed to have only one extremely common user noticeable bug -- where you could tell there was going to be a conflict before it told you, because the icon would move a few pixels from where it previously was.. Basically the screen redrew but the screens weren't actually identical.)

Tivos (though with the "old" UI) nowadays blink the freaking My Shows list every 10 seconds or whatever, and have for years. I can't believe they're not ashamed to ship such a stupid bug.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    First thing to do when a bug creeps in, reboot.

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Hmm--I seem to have been blessed with immunity from this one, on my Roamio and Bolt boxes (knock wood).

12. SydniusToo

SydniusToo New Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Symptoms like hanging can be an indicator your Roamio's hard drive is failing. If the symptoms persist, replacing the hard drive may be something to consider. I had the occasional hang, which became more and more frequent, until the machine wouldn't restart. Luckily, I was able to dd that drive to a new one with no issues. Intermittent drive failures can be like that. After replacing the drive, the Roamio purrs again (once the damn Cablecard was reset-cursed UUIDS).

13. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    A Roamio plus hard drive can just be swapped?? No mfs kttg ifttv isis lgbtq? I can take one out, put one in and it will format on its own??

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Up to 3GB.

Noelmel and mattack like this.
  15. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You have the old UI right? Just go into My Shows (Now Playing, whatever the heck they call it this year)... and let it sit..

The whole freaking list redraws every 10 seconds or something. I see it on both my P4 and Roamio Pro.

I'm guessing that was the most expedient way to fix some kind of display bug they had, rather than some intelligent "erase and redraw only the sections of the page that changed" algorithm. Heck, the series 3 (maybe it was on series 2 but I never had a series 2) non-elegant list draw was a minor issue too -- but that one was acceptable since it made the system not slow as dirt (as S1 was), and could refresh a zillion items relatively quickly. (Mine still do this too, I'm just trying to say this specific other issue has been there a long time and IMHO was an "acceptable tradeoff".)

16. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    yes, as stated, up to 3 GB.. so just to state the obvious that I think you already get -- obviously you don't have any of your shows on your old drive this way.. so you could copy (unprotected) old shows to another Tivo or download to a computer..

Noelmel likes this.
  17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    As I said, I must be blessed--no such issue (on Roamio and Bolt TE3 boxes).

18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No issues with this here either on our Roamio Pro with TE3. Sat on the My Shows screen for 2 minutes and watched it and not a single blink/refresh/redraw. Panasonic 65" plasma with Roamio Pro set to 1080i output currently fed out through an Onkyo receiver using component cables (receiver is old enough to not have any HDMI ports).

Scott

19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have no problems either, but I remember a while back there was a bug where My Shows would refresh every 5 or 10 seconds trying to get SM information. I think a restart was needed to stop it.

Noelmel likes this.
  20. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Same here. In fact, I do not recall EVER having seen this phenomenon on any of my TiVo's up to and including my current Roamio Pro (on TE3).